The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Should I Buy a Trailer to Help Sell
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Fishin C

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, a properly fitted aluminum trailer will help sell the boat I believe.

If I was looking. The Venture trailer appears to be a great deal.
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: trailers Reply with quote

This is boat show time so dealers are dealing on trailers as well as boats and motors .
alum trailer ;what kind of brakes? disc are always better also what kind of springs leaf or torsion ?
If this trailer has disc brakes and torsion suspension and is alum framed get the S/S package and is $3800 that s a great buy .I used to work as a trailer rep. for Continental trailers and alum with torsion springs and disc brakes with stainless hardware is what I always recommended . The elec over hydraulic brakes were just coming out . My friend has them and they do work better then a simple surge brake and are better in hilly or mountain areas .
I think selling your boat without a trailer could hurt your sale although you could show the prospective buyer that you could get a alum trailer for $3800 . good Luck with your sale jim
I u

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Should I Buy a Trailer to Help Sell Reply with quote

I would list the price of the boat without trailer, and with a brand new trailer just tell them to add 6k for a decent trailer or what ever number you wish to use. That way if someone wants the boat and they can find a different trailer; they have that option. If they want a trailer they can just add the price of a new trailer hence the added 6K or whatever you choose to make it. You could mention that that would include tie down straps etc. spare tire so they don't get nickel and dimed at time of delivery. For me I would rather pick out my own brand and style of trailer. Then you stay out of the I want a bunk trailer and this is a roller type trailer etc. Aluminum or galvanized etc.? The trailer or no trailer should not effect the price of the boat. If your price is in line with other 25's for sale your price could be about 3k lower as I would imagine the used trailer in someone else's package could not be worth much more than 3k in my thinking. Plus the used trailer might need things. "There is an ass for every seat" as the car dealers say. Good luck!
D.D.

Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although having a trailer for the boat would certainly facilitate a sale; not having one isn't a fatal issue.

I suspect that if you spend $xxxx for a trailer, you won't recover dollar-for-dollar in the eventual sale.

Have you considered doing some trailer pre-shopping for your eventual buyer?

If you have details in hand for two or three trailers in various price ranges (and how long to deliver) a buyer would have some details readily available, and could factor that into the final deal. Either way I suspect you'll end up eating at least some of the cost of the trailer, but the buyer will be able to get what he/she really wanted.

Good luck!

Best,
C&M

westward

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think having a trailer will be important to facilitate your sale. 90% of potential buyers of that type of boat will need one immediately, just to bring the boat home. You might not recover the entire cost, but not having one really limits your market with a "trailerable trawler". Because you'll likely not recover its entire cost, I would look for the least expensive serviceable trailer (new or used) as long as it has the capacity to legally and safely haul the boat. Forget about adding bells and whistles to the trailer since you'll never recover their cost. Best of luck! Mike.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diamond Marine in CT. has the 8725 venture trailer for $3895. If you need, brakes on both axles it is an extra $200. I would want a different bunk system than what is shown on that trailer for the C Dory 25, but that may only be a few hundred more--add in tax, and registration--probably going to be in the $4,000 to $5,000 range It is also for a 27 to 29 foot boat, so the balance may be somewhat off for the C Dory 25, but the cheaper, 8025 is sized for a 25 to 26 foot boat--and might be better for the C Dory--with a rated capacity of 8025 lbs. The tires on that trailer are rated at just a listle over 10,000 lbs total (if you go to load range E--you can pick up a bit more capacity...Lots of factors come to play in the trailer rating, beyond the tribe capacity.

If you can get the trailer for $3800, I would have the info ready for the next buyer, and let him buy the trailer--no use paying the tax and registration etc twice--that just cuts into your bottom line. Plus the new owner has the warrantee of a new trailer.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bob...let the new owner buy the trailer. Just price the boat accordingly. With tax, setting the trailer up for your boat, guides, spare tire, brakes on all axles and possibly LED lights it's going to be hard to get for less than $5,000 bucks.

The 25 I bought in June came with a great trailer with all of the above and has 9,440 lbs gross. Cost about 5,500 bucks. My boat now weighs over 8,000 lbs loaded. The previous owner went through two other trailers before this one.

I was dealing on a 25 that had a trailer with no brakes! The fellow that bought the boat did not want to spend the extra money. He towed the boat from Florida to Texas like that. Thats just nuts. That boat was not for me!

When I was looking I just figured that I'd just as soon buy a boat without a trailer then I could get what I wanted. Just so happened the 25 for me had the "right trailer".

Good luck on your sale.....Tom

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
mclaughlinrk

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Prop Duster
Photos: Prop Duster
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Thanks for your suggestions Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the feedback. It does seem best at this point to price it aggressively enough that the new buyer can pick his own trailer. I told a guy in Washington State that I would take $49k for it, I think that is a great deal for him but the shipping would cost $$.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine buying a CD 25 without a trailer. However, as you guys have alluded too, for the right price (deeply discounted), you may sway a number of folks having more time than money to your deal. Trailer should not, and are not that expensive to build. I sometimes I just shake my head at the high prices. I can MIG/TIG weld an aluminum trailer for 2500-3000 bucks (cost to me), but it would take me a couple weeks, maybe three since I am no hurry in this life, for the build. With that in mind, I think you can find lots of them in the 4-7 thousand dollar range. I think Bob found a few like that - it wouldn't be a deal breaker with a price point of 49K if the boat is great, and I am sure it is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: