The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Help Please, No Power is Reaching Electrical Panel at Helm!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, I just made some similar cables and did not want to invest in a $200 crimping tool with multiple dyes. I bought this one on Amazon and it worked fine. I only needed to make 4 connections. I am more than willing to let you use it, but Bellingham to Lake Stevens...time=money and for $17.

http://www.amazon.com/TEMCo-Hammer-Crimper-Tool-Warranty/dp/B00E1UUVT0/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1460563820&sr=8-8&keywords=crimper+8+gauge

Our breaker is also located in the starboard battery compartment, screwed to the upper front splash well. So discourage corrosion I use either dielectric grease or spray; you can get it at any auto parts store, or even on Amazon. Laughing

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, "Local Boy"--I had forgotten about that crimper. It is definitely cheaper (The Harbor Freight hydraulic is about $60). What blew me away was the price of the first one I showed in the illustration. ($80). I paid about $16 for mine many years ago.

The TEMCo can be used in a vise--as well as sledge hammer for the larger sizes--and this will often get a better swage.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corrosion can travel inside wire jacket !

On the wires leading to the breaker... before crimping on new ring terminals, you want to strip back the wire jacket until no more corrosion.

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Corrosion can travel inside wire jacket !

I had considered opening another thread, or addressing the issue here, and Chromer's post made my decision easy.... Absolutely you have to get back to good wire, but in cleaning up the wire strands you tend to loose the tinning, if the wire had the creeping corrosion.

I have run into this issue of corrosion along the wire, to the extent that I have completely re-wired boats which were 20 years old. Lots of wire in a Cal 46!

1. Wire should be tinned, marine grade, and AWG (not SAE (automotive). American Wire gauge is 6 to 10% larger than SAE gauge! All tables for wire runs on boats are AWG.

2. All wires should be properly crimped with marine quality fittings (meaning tinned, and coated with plastic covers--best with adhesive heat shrink tubing, to form a waterproof seal at each swaged joint.

3. If the swage (crimp) fittings are not adhesive shrink tube equipt, they should be covered with either Adhesive heat shrink tubing, or they should be covered with regular heat shrink tubing, and then the ends coated with liquid tape.

4. I feel that all crimps in the #10 to #20 AGW, should be made with a high quality ratchet crimper--there are some cheaper ones, which do not have the proper dies for AWG fittings.

5. For the large fittings, where it is not possible to seal the ends, with covering, is where I have used solder--this achieves two goals--if I have a question about the
"hit the hammer" type of swagger's effectiveness, than it makes an excellent electrical and mechanical connection. Potter Water's points are well taken, but ABYC does address this issue, as I cited earlier. There is support of these wires, and there is over 1.5 x diameter amount of solder. This is sweated in with a torch, not a soldering iron on the large lugs. This seals both ends. Then the fitting is also covered with heat shrink tubing and supported properly.

6. Definitely dielectric grease, and Corrosion block are used on fittings to prevent corrosion with ring or spade terminals.

7. For small fittings, (#20 to #24) which will usually be NMEA connections between radio and GPS for AIS etc. There are 3 choices:

A. Scotchlok Connectors--Although made for solid wires, they also work with solid wires, and no stripping of insulation is necessary. There is a dielectric silicone (I believe) fluid in the connector. Easy crimp. And then I put liquid tape over the entrance to give extra support, and wrap with tape.

B. Use a terminal block, with screws--and spray this with corrosion block--have to strip the wire.

C. Solder the wires, and cover with good length of adhesive shrink wrap to give support--and then use some supporting sheath material, like spiral wrap.

Sunbeam mentions the large jaw type of crimper. These are good for fast production large crimps. I have Similar type of compound jaw crimpers for Nicropress fittings on my sailboats (along with both bolt and cable cutters). The problem with these are that the specific model Sunbeam mentions is 25" long and weight close to 6#--difficult to get into corners where you may have to make swages. This is why I prefer the hydraulic Swaggers for the larger fittings. A good crimp basically fuses the wire and fitting, with many lbs of pressure.
localboy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.harborfreight.com/42-piece-marine-heat-shrink-tubing-67598.html

This stuff is inexpensive and works great.

Another issue I have experienced is do not use butterfly/wing nuts on your battery terminals. I now use conventional nuts with spring washers and torque them down good and tight with a box wrench or similar.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true that the larger crimper can be a challenge to get into certain places. I have to plan for that. However, since most larger wires/cables tend to have ring terminals on the ends, I can oftentimes just get the whole cable out and do it on the bench. Or I find a way to get the tool in place. Or, like recently when I cut my engine cables (they were 9' long and I was able to cut off around half of that and go to larger wire at my lazarette bus), I made one around 4" longer than I otherwise might have so that I could get it above the lid of the lazarette to crimp it (since I didn't want to completely de-rig the engine). And sometimes I have to plan ahead for a sequence of crimps so I don't get "painted into a corner."

It does make beautiful crimps though - I like it a lot.
stevej

City/Region: Gaston
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Shearwater
Photos: Shearwater
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised no one has brought up that the original breaker appears to be a Blue Sea knock off.
Pat, when you replace spend the extra dollars for a Blue Sea breaker. From what I have seen overall quality is far superior to the brand X versions

On the soldering vs crimping debate, stick with crimping unless you have a fair amount of soldering experience. The correct tools are needed for either method. Personally I do both using bare connectors (no plastic barrel sleeve). The lack of a sleeve lets you verify that the crimp is not done on the seam side of the barrel and I use a Klein 1005 crimp tool for up to 10ga wire. Crimp, solder and heat shrink. For weather exposed connections spray with crossionX or goop with dielectric grease, use 3 times the length of the connection of correct sized heat shrink and keep the exposed terminal gooped with dielectric grease.
Seen more issues with bad wire stripping than bad crimping so it’s important to have a good “set” of wire strippers, don’t turn a 16ga wire into a 22ga by knife stripping. A heat gun for heat shrinking is a must.

stevej

1995 25' Cruise Ship #3
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevej wrote:

Seen more issues with bad wire stripping than bad crimping so it’s important to have a good “set” of wire strippers, don’t turn a 16ga wire into a 22ga by knife stripping. A heat gun for heat shrinking is a must.

stevej

That is a good point. It took me some practice (and getting a better tool, natch) before I was able to stop having to strip wires over and over to get a good job. One tool I really like is the Ideal Stripmaster (I know, sounds like it should have a racy soundtrack accompaniment every time you get it out of the box). It "automatically" strips wires from (IIRC) 22 AWG to 10 AWG. Kind of fun to use as you just close the handles and the insulation goes flying off and you are left with a perfect wire (99% of the time). Whee! For larger wires I still use a cutter to score the outer jacket, then bend it a little to stress the jacket and very carefully use a sharp utility knife to "pop cut" the rest of it (which works when it is under tension) without scoring strands.

Of course I went through lots of practice wire along the way, and still prefer not to have those "okay this one has to be perfect or else" situations, but sometimes they can't be avoided.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power to the helm has been restored! Yesterday I bought a 50 amp Blue Sea breaker, some 8 AGW terminal connectors with 1/4 inch holes, some dielectric grease, some corrosion block spray and some heat shrink tubing at LFS. I have a Klein tool (VDV010-019, actually for coax and F connectors but works well as an all-around cable cutter/stripper) that I had bought when I was doing my solar install. I have had a heat gun for years.

The Klein tool made a clean cut of the corroded end of the cable and stripped it perfectly. I slipped the heat shrink up over the cable, crimped the terminal connector on with water pump pliers (channel locks, or whatever you call them), slipped the heat shrink tubing down, and sealed it up with the heat gun. I put dielectric grease on the breaker posts and nuts and on both terminal connectors, reconnected it all up, and finally sprayed everything with the corrosion block spray!

This is a much better job than i probably would have done without the sage advice of my fellow Brats!

I should be good to go for another 11 years (which is how long the C-Dory job lasted, 2005 to 2016)!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Last edited by Pat Anderson on Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
localboy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

You're the only other person who has used the term "water pump pliers" in years. Congratulations.

Boris
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, glad that you got power and all working! Hopefully the "Waterpump" pliers will do an adequate "crimp" job.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: