The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

CHART PLOTTER APP.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big dave

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Raven Dancer
Photos: Raven Dancer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: CHART PLOTTER APP. Reply with quote

I am wondering which chart plotter app. some of you are using for your Apple iPads and iPhones and if the app will work if the phone is in airplane mode or without any wifi, as we do a lot of boating in Canada where we put our phones in airplane mode.
The boat does have a Lowrance chart plotter with all the necessary chips and we do have many paper charts.
The app would be used just as a backup.
Any information would be helpful.

I also just finished installing my new Baystar steering cylinder, after 12 years of use the old one was starting to leak and upon removal I found the shaft had a few corrosion pits on the port side. I didn't think that was bad at all since the boat is used in the salt all the time.I must say I am quite impressed with Baystar / Seastar products.

We hope to get up to the Friday Harbor gathering then spend another month cruising the general area. Anyone else going to be around after the gathering is over ?
Thank you.
Big Dave
Raven Dancer.[/b]
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest app, is Aqua Map and has off line maps. I have only used it in Charlotte Harbor, Florida and bought it bc I liked the
color styles and is frequently updated, and have not read any reviews. Try the free version first

All the most detailed Canadian Hydrographic Service S57 Nautical charts for the entire Canada marine area.
British Columbia, Great Lakes regions, New Foundland, etc.. up to the Northern Territories.

BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Skipper 3.0 version with the Active Captain add-on. I recently downloaded the St Johns river charts for the get together next week at Hontoon Island, Also have the drag-queen app for anchoring
BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Big Dave,

I forgot to mention that the paid version of Skipper 3.0 (I think $10 per year) can be used without cell signal. I downloaded the charts for free, and with Active Captain I was very pleased with the results. I will provide more input when I get back from Hontoon in April
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if this is still the case with newer versions, but the nav app (Navionics and Garmin) did not work (iPad Mini, first gen) if it was on airplane mode. I am assuming it turns off the cell chip (the GPS is part of that).
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim is correct, NO navigation app will work in Airplane Mode. That turns off both cell service and the GPS. What you need is an app that will work without cell service. The GPS can function without cell service. But it all depends on whether the map data is downloaded from the internet as needed or is stored on the device. This is critical to understand!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at all of the apps, and see who has the best maps/charts for where you want to boat. All of the "Cell data" enabled i pads have the GPS chipset. you download your all of the charts before you leave via WiFi. If I am using Active Captain, I prefer to use Garmin Blue Charts. For the best charts, I prefer Navionics. The two I use most in Inland Passage area, are Garmin Blue charts, for Active Captain--and Navionics--I like the current there better. Both are more than adequate.

You have to be sure that Canadian charts are available. My Garmin Blue Charts, Navioncis and

I have Skipper, Gala Aqua maps pro, i Nautical, NOAA I NAVX also, for comparison

Just turn off all the the features and apps you are not using. When off grid, turn off Cell date, WiFi, bluetooth, etc. I nautical,

You also want an app which shows tides and currents--very important!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: