The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

SO WHAT DID YOU DO WITH OR ON YOUR C-DORY TODAY??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 232, 233, 234 ... 279, 280, 281  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had Kerri On afloat for a few days as we check everything out. Great cruise around the harbour and lunch at the Dinghy Dock pub, sunny days
She's all buffed and tidy and ready for the season
I recalled last summer wot with liveaboard load was exactly 5500 if trimmed perfectly in flat water, so I double checked my prop today and found I had my "light boat" sea level prop on 13 1/2 x 17
I swapped it for my "fat boat sea level " prop 13 1/2 x 15 which should be back on track
See you on the water
George
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to drive to Portland on Wednesday, so I took my C Dory because the weather was supposed to be in the 80s. I spent Thursday on the Columbia river (which was open for King fishing and was very busy). Went through the Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge, up the Willamette river, up the Multnomah Channel, circumnavigated Sauvie Island, Goat Island, Bachelor Island, went to St. Helens, Columbia City, etc.

I'd always wanted to go through the backwaters and sloughs in that area. Because of the amount of boat traffic, the wildlife viewing wasn't that great. I had to pole myself into sloughs to get away from boat traffic. A few of those areas were loaded with waterfowl.

I was planning on spending my first night aboard, but it is spring break for the kiddies and every beach was covered with tents. Difficult to avoid the maddening crowds. On Friday, I trailered up towards Cougar and boated on the Lake Merwin reservoir.

Learned a lot.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Grazer

City/Region: Yukon
State or Province: YT
Vessel Name: C-Horse
Photos: Grazer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished up some interior storage modifications that I am going to enjoy this summer. Check out the overhead rod storage. Basically it is for security storage when not on the boat and to keep the UV from damaging fishing lines etc.

The rod butts go into the holders on the shelf and the rod tips are held up by a strap with plastic buckle Makes for easy placement and retrieval. Not recommended for those folks who are NOT "vertically challenged".

Now it looks like it is getting closer to getting on the water. Enjoy your summer Brats.
Cheers,
Grazer
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a few things done over the past couple days.

1) Engine maintenance on my Yamaha 80. This is the first time I've done it vs. a shop. Luckily the local shop where I bought my parts was helpful when I had a snag or two, so I successfully changed the engine oil and filter, and the lower unit oil (which looked clean and no sign of water). I'll detail the "couple of things" here in case it might help anyone else.

a) I could NOT get the oil filter off. I had a large "scissor" type oil filter wrench that has worked great on all my vehicles, but no go on the boat. I saw Yamaha had a cap type one that took a socket drive, so I popped into the local dealer to buy one. He instead loaned me his, saying it would very likely slip, and then also loaned me his HUGE channel lock type plyers (that were not only very large but had notched angles in the "blades").

Sure enough, the Yamaha official oil filter remover just slipped right off (the oil filter laughed). Even with the huge plyers, I had to absolutely mangle the filter (luckily the grippy notches in the plyer blades worked). But it finally came off, and no harm done. I did use the Yamaha filter cap with a torque wrench to torque the new one to EXACTLY Yamaha's spec, so I will find out next time if it was put on too tightly or if they just "do that." I did note that although the oil change was an "owner maintenance" item, they had the "take it to your dealer" annotation on the oil filter change. Hmmm....

b) I had a hard time getting the lower unit plugs not to leak. They are an aluminum plug at the top, with a gasket; and a steel one at the bottom (magnetic) with another of the same gasket. Since they have slotted screw heads, it's hard to put much force on them without mangling the heads. I couldn't get them up to Yamaha torque spec, and couldn't get them to stop seeping. Back to the local shop... He said half the time when they get new engines from Yamaha, they go out to the parking lot after a few days (they sell engines on boats) and .... drips under the lower unit. So it's not just me. Anyway, he showed me how he does it. First, a LARGE screwdriver with a square shaft or a hex place on the shaft. Then a wrench on the shaft. Push really hard on screwdriver, then "ooch" the wrench a little bit at a time, compressing the gasket. I went and bought a Big Daddy 3/8" Craftsman screwdriver, then used a spanner on the square shaft (fits 3/8" but my 10mm was longer and also fit, so I used that). Voila, it worked! I was able to get the screws much tighter and stop the seep (I tightened a little at a time, then gave it some time and checked, then did a bit more). I also picked up two new plugs since I had very slightly marred the heads on the old ones. But since I was able to get the old ones tight and they are not mangled, I saved the new ones for spares.

2) Started cleaning up my wiring. This is a bigger job that I'm doing in stages. Stage 1 (after planning of course) was to re-do the start/engine battery and wiring (I needed to be able to tilt the engine to do the work). That's done now. I did the following:

a) Cut 9' engine cables (6AWG) down to just what was needed to get into the lazarette and have a little to work with.

b) Ran positive to switch, then to new start battery with fuse at battery.

c) Ran negative to new dual power post, then to start battery.

Other cables will later run from there up to my new house area forward, plus there is a negative feeding a small "lazarette bus" (will be powered from house positive though).

I have made all the main cables for the next stage, which is re-locating the house battery. I have the battery tray made as well, but won't be continuing that until I get back from a friend's place (helping out on a job). I've also "undone" and labeled the mess behind the helm and am planning out the replacement. I enjoy working on wiring, and it's rewarding to have it tidied up and know every inch of it. I can't wait to finish digging in when I get back!
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had to reprocess symbol files from Xcode to my iPhone and KickerServo app to get it going again. Although the app could connect to the BLE, servo was not responding. Got out the voltmeter and made sure there was voltage back to the servo and that the signal wire was changing voltage appropriately under app control. Therefore I think my servo is dead. Ordered another one from Hong Kong for $5. It will be up again soon.

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
A Fishin C

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a used wallas 800 with 220 blower lid and moved my sink.

Learned a lot.
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed new Garmin electronics- radar, sonar, charts and heading sensor. Downloaded and installed new updates.
Now waiting for a couple of NMEA 2000 connectors to finish tying in the auto pilot and radio to the system.
Will be installing AIS in the next couple months.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Hawk wrote:
Installed new Garmin electronics- radar, sonar, charts and heading sensor.

Oooh, sounds nice! I'd be interested to know which plotter and radar you chose. I don't have radar/autopilot/etc. yet so once I choose for sure it will be a "full meal deal." Always interested in what other folks have chosen.

I bet you're going to love it!
Jackie

City/Region: Ketchikan
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Lil' Bit
Photos: Lil Bit
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent about 40 minutes practicing my solo docking! That may not sound big, but it is what held me back from ever taking my other boat out alone. I always did the driving and docking....but never alone. I'd pull in and let someone else jump out to tie up, or vice versa. After today I realize I probably could have done it in my other boat.....but I'm glad I got the 16 cruiser. It's just perfect.

My son-in-law and I discussed how best to dock alone. I told him I'd read (on here ?) about having a line from the center cleat, with a loop in the end, that was just about the length to the back cleat. The plan was to reach out the side window and drop it over the cleat on the end of the dock.....until I got on board and opened the window! Yikes....no hanging my arm out that opening! Fortunately the 16 is short so it wasn't a problem to step out side, drop it over, then get back to the controls. I hooked the loop on the end of my boat hook and only once did I miss the cleat with it. I know I've seen things that would help make sure the loop stays, but this worked at least today.

Of course the water was quite still, but I practiced on both sides of the finger so that I had to do things a bit differently. I put her in neutral when I was coming in correctly, step out to grab the cleat, then I'd get back in and bump it into forward and turn the wheel away from the dock. That would tighten the line and bring me to dock. The only times I had a problem was when I turned the wrong way...gotta really drill into my head 'away from dock!' I didn't always get into position on the first try, but that isn't a problem; they are used to me backing up and retrying and even circling around to get a better angle. Though I've improved a lot!

Just after we tied up and were heading off the dock, two big humpbacks passed by the opening between the two breakwaters. I wanted to get in the boat an trail at a respectful distance, but my daughter wouldn't go for it. We watched from afar and they put on an amazing display. They even breached fully at exactly the same time, then started rolling and tail slapping. And we could have been so close! Oh well. I got what I needed out of the excursion. I posted some pictures in my album.

Jackie
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about a 16, but in a single engine 22 you have to pay attention to the wind speed and direction. It doesn't take much wind from the wrong direction to made docking a 22 "interesting". Going into a marina with narrow fairways in a 20 mph wind is "exciting". The bow will fall off with the wind pretty much as soon as the power is cut. If you are doing it by yourself you need to plan well and be confident and decisive. If you have a crew mate handling the lines, they have to be confident and decisive.
Jackie

City/Region: Ketchikan
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Lil' Bit
Photos: Lil Bit
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with you, ssobol, which is why I was practicing. I've come in here many times with wind and current from a variety of directions so I am careful to think in advance about which way I'm going to get blown. And I would prefer to have company, but I don't want to sit home any longer when I really want to get out but can't find anyone who wants to go with me. Practicing will give me that confidence, and even when I have folks with me now I will make them sit back while I try to dock alone. For me the key has been finding a way that I can do it alone without thinking I need to run out and grab a cleat by hand or pull up perfectly smoothly (which doesn't happen in the wind and current) then jump off with bow and stern lines in hand; I can't manage that alone like I do when someone else is steering and I'm tying up. The method I practiced, using the loop on the dock pole, really worked for me. As I continue to practice it I will become confident in more situations.

Jackie
jimicliff

City/Region: Mount Dora
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: Ocklawaha Queen
Photos: Ocklawaha Queen
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm disabled and have been driving my 16 cruiser for three years now, I simply don't have an option. What I'm saying is I'm not staying home for any reason. I hang my fender out on the window cleat and loop my dock line threw the same cleat as well and hang the remainder of the dock line across the bottom of the window. So when I come in to the dock in reverse or forward I'm able to just slap my line around the dock cleat immediately I already have my stearn line set up the same except my line is in the splash well. If it's stormy I havet the boat pole out as well if conditionsre are that bad. I'm not bragging but I am saying with practice it's really not that hard but it sure as hell takes practice. My boat has taken away my disability because if it's shallow draft and manavorablity. Oh and the Davit that other Sea Dory owners use on this sight did the trick on helping me get my electric scooter on and off my boat as well. I'm not wanting any one to feel bad ok, I'm just saying it can be done easily with just a lot of practice, go out in bad weather to learn that's how to do it. I just got a new lunch anchor, a Lewmar claw, Amazon said it was 4lbs well the factory tag said 2.5 lbs. I decided to try it out any way, that's just me . The horizon started getting dark but my radar showed no rain, in 15 min the wind picked up to 20mph, my forward deck took on water three times that how much the weather picked up, that 2.5 plow anchor with 5 feet of chain held me. Someone from their home saw how much my boat was rocking and going sideways made a 911 call. I had managed to get the anchor up and was on my way to the windward shore to put my anchor lines away when the police got to me. When they pulled along side they said Oh! If we had known it was you Cliff we would have known everything was ok. Again not bragging but practice is the trick and I can't believe that tiny 2.5 lb claw anchor did the job. Hail C Dory the real Swiss Knife of water craft.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimicliff wrote:
Hail C Dory the real Swiss (Army) Knife of water craft.

Nice post and statement to remember!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
C-Hawk

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing the old Furuno system and installing the Garmin AIS 800 transceiver to go with the new Garmin 7610xsv.
C-Hawk

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Hawk wrote:
Removing the old Furuno system and installing the Garmin AIS 800 transceiver to go with the new Garmin 7610xsv.

OOPS-- I mean Garmin AIS 600--- pour me another cup of coffee, please- I need to wake up.

Roger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 232, 233, 234 ... 279, 280, 281  Next
Page 233 of 281

Jump to: