Gunk under the cockpit rail, mildew

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bshillam

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Gunk under the cockpit rail, mildew Reply with quote

What's the best way to rid a boat of mildew in difficult to reach areas? I am not opposed to using chemicals if it means less work and better results. It's just this area doesn't get much sunlight and has developed quite a bit of mildew staining.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been impressed with "30 Second Outdoor Cleaner." It smells like it's just chlorine bleach, but there's something else in it because it works better. Home Depot or Lowe's sometimes has a gallon that comes with a battery powered applicator. Spray it on, hose it off. A light brushing and some water pressure does even better.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cup of plain bleach in a gallon of water took care of the mildew staining on the non-skid surfaces of my boat. I tried a lot of other products/tips and nothing else would clean it. The bleach solution worked really well.
anchorout

City/Region: Lake Charles
State or Province: LA
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: EZ DUZIT
Photos: EZ DUZIT
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:57 pm    Post subject: mildew Reply with quote

The previous owner stored my boat on an outdoor rack in Florida. When I bought it it was a mildew infested mess. A cup of bleach in a gallon of water and a spray bottle will do the trick. Keep at it as the mildew will try to come back if left alone. Keep periodically respraying and it will eventually give up and go away.
anchorout

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:01 am    Post subject: mildew Reply with quote

Sorry. Ditto post.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m2cw

You need to clean the area thoroughly and kill the mold (probably lots of bacteria and other organisms present).

I would add 3-4 gallons of hot water to a 5 gallon bucket, add boat soap or other detergent based soap and a cup of bleach, mix well until very soapy.

Clean areas with the soapy mix using deck brush, soft Scotch Brite pad and sponge to remove organic material then use brush or pad to remove as much as possible, Bleach will kill organisms but it takes time at least 15 -20 min so the area needs to remain wet and may require multiple applications over a period time for heavy build up . Rinse well and re inspect. Bleach will help a little with any staining and kill living organisms and most spores based on contact time. I would not use too much bleach. It is very effective at low concentrations but occasionally folks add a lot
thinking the extra amount will be more effective

It might be messy and consider wearing safety glasses and a mask

anchorout

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: mildew Reply with quote

To add to what Brent said; I have seen strong bleach solutions react with certain plastics, turning them into a chalky, weak, brittle mess. I had to replace items on a previous boat because the previous owner had used straight bleach or to-strong bleach solutions, or didn't flush with water. It doesn't seem to affect fiberglass.
bshillam

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Great suggestions Reply with quote

All great - I'll probably use the soap, bleach water solution and try that.
McDory

City/Region: Edgewater, FL
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: McDory
Photos: McDory
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using a mold control from Home Depot for the past several years that works very well even with the vast amount of humidity here in FL.

In the cockpit area including the hidden areas above the fuel tanks, I spray it on all the surfaces a few times a year.

In the cabin, once a year I wipe down all the hard surfaces (cabinets, fiberglass, etc) with Dawn Dish Washing Liquid and water in a spray bottle, let it dry and then spray the Concrobium Mold Control on those surfaces. I also vacuum all the cushions and spray them as well.

Here is the link:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Concrobium-1-gal-Mold-Control-Jug-025001/100654369
BrentB

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: mildew Reply with quote

anchorout wrote:
To add to what Brent said; I have seen strong bleach solutions react with certain plastics, turning them into a chalky, weak, brittle mess. I had to replace items on a previous boat because the previous owner had used straight bleach or to-strong bleach solutions, or didn't flush with water. It doesn't seem to affect fiberglass.

I agree and use regular bleach with 5.25 percent solution of sodium hypochlorite,
BrentB

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McDory wrote:
I have been using a mold control from Home Depot for the past several years that works very well even with the vast amount of humidity here in FL.

In the cockpit area including the hidden areas above the fuel tanks, I spray it on all the surfaces a few times a year.

In the cabin, once a year I wipe down all the hard surfaces (cabinets, fiberglass, etc) with Dawn Dish Washing Liquid and water in a spray bottle, let it dry and then spray the Concrobium Mold Control on those surfaces. I also vacuum all the cushions and spray them as well.

Here is the link:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Concrobium-1-gal-Mold-Control-Jug-025001/100654369

This products contains trisodium phospate . Another good idea
BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW- The boat I purchased came with an unopened spray bottle of ZEP mold and mildew remover. I decided to spray a mist under the forward hold where I couldn't reach, I let it sit overnight, and the next day the black stuff was gone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: