The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Jeeps and C-Dory's, a connection?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when we realized that Dotty doesn't drive anymore and we didn't need two vehicles, we settled on a 2014 Jeep Compass. It's just a 2.4L 4 cylinder with a tow package good for up to 2000lbs and a wonderful sealed Hyundai 6 speed tranny. It pulled our 16 footer like it wasn't even there. After 23,000 miles I have to say I have fallen in love with this much maligned Jeep product.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westward wrote:
I don't personally think much of Jeep products (nightmare history of reliability and safety issues), but I love how they look. I saw recently that Jeep will introduce a Wrangler pickup truck by 2017. Go online and take a look; I think it looks ruggedly awesome in a simple/utilitarian way.

The only thing "Jeep" in a Chrysler and/or Fiat 4-wheeler is the Jeep decal Laughing

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"To me , a C-Dory 22 is the floating equivalent of a CJ Jeep. It's small in stature, big in heart, and can go just about anywhere the owner has the guts to take it. That said, I have become a 'little' spoiled in my 'golden-years, and prefer the comfort and ride of the Tomcat.

Edit- I forgot to mention that I have found that short wheel base vehicles like the CJ/Wrangler are not generally good tow vehicles because of their short wheel base.

John, You are right there, however, that short wheel base is tough to beat if you need to do a lot of backing and fine maneuvering to park.

My Jeep is one of two vehicles I ever owned that I wish I had not sold. The other.... my 74 Toyota Tercel 4WD Wagon. Sold it with 680,000 miles and new 100,000 mile tires and it was still getting 34mpg. I guess it was my second "Jeep"

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Wood Zeppelin

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Creature
Photos: Childhood Dream
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Jeeps Reply with quote

I rebuilt and drove both a '79 CJ5 and a '75 CJ5 starting in high school and into college. Then in my 30's a rebuilt an '83 Scrambler (CJ-style pickup), which I drive now, and plan to use to tow my 16' C-Dory. It has something like a 103" wheelbase, longer than the shorter CJ models and equivalent to most of todays mid-sized SUV's. It's only rated to tow 2000# though. It has plenty of power, I think it's a braking and stability issue, because it has a higher center of gravity. It also has relatively light weight axles. I'd love to get a 19' C-Dory but at 3000# I'm afraid it's too heavy for my Scrambler to tow. I've heard that with electric trailer brakes, maybe some axle upgrades on the jeep, and other tow/stability accessories?? I could go up to the 3000# 19'..? Anyone want to "weigh in" on this?

Current boats:

1997 22' Angler - "C-Creature"
1988 16' Angler - "E-fishn-C" (Project boat)
1997 16' Cruiser - "Wet-a-Net"

Also:
14.5' Drift Boat - "Wood Zeppelin"
Wood Zeppelin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as comparisons, I think there is a form and function thing happening that Jeeps and C-Dory have in common. I also get the VW Van references (I've owned one of those too). When I think of VW vans, Jeeps and C-Dorys, to me they all have a spirit of fun and adventure about them. They look fun and they're built for adventure.

I have not had reliability or safety issues with any of my jeeps (Drove a '92 Wrangler for many years as well as my two CJ-5's and Scrambler). The CJ5's are the shortest wheelbase (and were narrow too) with highest center of gravity. Granted I never had to swerve radically at high freeway speeds, but the only time it was ever "tippy" was when I was young and doing some crazy off-road stuff one day. Reliability wise, I never had problems. I drove my Wrangler 250,000 miles without any major issues. In some ways they were built cheaply, however their simplicity of design and amount of abuse they take more than made up for it. Easy to fix and maintain! And they can do things most other vehicles can not... AND, Jeeps are both a convertibles AND a 4x4.. how fun is that?
Wood Zeppelin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to post a picture of my Jeep Scrambler and my Drift boat here, but haven't figured out how yet. Signature line? avatar?

I did request a photo album, not sure if I got one yet...
Blueback

City/Region: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1990
Vessel Name: Blueback
Photos: Blueback
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeeps and C-Dory's, a connection? Reply with quote

Wood Zeppelin wrote:
I have a Jeep I plan to tow my future C-Dory with. I've noticed there seems to be a lot of Jeep owners who are also C-Dory owners. Jeeps are unique and so are C-Dory's. I think they both have a similar aesthetic as well as functional appeal. Does there seem to be a connection out there?

And, do Jeeps make good tow vehicles for C-Dorys!?

-James

Hi James we speak again and BTW I e-mailed you but did not receive an answer-?
Re the Jeep combination of Dory and tow vehicle is my choice for Blueback, my treasured 16' Angler. I bought new in 2005 a Liberty Jeep diesel which has a 5000 lb tow rating and it gets great mileage economy while towing (20-24 mpg). Running hwy. mileage without trailer-- (30-34 mpg) These are IMP Gals. Cal. EPA standards killed the import of these Motori diesel imports after 2006, although it was only the NOX issue - hey but Cal. greenes run North America standards which is based on concerns for their climate and highway congestion. I would feel comfortable towing up to the 19' Dory - but the 22' --only for short hauling and not thru mountain passes.

3-Work at rebuilding the endangered runs of salmonids on the West Coast
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wood Zeppelin, you do have an album--click the blue link on the bottom of your signature. It will open your empty album. Click the Album actions on the right upper side, and then put your photos in (the default is 5 photos, but you can put more or less.). Must end in one of the standard photo formats, such as jpeg.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvclark02 wrote:
The only thing "Jeep" in a Chrysler and/or Fiat 4-wheeler is the Jeep decal Laughing

When I worked for AMC my boss bought 18 brand new vehicles that had been in a train derailment. They were not allowed to be sold and put on the road so I had the job of dismantling them all and salvaging any useable parts. 2 CJ's were in the mix - after I stripped them I looked at the raised Jeep letters on the side panels and thought I should save them. Took an air chisel and cut a section out of the metal. Years later when I had the Landcruiser - people used to always ask me "what kind of a Jeep is that"? When I did the first paint job on it I took the Jeep letters and welded them on the tailgate bellow the Toyota lettering - faired it in with bodyfiller. After that people didn't have to ask - it was a Toyota/Jeep!

Regards, Rob

BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert H. Wilkinson wrote:
jvclark02 wrote:

When I worked for AMC my boss bought 18 brand new vehicles that had been in a train derailment. They were not allowed to be sold and put on the road so I had the job of dismantling them all and salvaging any useable parts. 2 CJ's were in the mix - after I stripped them I looked at the raised Jeep letters on the side panels and thought I should save them. Took an air chisel and cut a section out of the metal. Years later when I had the Landcruiser - people used to always ask me "what kind of a Jeep is that"? When I did the first paint job on it I took the Jeep letters and welded them on the tailgate bellow the Toyota lettering - faired it in with bodyfiller. After that people didn't have to ask - it was a Toyota/Jeep!

Regards, Rob

That is so cool! I have always liked the Toyota Landcruiser and consider it the rock, aka 'tank' of 4 wheelers. When it comes to defining 'indestructible' I think they should put a photo of a Landcruiser next to the definition.
Blueback

City/Region: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1990
Vessel Name: Blueback
Photos: Blueback
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvclark02 wrote:
Robert H. Wilkinson wrote:
jvclark02 wrote:

Regards, Rob

That is so cool! I have always liked the Toyota Landcruiser and consider it the rock, aka 'tank' of 4 wheelers. When it comes to defining 'indestructible' I think they should put a photo of a Landcruiser next to the definition.

My first Jeep was a Willys Jeep- 1954 high-hood. Never ever let me down but 54 hp forget it. Then I had a 1980 Landcruiser diesel - a real rock crawler and towed my 16 RV trailer with it --torque was great but HP was about 80HP. Then a 1994 & 97 Jeep Cherokee The Jeep Liberty diesel beats them all at 161hp 295 ft torque--IMO and this is from many miles of ownership.
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My C-Dory has been far too economical to own, reliable and trouble free to be compared with any of the jeeps I've ever owned. I'd say my experience with each brand has been polar opposites of each other.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: