The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Codes for a Honda Tach,Hr Meter model 37253-ZW5-010ZA.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petemos

State or Province: NS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-You-Later
Photos: C-You-Later
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Codes for a Honda Tach,Hr Meter model 37253-ZW5-010ZA. Reply with quote

Hi I have a Honda Tach,Hr Meter model 37253-ZW5-010ZA that is showing a blinking code 8 on the left hand side before where the hours show.

Does anyone have a list of these codes and or what a code 8 is. My Honda owners manual and or shop manual don't refer to any codes on the gauge.

Thanks Jim
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only discuss a 2005 Honda and a tach that was installed on Journey On whan she was first rigged.

First, there is no way to send data between the engine and tachometer, except the engine ignition pulses. So any data that appears on the tach is self generated. Next, that tach is not made by Honda, but by some tach maker; it's branded as Honda though. And last, that tach is cheap, Journey On's reads all over the place and I have to replace it.

The hour meter on the tach is nothing but a clock. I'd guess, in lieu of better info, it's telling you to replace it. Again, this is based on a 2005, but I don't think they've changed.

Boris
petemos

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Boris. as I've only had this boat two weeks and taken it out once i'll have to see what else is going on. I may try to hook it up to the nema 2000 interface and my e800 ray marine and see if the tach is right. I'm assuming this 8 means something, maybe change the oil at 100 hrs, or something like that.

Jim

Last edited by petemos on Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,
I don't know the codes, but since your engine is a 2007, fuel injected, it should be able for the OBD to communicate with NMEA, and a lap top computer with Honda diagnostic software, to get the codes. The earlier Hondas, did not have the "smart gauges" but yours should.
OBD use of SCAN II for Honda Outboard According to this any OBD II scan tool should read the codes on the Honda outboard (?). I have a Scan G in my truck works great...If you can use the same, and if the outboard has a 16 pin port--it will tell a lot of information.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
petemos

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Thataway, i have a scan gauge 2 that i use for my car that plugs into the ODB II jack. I'm would think i need some type of conversion plug to read the codes from the outboard. I heard that most of these engines are really Honda car engines converted to outboards, so maybe the codes are the same.

Thanks for the info.

Jim
Darkwater

City/Region: Fort Bragg
C-Dory Year: 2008
Photos: Darkwater
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim- My 2008 Honda 90 tach hour meter also has a symbol on the left which blinks. It does look somewhat like an 8, but I believe it is intended to be a tiny hourglass, blinking to indicate the meter is running. So maybe all is good.

If your engine has a trouble code present, it would be expressed on the MIL light (check engine) on the control panel, and maybe also a beeper. Also the fuel injected Honda 90 did not become NMEA compliant until about a year or two ago. For earlier years like ours, from research I believe only authorized Honda mechanics have the tool and software to easily read the diagnostic codes. The Honda service manual describes a more tedious way that the owner may try, by purchasing a "SCS Short Connector" and counting blinks on the MIL light.

So I hope this is indeed a false alarm and you have a lot of fun boating on the Delta this year!

C-Ray 230DA sold Aug 2013
Retired Dec 2013
2008 C-Dory 22 Cruiser (unnamed) Jun 2014
Darkwater

City/Region: Fort Bragg
C-Dory Year: 2008
Photos: Darkwater
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim- Oops I confused you with somebody from northern Calif. Anyway I hope my info is useful to you
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To plug in a NMEA 2000 cable, the motor has to be NMEA 2000 compatible. Honda started making the 150 engines compatible with NMEA 2000 starting with BANJ 1304171 forward. If your engine is a later model, you're in luck. I don't know what year that is, but it's later than the one I have. Here's the complete list of Honda NMEA compatibly

If your motor meets that criteria, here's the NMEA 2000 Honda cable. The page lists all the compatible engines, BTW.

That 8 symbol is a hourglass, saying the clock is running, or the motor is powered. I forgot earlier. Sorry.

Boris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: