The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Corpus Christi (TX) & IntraCoastal Waterway?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Corpus Christi (TX) & IntraCoastal Waterway? Reply with quote

Our winter plans for Key West have taken a recent downturn, and we're looking at other options. On the list at the moment is Corpus Christi and portions of the IntraCoastal Waterway along the Texas coast.

If anyone can recommend a good cruising guide, and/or places to visit, we would appreciate your input.

Thanks,
Casey
C-Dory Naknek
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Texas Cruising Guide... Reply with quote

We use the Campbell's Guide to Cruising Texas; I think the newest edition also includes Louisiana. We live right at the very end of the ICW, in Port Isabel, TX, and have family in Portland, TX (a suburb of CC). There is plenty to do around the Corpus area, my favorite being Port Aransas (nice city marina, relatively inexpensive) and Rockport (lots of galleries and a nice maritime museum). If you like bird watching, the Tropical Tip of Texas is a Mecca of sorts for birders (Google the Atascosa Wildlife Refuge). Port Isabel is as far south as you can go in the ICW; the Port of Brownsville is off-limits to pleasure craft. South Padre Island and the Laguna Madre will give you plenty of water-related things to do. Mexico is a short drive away. Dophins play alongside our sailboat daily. The shipping/barge traffic is interesting to watch come and go.

I wouldn't consider this a "down scale" from the Keys... plenty to do. Smile

Best wishes,
James TX/SD
Bill and Brenda Russell

City/Region: Stamps AR
State or Province: AR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Falcon
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey

We used Quimby's 2005 Cruising Guide 319 N Fourth Street, Suite 650, St. Louis, MO. 63102 (314) 241-4310 on our brief cruise in the Gulf Shores, AL area in early October.

Also by chance we purchased two charts in a Sam's Convenience Store, Top Spots, Inc. 4016 Strawberry Rd, Pasadena, Texas 77504 that listed aminities in the area.

I have written a synopsis of our first and brief experience with the IntraCoastal Waterway and will e-mail if you are interested.

Bill and Brenda Russell #2 Lafayette 24 Stamps, AR. 71860

El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey --
We have four posts on Halcyon Days, under Gulf Coast Texas about the Texas coast -- not cruising guides, but some impressions from cruising those fine waters. www.geocities.com/bill_fiero/index.htm

Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casey,

We spent last winter in the Rockport, Pt Aransas area. We had a great time in spite of the unusually wet weather last year. We had our TomCat along and it was too much boat for the shallow bays and flats. Your CD22 would be a fine boat for the shallow water. Fishing was good for Red Drum and Sea Trout, also some Flounder.

We have reservations for Jan. and Feb this winter at Palm Harbor RV, in Rockport. We are taking our Tracker Targa 17' in order to take advantage of the shallow water. Good weather and the Texan's are some of the frendliest people in the country.

Brent and Dixie

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Casey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Good Input - Thanks! Reply with quote

C-Brats: thanks for your inputs! Some good ideas and comments.

Bill&Brenda - yes, please send me a copy of your synopsis ( lorencasebeer@aol.com ). We probably won't get as far as Gulfport, but would like to read your comments.

Brent&Dixie - Maybe we can cross paths sometime this winter since we'll probably be "in the neighborhood."

James TXSD - Same thing. If you're going to be home from SD, maybe we'll see you in SoTex somewhere.

Bill&El - I'm off to reread those pages on your website. We may see you in Tucson before long, as we head eastbound........?

As it looks now, we may be at the FamCamp at Corpus Christi NAS when we're not on the water.

Thanks Again!
Casey
C-Dory Naknek
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom,
We will be back in the Tropical Tip of Texas in a couple weeks (generally do about 6 months in each place). If the opportunity arises, we would love to meet you and see your C-Dory. We are still sailors, but have been lurking here since last spring. We have managed to get a peek at 2 different 22 Cruisers, both in rather sad condition... and not on the water. It would be a real treat to see one in use.
Trips to Corpus are definitely in our winter schedule, since my wife's family is there. If you find yourself in the Port Isabel/South Padre Island area and would like some local information or a sailboat ride, feel free to contact us.
Best wishes,
James TX/SD

PS - We are normal folks. We own our own business (31 years), but I am trying to get fired so we can spend even more time on the water. We are in our early 50's (but my wife looks MUCH younger than that). We pay taxes, have never been arrested, and do our best to be socially acceptable (although I do manage to embarrass her frequently). We have a grown daughter who still enjoys coming to visit us, and we're both good to our Mothers. My wife (aka: the Blonde) is a great hand on the boat. I have fewer redeeming qualities, but I am housebroken and can remain quiet on command. Thought you might appreciate this information before arranging a get-together.
Bruce

City/Region: Santa Fe
State or Province: NM
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: See-Saw
Photos: See-Saw (Bruce)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey, see my postings on the C-Dog site Cruises: Texas Gulf Cost.

I did the trip last March from Pt Isabel to Galveston Bay

Bruce
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Duh! Reply with quote

I meant CASEY, not Tom. So sorry. That's what I get for trying to "multitask". There I go embarrassing myself again.

James TX/SD Crook
Casey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: I got it... Reply with quote

Tom (...oops James),

I figured it out. Laughing

James TX/SD
(oops...Thomas Jefferson)
oopsX2 Tom, 'er Casey

(gee's, now I'M confused, and I'mnot even multi-tasking!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: