View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-batical

City/Region: Pinckney
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Batical
Photos: C-Batical
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Honda BF40A Starting & Parts Problems Reply with quote

Dear Fellow C-Brats,

My dealer convinced me that Hondas were the way to go. After two seasons of use I am not sure that this was a good decision. My engines are 2004 models with the "Autostart Enrichment System" instead of a choke. These engines are extremely difficult to start when cold. Once started, they run fine. I have had them back to dealer numerous times and they don't start any better now than they did when new. Is this a common problem?(My Mercury EFI starts instantly every time). If so, what is the fix? I met a fellow C-Brat colleague on a trip recently and his engines would not start when cold either.

Also, both trim angle sensors broke within minutes of each other coming across Lake Erie in August. I have tried in vane since then to get the parts. Repeated calls to the dealer and to Honda customer service has not been able free up any parts. I have been told for over two months that these parts are not in stock and are being shipped. Honda's website is a joke as is their customer service. All they do is document your problem and never get back to you with a resolution. Are getting parts also a common problem? What is the secret of getting through to a responsible person at Honda-Marine to get some resolution? I would appreciate any information in this regard.

Thanks for your help,

Rollie/C-Batical
Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met Rollie while trailering Not For Hire, we have similar blue and white 2004 22s, both with 2004 Honda 40s. My 40s behave differently. The starboard engine runs a little rich, judging from fact that carbon will build up on housing of engine around exhaust. This engine always starts right up, first or 2nd touch of key at most. If it is real cold I can "catch it" with the fast idle lever and let it warm up a bit. The port engine is always hard to start if has sat for more than a few hours. Will have to turn key 10 to 25 times to get it to start. I can't "catch it" with the fast idle lever as the lever doesn't have much/any affect until all the way to the choke position. I am having my engines "winterized" this week by a dealer in Traverse City. Something that I have done myself with other boats. I will ask them to try again to adjust.

Both engine run generally fine once warmed up. These 04 engines have caps over the pilot screws to keep from adjusting settings? They do this to ensure emission compliance? I think this is true and I think this may be related to the starting problem.

I also had the plastic trim sensor switch break on the port engine at about 10 hours. I ordered a new one at 20 hour service and nine weeks later it arrived in the shop. I had them mail it to me and I installed it myself easily enough.

El and Bill my 40s hit 5700 rpms at WOT with just myself and dog aboard. At that speed I do about 27 mph. Before I put the permatrims on both engines I would do 29 mph. I may be a little underpropped but this allows for loading her up with more weight also. I think something is goofy with your setup if you only do 3500 rpms.

Rollie has shared some info with me and he is checking a tip that may help starting. If Les or any of the Honda gurus have some advice it would be welcomed.

Thanks all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: