V-Berth Storage
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a small screw hatch example: I have added a roll of clear duct tape down there as well now.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a depth measurement for you, but what I would/will do is use 3/4" cleat stock (epoxied to the underside) and then re-use the cutout for the hatch, as I did on the V-berth flats (sitting on the cleat). On the other hand, if depth is an issue (and why not save any room possible), perhaps one could use stout aluminum bar stock or something along those lines for the "cleats," which would take up very minimal room (1/8" or 3/16"). Also the hatch would be flush just as it is without a hatch. Hmm, there went my 3/4" cleat stock Very Happy

Just another idea. I can see that people have used the surface mount hatches and been happy with them (and, like your boat, mine has a ~6" round deck-plate under the Porta Pottie area).

One note is that - at least on my boat - there is some "structural" foam that holds up the footwell (it's much harder than the typical open celled pour in foam, but is some type of pour in foam). That may not run aft into this compartment anyway, but just thought I'd mention it. Some support is good, but of course there are many ways to provide it.
Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The foam in ours was less than supportive in that space:)

I would guess about3.5 inches of depth at center and tapering to 1.5 at edges.

Greg
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurelia wrote:

Indeed. As I think back on it, I am vaguely remembering that the foam under the main v-berth footwell is "hard" (more like surfboard foam), whereas the foam under the little round hatch (under the PP) is the more typical "soft" spray in foam. Some of this was used around the edges of the hard foam (and some boats have this latter type of foam throughout under the v-berth).

I guess it's just a matter of checking it out as you go along, and being aware that you don't want to develop a "floppy" section in the molded sole there. May not be an issue anyway, but just something I'd keep in mind if I were (and I likely will) cutting a big square out of the middle of the cored "sole" section. Shouldn't be too hard to make it as good or better than original just by thinking it over and providing any necessary support in some way.

One reason I'd like to keep it flush (presuming I put a hatch here) is that I have seen a mod wherein folks move the Porta Potti aft to that area, then use the original PP area for stowage. I don't know if I'd ever do that, but with a "flat" sole it would make the option easy (PP wouldn't "rock" on something raised).
Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurelia wrote:

I would guess about3.5 inches of depth at center and tapering to 1.5 at edges.

Greg

I was able to measure last night and those numbers were pretty close with nearly 4 inches of space in the center. Also, the recessed bottom design of our portapotty fits over the 8inch round hatch so I think some potty and surface mount hatch combos would work together just fine.

Greg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: