Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bshillam

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Accidents Reply with quote

I for one am happy to carry a strobe. In fact I was told by a coast guard auxiliarist that a strobe wouldn't meet the requirements. Even after showing him the section from the code. He still insisted it needed to be a flare for night signaling. I quit and moved on. One of my reasons for support - young kids aboard. I have learned more than once that children wait until you are preoccupied have your head in a hole in the boat, your on the toilet, you have both hands into something oily, etc to pick something up they shouldn't be picking up. Yes in my boats I have had flares but my number one preference was for a strobe, I'd even feel comfortable allowing my son to operate it. A fare on the other hand is a whole other story. With a strobe you don't have to replace it - just the batteries Lithium as the USCG won't recognize it as a signaling device without. Buying a top quality strobe is better for the environment as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: