The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Marinaut 215 insurance
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoseDoctor

City/Region: Olympia/Pacific Northwest
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: Marinaut 215
Vessel Name: SEEKER
Photos: SEEKER
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Marinaut 215 insurance Reply with quote

Sunbeam,

WOW! Those photos made my day Very Happy
Stan, the rigger who worked on Seeker for us, told me that she had been down to lake Powell and the lake charts are still in the Garmin plotter. (I may not be using them for a while).

I'm going to start looking for insurance and will keep you posted.

Can't tell you how much I appreciate your help and how impressed I am with C-Brats.

PS - Does anyone happen to know how I can contact the webmaster to get Marinaut 215 added to their profile list?

Gary
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that we know that the boat does not have the HIN prefix of "MRB", which is the proper one for the production Marinaut, you will need to explain to each insurance company that this is the original boat, and that it was given the WNZ HIN prefix because of this. Explain the boat is built to the same standards as the current production boat. You may also have to get a marine surveyor to certify this. This is where a good marine broken becomes worthwhile!

I have been using progressive for over 15 years, and had a good experience. I use a broker who handles many marine insurance companies for yachts all over the World. This may help. I have had excellent service, no questions asked when I have had a claim. They also seem to recognize that since I have two boats, I cannot be using both at a time, and don't gouge me on the premium--the second boat is only a few more dollars than the single boat. The broker also upgraded the agreed value of the boat, as I put improvements aboard.

USAA no longer insures boats--they sub it out--and for that reason better to use a marine broker.

RoseDoctor, your boat is registered in the "our C Dory" section--Hopefully TyBoo or DaNag will take up your request about a specific name for the Marinuat..

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
RoseDoctor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoseDoctor, your boat is registered in the "our C Dory" section--Hopefully TyBoo or DaNag will take up your request about a specific name for the Marinuat..[/quote]

Do you know how I can contact TyBoo or DaNag to request them to do this?
Or do they just sort of do it automatically?
Gary
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Marinaut 215 insurance Reply with quote

RoseDoctor wrote:
Sunbeam,

WOW! Those photos made my day Very Happy
Stan, the rigger who worked on Seeker for us, told me that she had been down to lake Powell and the lake charts are still in the Garmin plotter. (I may not be using them for a while).

I'm so glad! I hesitated over whether to post them because I didn't want to steal the thunder from your new boat. Happy I added to it instead Thumbs Up

Combination of your sweet boat, the right water level, and a very capable helmsman (which was not me on those stretches) brought Seeker up to the head of some very skinny canyons. I stood on either the fordeck or stern (depending on whether we were in forward or reverse) with a long pole held horizontally (like a tightrope walker's) to hold us off and help steer the other end. No scrapes Mr. Green This is one of the fun things about a boat like a C-Dory or your Marinaut.

I like Thataway's idea of using an agent who is familiar with boats if you can't easily get Progressive to "feel comfortable" with it on your own.

A few more - who can resist Very Happy

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosedoctor said:

Quote:
"PS - Does anyone happen to know how I can contact the webmaster to get Marinaut 215 added to their profile list?

Gary"

Gary, go to the "memberlist" button at the top of the page just under the Logo banner. Slick on 'Memberlist" and the top of the list # 2 and #3 are TyBoo and DaNag respectively. Left of there names is a "PM" button, click on that and you will get a dialog box to type in what you want. Don't forget to put something in the subject box at the top of the form. They will get your PM and get back to you (usually) via the PM route.

When you open C-BRATS site, watch in the upper left under the ad box and you will get a "1 New Message" notice when you get a reply.

Hope that helps.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

RoseDoctor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey,
Thank you very much for this information.
I'll give it a try and see what happens.
Gary
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gary - congratulations on your new boat. It is a great boat & I know you will have many good days on the water with it. It is nice that the boat is back where it started in Olympia Washington. 

Because it is the original Marinaut & there was not a Marinaut Boat company at that time, I needed a hull number in-order to do sea trials so I had to get a Washington hull number.

I had no trouble insuring it through Farmers Insurance so if you are unsecessfull in getting it insured try them.

By the way my name is David Thompson not Dave Toland. The Marinaut is my design. The plug work was done by Ben Toland at my warehouse in Olympia, WA. The molds & original hull, your boat's fiberglass work was done by Tern Marine in Kent, WA. The engine & most of the detail was done back in Olympia where the idea of the Marinaut began in 2007.

Side note here. If the C-Brat members have questions about me or the Marinaut please start a new thread & I will try to answer them. Lets not hijack this one with a lot of questions about me or the Marinaut Boats.

Dave
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, Dave!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Really good to see you back here. Hope all is well. Thanks for the update and refresher.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

RoseDoctor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Marinaut 215 is now on the boat list Reply with quote

Thanks, Harvey. Your advice worked.
Gary
oldgrowth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Nag wrote:
Welcome back, Dave!

Thank You Bill

Dave
oldgrowth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Hi Dave,

Really good to see you back here. Hope all is well. Thanks for the update and refresher.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Thank You Harvey

Dave
RoseDoctor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Insurance problem resolved Reply with quote

I am very pleased to tell you that I now have boat insurance on my Marinaut 215. Using Nicholson insurance brokerage here in Olympia, I went to Safeco Insurance. Their underwriter did his homework - he followed up on the information I received from Dave Thompson and Kathy Kranik at EQ Harbor, determined that regardless of the WAZ hull number the boat was not certainly "home built" or a "kit". Then proceeded to issue me the perfect insurance package for several dollars less than my cancelled Progressive policy.

We now wait anxiously for Puget Marina to put my Suzuki 115 on her and get her in the water for us.

I would like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread and, ultimately, to my successful hunt for insurance coverage. You C-Brat guys are Great!
Gary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: