The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Tow Vehicles 2013 and newer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Ridgeline does share an engine with the newest Pilot and the power output is up significantly over the older versions. They also have more gears to push the power through. The new Ridgeline transmission is a 6 speed auto while the new Pilot offers a 9 speed unit. I have not seen any mention of why there is that difference. Maybe the 9 speed is a little more fragile?

I can say it is the first "truck" I have even considered owning in the last 20 years. But I am not a truck person.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the Ridgeline is a pickup. Really don't care for a pickup, but then if it's still more SUV like, I could live with it. Colby
Jake

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you have the Highlander, Pilot and Ridgeline all at 5,000 lbs tow capacity. All good for at least a short distance tow of a 22. Maybe the longer wheelbase of the Ridgeline would be a plus?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longer wheel base would help. The standard Pilot transmission is the 6 speed. The nine speed is only in the higher end:

Quote:
Pilot Touring and Elite models are equipped with a new 9-speed automatic transmission, featuring steering wheel mounted paddle shifters. The new 9-speed automatic is 66 lbs. lighter than the Pilot's standard 6-speed automatic, with more closely spaced gear ratios and 25-percent faster gear shifts and the capacity for multi-gear downshifts that enhance performance. The 9-speed automatic transmission has an even greater ratio spread than the 6-speed automatic, further enhancing acceleration performance.

Lets see you want to "hot rod" shift a SUV which had "Idle stop" feature....My wife's car has "Idle stop"--and it drives me crazy in city traffic!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake, the Highlander, at least my 2010, does fine for long distance tows. In fact in the last two years, from Wisconsin, I've made two trips out to the west coast (over the Rockies), a trip down to Florida, and numerous trips to Door County and some other 1000 mile round trips. The only reason I started looking was my Highlander is going to turn 100,000 in a few more miles. And I thought it might be good to have just a little more leeway in the maximum tow rating, since I'm at about 4700 lbs with the CD-22. However, after spending some time looking at what's available out there, it boils down to a lot more money only to get something new or with lower mileage, that just barely equates to what I have now. Several vehicles state a higher tow rating, but when you look at payload, it's a farce! Of course I can spend a lot more money and get a big honk'n deasel, but I really don't want a big beast. Mr. Green Colby
Jake

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby,

My limited research agrees with your extensive research, just nothing out there which isn't mega bucks and/or mega size which is rated to tow something larger than a 22. I only said "short distance" to avoid attacks from those who believe a Highlander rated at 5,000 lbs is a bad choice for towing a 4,700 lb load. Smile
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is probably a few of those Jake! Mr. Green Sure wish they'd bring the Ford Bronco back. And the 302. (5.0L) Great little engine, and the Bronco was a great SUV. As long as I don't need to tow anything bigger than the CD-22, the 5000lb tow ratings are fine. And for now, I barely have the payload numbers I need with my current Highlander. (The newer ones came out with a bit bigger body, so that took away some payload room! Sad Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: