The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

What's in the keel?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Years ago I used to do some FG work, using resins, hardiners and thickeners, but that was back when I was helping Noah build the Ark, so I forgot a lot. And it was generations ago from what is available now.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realize the ark was fiberglass Mr. Green
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the parts under the elephant stalls. Wink

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

rsudama

City/Region: Denman Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Seagull
Photos: Seagull
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: fixed for now Reply with quote

To follow up with some information, I did purchase this boat and have done some initial repair to the keel (yes, I did crawl under the boat, and even in the rain). I scraped away as much of the exposed mat as needed down to solid glass and determined that the keel is NOT solid, it appears to have some kind of coring, but not balsa. This seemed like a charcoal grey slab as near as I could tel, almost like a strip of carbon fiber.

In any case, I did NOT try to use epoxy with filler as described, because I have too much experience with that sagging no matter how stiff you make it, and I don't relish having a faceful of the stuff (or of having to shore up the repair to keep the keel flat). I used Marine Tex, an epoxy putty, which as I suspected was much stiffer and stickier. I was able to force it up into the area I had cleaned out as well as shape it and smooth it off fairly well flush with the bottom of the keel. At some point I'll sand this whole area down to the glass and apply some tape to further protect it.

Thanks for all the info on this, it was very helpful.

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Just the parts under the elephant stalls. Wink

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

I think that was a controversial mod made during the Tom Latham era of the ark factory. Earlier ark owners commented that they much preferred the wood elephant stalls as they were easier to work on with normal carpentry tools while later owners appreciated the ease of clean-up.

beermanPDX

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Photos: Jean Marie
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:

I think that was a controversial mod made during the Tom Latham era of the ark factory. Earlier ark owners commented that they much preferred the wood elephant stalls as they were easier to work on with normal carpentry tools while later owners appreciated the ease of clean-up.

On paper, the ark was meant to be towed by at least 50 horses, but many towed it with only 20 and were just fine.

And since the ark had two of everything, it was obviously powered by twins.

Rob
2008 25 Cruiser - Sold
2002 Nordic Tug 32/4 - Sold
1989 40 Tollycraft Sport Sedan
Blueback

City/Region: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Blueback
Photos: Blueback
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What's in the keel? Reply with quote

rsudama wrote:
I'm looking at a C-Dory 22 that has some damage to the back end of the keel. It looks like when it was put on or off the trailer the keel may have scraped on concrete - the gelcoat is removed completely for about 2' and the mat is roughed up, as if someone had gone over it with a rasp. I'm not concerned about the cosmetics of this, it's easily repaired. But I am aware that the 22's have a balsa-cored hull. The question is, does the coring extend down into the keel itself; or is the keel solid fiberglass; or is it filled with something else like plywood or solid wood? My concern is whether water could have entered at the bottom of the keel and made its way up into the balsa coring of the surrounding hull.

I would address you question another way. We are a great self-supporting group here - but at times I think only the Factory can address different hull lay-up methods - if any- over the different years of production. After all, you would ask the automotive dealership on difficult questions for your vehicle - who in turn may go on line to the factory for the answer--wouldn't you? Many times we are left to guess as to how these Dorys were constructed in terms of where the balsam cored areas are etc. Then, at times, we may end up with conjecture only on this Forum. This leaves me a little concerned as to the real factory supported answers. May I suggest that you contact the Factory with your question and then come back to us with the answer that we would all buy into as the official answer if this problem arises with others. I think at times we may underestimate the symbiotic relationship we have here with the C-Dory Company. C-Brats try not to bug the factory with trivial questions and that's what great about this forum but at times I think a factory answer "shared" is the best way to go--WSYA.

3-Work at rebuilding the endangered runs of salmonids on the West Coast
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What's in the keel? Reply with quote

Blueback wrote:
... at times I think only the Factory can address different hull lay-up methods - if any- over the different years of production..... This leaves me a little concerned as to the real factory supported answers. May I suggest that you contact the Factory with your question and then come back to us with the answer that we would all buy into as the official answer if this problem arises with others.

I'm all for doing source research (i.e. looking up manuals, calling engineering departments, etc.), but the person questioning this has a 2000 C-Dory. That's about six "factories" (builders) ago. And even within a builder it's very common for things to be done differently one year (or even one month) and another, one employee or another, or one stocking situation or another ("we're out of X. Okay, I'll order more, just use Y for today."). The builder might not even be sure (even if you could find the person who built it sixteen years ago). This applies to more than just C-Dory, so I'm not knocking them.

Again, I'm all for primary research, but in this case asking here is likely to be more productive, and I'd say probably the better bet (not that one can't do both).
Blueback

City/Region: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Blueback
Photos: Blueback
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What's in the keel? Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
Blueback wrote:
... at times I think only the Factory can address different hull lay-up methods - if any- over the different years of production..... This leaves me a little concerned as to the real factory supported answers. May I suggest that you contact the Factory with your question and then come back to us with the answer that we would all buy into as the official answer if this problem arises with others.

I'm all for doing source research (i.e. looking up manuals, calling engineering departments, etc.), but the person questioning this has a 2000 C-Dory. That's about six "factories" (builders) ago. And even within a builder it's very common for things to be done differently one year (or even one month) and another, one employee or another, or one stocking situation or another ("we're out of X. Okay, I'll order more, just use Y for today."). The builder might not even be sure (even if you could find the person who built it sixteen years ago). This applies to more than just C-Dory, so I'm not knocking them.

Again, I'm all for primary research, but in this case asking here is likely to be more productive, and I'd say probably the better bet (not that one can't do both).

Good answer Sunbeam -- I had no idea there were 6-! factory builders since 2000-- this almost becomes impossible then to do more than an educated guess. Maybe though the factory builders-now- are still the most educated to guess-- or somebody who has opened up the keel for that vintage--eh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: