The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Duras inflatables

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CDory23

State or Province: CA
Photos: CDory23
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Duras inflatables Reply with quote

Hi all,

I currently own an around 7.5ft off brand roll up dinghy. As it works decently and is light and easy to store it leaks a bit (I've heard this is common with roll ups) and really is a bit small.

I"ve owned 3 Porta botes in the past and loved them so was looking to get the 8 foot model, but decided not to mainly because I think the inflatable is a better emergency liferaft, but also the akward assembly on the 22.

I want my dinghy to be able to double as a camping/clamming/occasional small lake boat as well so I'm looking to get one large enough to comfortably fit 3-4 people and to also easily haul gear. Last year at Catalina it took many trips to and from the boat to bring all the gear and a total of 3 people.

In my search have come across the Duras dinghys which are a line of Tohatsu. The price point isn't bad. Yes it is PVC material but for my use it will not be stored in UV rays long enough to have that a concern. I really like the inflatable floor on it, the roll ups just really bug me and I hate watching a large person entering it and putting all of their weight on that floor. I feel the inflatable floor would really help balance that out to not put so much strain on the floor.

I'm looking at the 10 foot model since as I said this will double as camping boat for me. Yes it is heavy at 90lbs, but I don't see that being an issue for me. I do plan to store it deflated on the roof the majority of the time but wondering if I could stow it up there inflated as well.

Does anybody have any experience with this brand of inflatables and/or had a 10ft dinghy on there 22?

I wonder how my honda 2hp would push it....

Here is a link:

http://www.solutiononemaritime.com/duras-inflatables/552-duras-315-air-deck-2016-model-gray-pvc-free-shipping-.html
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might look at the Intex Mariner line. They are vinyl and are pretty durable. There are plenty of websites and videos for tricking them out.

I use a Mariner 3 for shore trips from a mooring and as a mess around boat. The M3 is a little over 9.5 ft long. It weighs about 40 lbs.

Before people jump all over it, I realize that the Intex boats are not "real" dinghies. If I wanted it for a life raft or intended to use it in "challenging" conditions, I would choose something else.

However, for as often and where I use it, it works fine for getting people and stuff on and off the boat when anchored out.

I could not see spending over a boat buck for a dinghy that I only use on one or two trips a year. The rest of the time it stays home.
CDory23

Photos: CDory23
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I have owned similar boats (same material/size) and I feel I need something a little more rugged for my use. I will be doing camping/diving/clamming from this boat as well.

Anybody have the West Marine air inflatable?

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--php-310-performance-air-floor-inflatable-boat--14272447

Its almost 30lbs lighter than the duras which I see could see worth spending a little more money on. I have seen these on sale in the past as well.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not heard of that brand but I do have another suggestion to consider.

How about a Saturn. We have owned three and they are a well built PVC boat and would work well for many C-brats. I guess they are just off the radar for most shoppers.

We by from Alpine boats based in Everett WA

http://alpineboats.com/saturn-boats

Here is a link to a model that could work for you and your 2hp outboard should push a 10ft inflatable at about 4-5mph with a load.

http://alpineboats.com/inflatable-boats/9ft6-saturn-dinghy-sd290

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not invest in a good inflatable that'll last years, instead of a knock off brand? More money, but a lot more service. Try Defender/Achilles.

Boris
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
Why not invest in a good inflatable that'll last years, instead of a knock off brand? More money, but a lot more service. Try Defender/Achilles.

Boris

This.

A good dinghy is the cheapest long-term solution for almost anyone in northern waters, both for the direct costs of ownership, and the potential cost associated with reduced safety and seaworthiness.

Don't load the things you care about most into a toy.

I suppose if you are in shallow, sheltered carribean waters, an unscheduled family swim might not be the worst thing, but in the PNW it could very well be, and if your discount dinghy does fail in the PNW, you will likely find that the couple hundred dollars you saved are not helping you much.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kushtaka wrote:
journey on wrote:

Boris

A good dinghy is the cheapest long-term solution for almost anyone in northern waters, both for the direct costs of ownership, and the potential cost associated with reduced safety and seaworthiness.

Don't load the things you care about most into a toy.

I suppose if you are in shallow, sheltered carribean waters, an unscheduled family swim might not be the worst thing, but in the PNW it could very well be, and if your discount dinghy does fail in the PNW, you will likely find that the couple hundred dollars you saved are not helping you much.

Agreed, that's that is why my dingy is a doughnut boat. Yeah it may not be the best at rowing, but is very good at staying afloat and right side up in considerable seas.

Check out the Alaska Series. The Alaska Series website is here.

http://www.alaskaseries.com/index.htm

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just purchased an alaska series 240TDS at 45 lbs. Don't go by the website price but rather call. We will be looking for a good home for our west marine RU260 that has served us well if anyone is interested. It weighs 53 lbs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Dinghys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: