Hella vent fan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doug Moody

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Beyond Bueno
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject: Hella vent fan Reply with quote

Alright Brats, I have a challenge: I'm trying to find a replacement for a "Hella Rotor" vent fan. It was mounted high above the cook stove on the side wall, under the drip line of the roof. I think the use was to exhaust the vapors from the alcohol cook stove. The fan does not appear to have worked in awhile and is seized up, beyond repair. It is about 6" long and 1 1/2" wide rotary cylinder with an about 1" x 3" exhaust port. The issues is the exhaust port was cut through the sidewall and I cannot find duct tape to match!

C-Brat searches, Amazon, Google, Bing are all no goes. More pieces of the puzzle. I believe I am the 3rd owner of the boat which I believe originated in Juneau AK. The hull is a 1990 Cruiser which is pretty much stock except heater and electronics.

Does anyone have any tips, clues or suggestions where is may find a replacement?

[/img]
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you asked Hella Marine? I'm not sure how responsive they would be, but they might give you some ideas.

http://www.hellamarine.com/en/products/accessories/fans/turbo-fan.html

Another option would be to put a standing search on Ebay. The problem would be that, unless the name/model is right on the unit, the seller might just say "12V fan." You would end up getting hundreds of notices from Ebay. I was able to do an Ebay search for a fuel gauge that hasn't been made since 2008 and Ebay came up with two NOS units in 6 months. Worth a try if you have the time.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a squirrel cage blower type of fan. These are used in defrosters, as well as many other applications. Hella is better know for auto parts than the marine fans. It is very likely that this fan was an auto part (12 volt) and adapted for the use in your boat. Today computer fans, are also common to be small squirrel cage type: Do a Google search: "12 volt squirrel cage fans" There is a pretty good chance, that you will find a small fan, which can be adapted to fit where you need it. This may involved making a mounting of teak, or of aluminum, plastic etc for fit over the hole, and then bolt the new fan to this adaptor mounting.

Is your goal to put another fan in place, or to close the cut out area? (As good as duct tape is, it may not be the best way to plug an unused hole permanently.)

The [img] at the end of your post suggests you wanted to post an image. Can you take a photo of the fan? You can either make a link to your photo where it has a internet address, or have a moderator provide an album, so you can post the photo in the album, and then put in the threads.

To plug the hole, making a fiberglass repair is not all that hard to do. Putting another blower type of fan may also not be that hard, but finding an exact replacement may be a major issue.

[/img]

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Hella vent fan Reply with quote

Doug Moody wrote:
The issues is the exhaust port was cut through the sidewall and I cannot find duct tape to match!

If you can not find the correct color of Duct Tape in AK it does not exist!!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: