The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Hydraulic steering maintenance
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AK Angler wrote:
Instead of trying to balance a quart bottle of hydraulic fluid with a pinhole in it to let the oil flow as described by Seastar (that just seems like a mess waiting to happen), I made an adapter for a funnel out of a brass hose fitting that screws into the helm, a short length of stiff fuel line, some black tape, and of course, a funnel. (You may be able to see the fuel line going up into the neck of the funnel a couple of inches.) It works for me...

I like it AK! Thumbs Up

You wouldn't happen to remember the size of that fitting would you? Like Mark, it's time for me to bleed our system for the first time too.

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, I was gonna pull our plug and take to Home Depot. Their plumbing dept has lots of brass fittings like that. It's on my honey-do list for today.

Harvey, the stuff I ordered is en-route. Company is called "Sky Geek". They sell aviation parts/supplies. Per the spec, it is a suitable substitute; only difference is it has red dye in it so leaks on planes/jets are more easily located/observed. Seems Seastar charges a "marine" premium for their brand.

Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark. That's a good idea. I downloaded the SeaStar manual and under helm pump port fittings it says 1/4" NPT. I think I'll look for one of those.

Peter
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
Peter, I was gonna pull our plug and take to Home Depot. Their plumbing dept has lots of brass fittings like that. It's on my honey-do list for today.

Harvey, the stuff I ordered is en-route. Company is called "Sky Geek". They sell aviation parts/supplies. Per the spec, it is a suitable substitute; only difference is it has red dye in it so leaks on planes/jets are more easily located/observed. Seems Seastar charges a "marine" premium for their brand.

Stop by a dealer. Typically, you get a cap with tube and fitting with a quart of SeaStar fluid. The dealers just use the fluid for their pressure bleeders, and toss the rest. My dealer gave me a couple of the tubes with fittings.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: