View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevej

City/Region: Gaston
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Shearwater
Photos: Shearwater
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: One of those days Reply with quote

We have all had them. You know the type of day filled with a succession of not so good events that make you glad to get home and have it over with.

The plan started simple enough head out early Saturday morning to Newport and bring Shearwater home for the winter.

Couple of minor hiccups Friday my crew had to cancel because he came down with a bug that morning. No big deal have loaded the boat a number of times solo so not a major problem. Got home after work and went to change wiper blades refills, wrong type drive 30 minutes back to town two parts stores later have the problem resolved and back home to finish loading and prepping. Load tools, jack, blocks, grease gun, air compressor yada yada like to be prepared if problems come up.

Off to Newport at 3:00 AM some rain some fog typical late October day. Fill up with diesel in Newberg and it dawns on me I forgot the boat keys. Head back home get keys and start over, could have been worse and I have lots of time.

Uneventful trip to Corvallis onto hwy 20 and Newport. Few miles out of Corvallis some guy is flashing his brights and honking his horn at me as he goes by in the other direction. Odd I think my brights are not on whats his problem. Found out about 30 seconds later as I round a corner and see three deer crossing the road. Missed two and nailed the last one. Wet road dark out yes ani-lock breaks do work but could not avoid the last one. Result one dead, deer smashed grill and broke turn/running light fixture. Feel bad about the deer and the truck has only broken plastic from the encounter. drag the poor critter off the road and continue on.

Get to Newport around 7:30 and my trailer is missing from the storage area. Panic is replaced by logic as I realize that there are no trailers in the prarking area. OK drive around South Beach and find where everything has been moved to. trailer found a short time later but no way to access because of barricades around enclosure. Office open at 8:00 so no big deal go ahead and do maintenance while I wait. Grease bearings, jack up and spin wheel to make sure breaks are not locked or rusted to the drums and air up tires. All is good but whats's this puddle by the coupler? Fitting has been busted off master cylinder and tin housing is damaged.

Get access to the trailer around 8:30 no one knows how the damage happened yada yada yada. At least the lights are working and while I would like to functioning breaks I'm not about to attempt to fix in Newport.
Made the decision to load and not spend the night as planned.

Boat started without problem (been almost 6 weeks) whats that knocking sound??? Once in gear and running seems to be OK . Loading was painless, enough a wind push from the South that the the side bunkers came in handy but no problem.

Loaded, washed and slime sprayed off by 11:30 time to get out of dodge.
Things got better light traffic stopped a couple of times to check tires and hubs all OK.

Almost home and check the mirrors only to see a flat tire DAM DAM DAM. No place to pull over so had to limp a mile or so with the flat to a spot so I can get off the road. Tire is ruined by now but I can see my house. Change to spare was painless glad to get home at last.

Somewhat of a PIA day but could have been much worse. On the bright side I feel that my bad luck quote and been filled for a while.

stevej

1995 25' Cruise Ship #3
fiddlersgreen6

City/Region: Riverside, Ca. & Melbourne Beach, Fl.
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Don Quixote
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve---And all this time I always thought these things only happened to me. Hopefully things have improved for you. The last time I hit a deer the damaged turned out to be the same as my deductable. Rich
Luna C

City/Region: Lake Goodwin/Center Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2019
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Panthera
Photos: Luna C
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Great job on the attitude!
Mighty Bite

City/Region: Fairbanks, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Mighty Bite
Photos: Mighty Bite
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've always said, "Some days the elevator.......some days the shaft".

Days like that happen, but like the energizer bunny, we just keep on going. It's days like that that makes us really appreciate the good days.

May the good days always heavily outweigh the bummers.

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so we (me and my buddy james ) are 1) 18 2) late for a party 3) been drinking in preparation for the party 4) speeding down mountain road. so 1+2+3+4= hitting deer with truck (well a chevy luv). Deer looked to have a broke neck and no gut wounds sooo.. Free meat. We know a guy with a freezer in town on way to party. Deer goes into the back of truck w/camper shell and off we go.

Only movie theater in town is on main street and on friday night every good looking girl in the county is inline. Great place to pick up last minute date for party. While sweet talking redheaded cousins from the truck at the curb (their fathers turns out to be cops) the deer wakes up and starts to tear the living sh*t out of the shell. WE get the back door open deer bolts, goes about 60 ft and gets killed by...... cop car!!!! We run.......memorys

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, I'm sorry. That's the best I can do. Ain't ya glad tomorrow is Monday?
Mr. Fisherman

C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevej, I was just thinking about you today and wondering where you had been hiding. All I can say is that those fish are gonna pay Wink.
Hang in there and lets go Sturgeon fishing before they close them on us.

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! You related to Jim on Aiviq by any chance?? Laughing Laughing

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

stevej

City/Region: Gaston
Vessel Name: Shearwater
Photos: Shearwater
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wow! You related to Jim on Aiviq by any chance??

Good one Pat I'll take towing problems over boat problems any day of the week.

Monday was indeed a fine day Mike

Ray I am so looking forward to doing some Sturgeon fishing lets get a plan together and goooo. Been to long friend

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

I see the need to buy new trailer tires think they must be the original ones and after 10 years they are starting to separate. Should have looked closer at em before now.

stevej
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: