The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New engine selection for new hull
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
westward

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earlier Quote: "Good luck & pay no attention to the Nay Sayers!!!"

...unless your naval architect is a "Nay Sayer"
tomherrick

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, got my stuff together and sent my plan drawings and write-up to the NA for his review and input. If, if, he's a nay-sayer on this, well I'll be disappointed, but I've heard tell that safe and slightly bummed is way better than cocky and dead.

Here's an image of the old Angler brochure drawing and my design superimposed. Shows pretty well what was and what might be. I already have the hull extended up to the proposed bracket.

llcundiff

City/Region: Versailles
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: PrairieBoy
Photos: PrairieBoy
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Making progress! Reply with quote

I'm really looking forward to boating with you. It's looking great.
LL
tomherrick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still waiting on NA for his yea or nay on the hull. In the meantime I've been busy with Illustrator and thought I'd share the current iteration.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your project is an interesting idea. However, I wonder about its cost effectiveness. It seems that such a major "adjustment" to a 22 would not be expensive. For the money spent, couldn't just buy a bigger boat?

That being said, if we were all being cost effective, none of us would have boats!
tomherrick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bartered for this one, so it didn't cost me actual money initially. So far, the glass and epoxy and core materials were in the neighborhood of $2,500 and I'm doing all the labor. Certainly there will be lots of additional costs, but I'm estimating that the done project will be pushing around $20,000 with the repower, head, tanks, gadgets... Kinda hard to get a 28' C-Dory for that price. Heck, I could fall flat on my face with this thing, but so far, so good. I kinda like doing projects that require experience that's over my head. Keeps me learning...

Like your helm seat, SoBELLE. Build it from scratch or modify an existing seat?
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my gut tells me 115 won't be enough.
digger

City/Region: Spokane
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Sik
Photos: Snoopy-C
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to see some more of the glassed c-flex. Ready to see it ready to float.
ssobol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomherrick wrote:
....Like your helm seat, SoBELLE. Build it from scratch or modify an existing seat?

That's just the stock seat. I added the hinges and cut the existing base in half. It's just black Starboard.

One half of the base was left in the original position and the other half was moved to the front edge of the seat bottom to provide an attachment for the hinges. Some chair leg feet were put on the bottom of the aft half of the base as spacers to compensate for the thickness of the hinges. This was a lot easier than cutting and modifying the hinges on the seat between the bottom and the back like some people have done.
tomherrick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Digger Not me, no I'm happy to have it take up half my geeradge so I can't do any large woodworking projects. Confused Like for the past four years... I'm feeling good about finally getting this hunka glass upright and in the water!

@SoBELLE Cool. I like that. Somebody had set up theirs to fold forward at the hinge and lay flat to become additional galley space. I liked that too. Lots of choices...
tomherrick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allright, one last post of my last drawings for the NA to review.

T.R., the more I spend time with the drawings, the more I tend to agree that 115HP is gonna be a tad light-duty.
tomherrick

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N.A. say yea! We've kicked around a few variations on fillets and gussets on the bracket to ensure it stays on the boat, but don't become trip hazards - as it's also a swim-step - but we're there. I like nearly all of his suggestions and the ones I didn't we found common ground after swapping design ideas.

Now, all I gotta do is build it. Rolling Eyes
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is absolutely so cool. Cigar Beer Good on you for doing such a great project. Looking forward to more pictures and description of the on going work.
Cheers
Ron
ssobol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you proposing to put the batteries? Having them at the very back (like most C-Dorys) is not the best place (IMO).

Mine has two batteries in the starboard lazarette. Moving them and rewiring will be a PITA.
tomherrick

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batteries? Well, in the back, of course... The cockpit side decks will be 10" wide to accommodate side-mounted fuel and other tanks; the aft deck at the transom is to be 16" wide to accommodate battery storage and a propane locker.

ssobol, what's your aversion to storage in the very back? If it's weight aft, the N.A. kept after me to move tanks back due to the increased buoyancy that this bracket adds. I wanted a freshwater tank under the V-berth where the original aluminum fuel tank was, but he nixed that and kept me moving tanks further aft. I keep remembering how hard it was to see over the bow on plane due to the shallow-angled transom (10° vs current 15°); I was always wanting more weight forward, making it a little hard for me to accept his math. Science vs. guts... Anyway, if aft placement is based on other concerns, I'd like to hear more about it.

Bracket cores are the project of the week - hopefully just one... ...week, that is...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: