Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJF, with the average current running 7 mph & us going 12 mph, we would gain very slowly on a canoe we were over taking, so I can see how a well fit person with good knowledge of the river does it, but for sure it is a tremendous test of endurance & river knowledge. If it had only been a few days to wait, we would have loved to see them off. This year with the low water it's going to be extra tough on them. We came up behind one just as we entered one of the worst stretches of shallow braided current & they like us were searching for a channel deep enough too. I can see after watching this lone guy in a canoe, that a bad choice could easily put him in a world of hurt.

Harvey, I enjoy & appreciate your comments. On another note, I have been getting much better at using the twins for boat control & was also very surprised at how well the single 40 hp motor was performing with the lighter boat.

Bob, your comment was appreciated & considered as very high praise from one whom I have the deepest respect.

doc

City/Region: Auke Bay
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Bella Rey
Photos: C-Alaska
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you made it in one piece, with a good time to boot. I was a little concerned that I noted you heading down the Cassiar Hwy before I thought you'd have made it to Eagle. Good move not to push it though since there is a lot of wilderness out there and no spare parts all the way out to the Bering Sea. It was sure good to see you guys up here again this spring.
AKflyfishn

City/Region: Port Alexander
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Winsome
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunkydory wrote:
NewMoon wrote:
Hi Jay,

Any chance you could post that advice on rounding Cape Omanney? (or have you already done so and I missed it?)

Richard, I'm glad to & if off any, I hope Kevin will correct me & add to. Start at slack or just into a ebb tide with winds less then 15 knots, best if from the easterly direction & west & northwest the worst. Stay the closer the better to the cape when rounding & not go outside Wooden Island. The tide rips can be bad all the way up to Redfish Bay. The tide rips & big waves are mainly created by the normally strong current going north by the tip of the cape & continuing up the west coast of Baranof Island. Add a flooding tide to this against a west or northwest wind & huge short spaced waves are stacked up. The northwest wind at Port Alexander can be blowing only 15 knots & at the same time due to the shape of the Cape on the west side 40 knots.

By going around Cape Ommaney from Port Alexander to Sitka & leaving at the suggested ebb tide the waves are more flattened out & you still get the extra speed boost of the current all the way to Sitka. Coming from the north it would all be much the same for avoiding the rips, but you must then go against the current. My charts show tide rips between the Cape & Wooden Island, where it's actually best to go, but just stay very close to the Cape side not Wooden Island. I've had some fisherman describe this as the mink trail around the Cape.

Jay
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We returned to home here in Cokeville, Wy today with a road trip of 2870 miles from Dawson City, Yukon Territory with a detour to Amboy, Washington, to return Louie to his home & us a good visit with Jo-Lee's sister & other relatives.

This trip included 2062 miles with the boat in the water & 5787 miles on the road & all 67 nights we were gone from home were spent on the boat.

The Yukon River part of this adventure was by far the most challenging boating experience we have engaged in & this includes all our past Alaska cruises & time spent on our small Rubber inflatable exploring rivers & lakes in the Yukon & Northwest Territories & British Columbia. In a jet boat it would have been a breeze, but in a 22 foot prop driven C-Dory with the low waters encountered, a experience very hard to describe to one not there. The worst area was the first 200 hundred miles down from Whitehorse, a area we breezed both up & down in 2003 with almost zero prior experience at that time operating a boat type like our 22 foot C-Dory. The difference being, the very low water making correct boat placement in the River, almost all the time a must. Even with our now 14 boating seasons experience in our CD 22, going up stream, like we did in 2003, this year would have been impossible for us to do. In the planning of this River run, we thought the section down from Fort Selkirk would be by far the most difficult & it was difficult, but no where near, as the shallow water upper end. It's a experience, we would not repeat in the same water conditions, but I'm very glad, we went ahead this year. It's one of those experiences, that will be lived over many times in our minds, when the real ones, we can no longer do.

The ocean part of this trip beat our best expectations & even with such a early start turned into one of the very best cruises we have made.
AJF

City/Region: Hamlet of Mt. Lorne near Whitehorse
State or Province: YT
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The river levels peaked around June 17th and have been going down since then. For this year your timing for doing the river was pretty good. I'll be curious to see how the YRQ racers find the river after they get to Dawson.
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too. Please share what you hear.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay and Joleen,

Glad to hear you are home safe. What a trip. Will be looking forward to seeing the photos and hearing more of your story, in person would do, somewhere down the line.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: