The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bennet pump unit location recommendation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike_J

City/Region: Victoria, BC
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Natural C-lection
Photos: Natural C-lection
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Bennet pump unit location recommendation Reply with quote

My original Bennet trim tab pump motor gave up the ghost as a result of waster damage. The original location was a few inches above the floor in the space between the two fuel tanks. As a result of a partially flooded cockpit in a following sea, I think the pump unit got wet and eventually died. I have a new pump unit and was wondering where others have installed their pump units. I'd rather not have to replace the pump again next time I get a flooded cockpit (which i hope is not going to happen again soon!)
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put mine above the starboard side fuel tank, around halfway between the forward edge of the tank and the transom. It's mounted on a Starboard™ "breadboard," which is in turn mounted to the hull side with Weld Mount studs. I then put the relay unit waaaay aft in the starboard lazarette, basically on the transom. These are areas on my boat that don't typically get wet, and keep the units out of the way.

Not sure if you would have room above the fuel tanks in a newer boat with the "liner" in the tank area (that is part of the raised/flat cockpit sole). But I figured the more ideas the merrier, and you never know what variation you might come up with.
Mike_J

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to take a look at options. I might see about putting it in the Starboard lazarette along with the starter battery.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll put a couple of photos of my mounting method here, in case you can use any of it. Essentially, I wanted to mount it in a small, efficient space (in my case over the fuel tank), but as designed, you need a rather large open space above it to get it into its bracket and/or to get the cover off for (infrequent) adding of fluid. So I mulled it over and this is how I went about it. I should write it up in more detail in my "Sunbeam ~ 22 Cruiser" thread, but since that might not happen right away (ahem, I did this project two years ago!), I'll put some of it here now in case it is helpful in any way for your install -- you might have the same situation with "low headroom."

To put it in a nutshell, I made a (yellow) Starboard™ backing plate, and mounted Bennett's bracket to that, "permanently." Then I used Weld Mount studs to mount the backing plate to the hull. Now I can just pull the backing plate on and off the studs to service the unit and don't need to lift it up (into clear space that I don't have in that location). There is a bit more detail in the photo captions in my album (sub-album for trim tabs).

As you can see, the fuel tank is out (I had a few additional irons in the fire), but I finished up the installation with the fuel tank in place so I could be sure it would all work out once things were put back together. Just to give perspective, the "roof" above the HPU is the underside of the starboard lazarette.

This was all done a couple of years ago, and so far has been working out fine.

Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam, as usual, your documentation is great. Don't be too hard on yourself for taking a couple years to get to things. At least you get to them! I haven't even taken pics of a lot of my work. I just don't have the temperament to stop working and start documenting.

My unit is in my port lazarette. It's well protected. I've put spare batteries in there with it, and used oil bottles, etc to keep the battery from moving around and smashing things. That's the only time I'm worried about it in there, but the spare battery loose in the lazarette is a lazy, bad way to do things, and it would be my fault if something went wrong. I intend to permanently afix a second battery in my boat and a charging relay and switch this year. M'y wiring is not the best all around, with far too many items wired directly to the battery. When I get extra buses and the second battery in place I will have no qualms about my trim tab unit being in the lazarette.
Mike_J

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice clear description and images! Thanks. Where did you get your weld mount studs from? I seem to remember you were in Canada...
Did you drill out the starboard to make the breadboard?
cheers and thanks!
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

I typically get the Weld Mount parts from Fisheries Supply. However I have also gotten them from Jamestown Distributors.

Yes, I just used a drill and regular bit to make holes and then a chamfering bit to tidy them up a bit. I couldn't see any good reason to add more weight to the stern Very Happy and that material wasn't needed. I also used a mini hand plane just to bevel the edges a little bit for pleasantness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: