View previous topic :: View next topic  
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Canadian Gathering 2016 Reply with quote

New Year is fast approaching and I have my new calendar ready to hang on the kitchen wall, but something is missing, a Canadian Gathering.
Anyone thought of hosting one yet? They are so much fun and we have made many friends at Canadian and San Juan gatherings. I hosted in 2012, so my turn does not come around again for awhile yet.

Martin.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martin, And Happy New Year. Good idea, another Canadian CBGT. Sounds like fun, and you did such a great job last time. Thumbs Up

I wonder if it would be conceivable to do something like a CBGT up at Port Harvey. Or if it would be way too far out of the way --- a nice drawing card in itself.

Hope to see you up there this summer and we get to cross wakes again.

Best to you and Andrea and

See you in the summer.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

bridma

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harvey, good to hear from you. When the 2012 gathering was held in Comox, we had 18 boats attended, one turned back due to weather, and 3 parties came by road without a boat. So you could say attendance was 21. Everyone had a good time but for a lot of them, it was the furthest north they had travelled for a gathering.
I think Port Hardy may be to much of a stretch. For a lot of our American friends, it would mean arriving by ferry at the southern end of Vancouver Island and then trailering nearly the full length of the Van Island to launch. This will probably be a deterrent. Nice thought though as the scenery in the Broughtons is unique. Probably Campbell River is as far north as most would consider.
I think the Gulf Islands area is a safe bet. Lots to see and do. Reachable by most.

Martin.
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin, I know you are right about the distance. To make Port Harvey, (not Port Hardy) a destination would really cut down on the numbers, true, BUT there are times when there are a number of CBRATS up in the Broughtons during the summer, and it might work to get them together there during that time. I realize that scheduling up there is a whole lot more art than science, so it could be akin to herding cats to get everyone into Port Harvey around the same time.

Port Harvey is on E Cracroft Island, about half way between Telegraph Cove and Campbell River. Just a "bit" northward from Desolation area. And by the way, Seymour Narrows is readily doable in a C-Dory.

Wherever the Canadian gathering is, I will try and make it. I had such a great time with you all last summer, can't wait to do it all over again.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

hardee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin Said:

Quote:
"Everyone had a good time but for a lot of them, it was the furthest north they had travelled for a gathering. ...For a lot of our American friends, it would mean arriving by ferry at the southern end of Vancouver Island and then trailering ... to launch. This will probably be a deterrent. Nice thought though as the scenery in the Broughtons is unique. Probably Campbell River is as far north as most would consider.

This could also be a real draw to make that trip. Maybe as a group it would be less intimidating, and for sure it could be a real adventure with the thought of having some company along the way. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

The ferry ride and drive is probably cheaper than driving the boat up there on it's own bottom (if BC Ferries down their tourism part again next summer), and that would also allow those who have less time available to make a longer trip within their time constraints.

(Side bar here) What do you know of Sayward, as to launch and parking facilities and concerns? I'm looking at that as a launch point for next summer, compared to Telegraph Cove - the nice side.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We hosted one at Victoria a few years ago. That was a great little get together and I think that Victoria should always considered. Sorry we missed the one last year at lady smith.

If we could get the dock at the back of butchart gardens that would be interesting.

Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have based several trips around C-Brat Gatherings, especially when I am not familiar with an area. It has really been helpful to visit with locals about the nature and special things about an area. For example, in 2012 we attended the Oriental, NC gathering where we were told when heading out to Cape Hatteras to avoid an east wind when crossing the shallows. On the day we had planned to depart there was an east wind, so we stayed in harbor for the day. The next day when we arrived at Ocracoke we talked to the crew of two sailboats who had come out the previous day and they all talked about bashing into the wind for hours and that they were still resting up. We felt really good that we had missed that because of local advise.

I've also been disappointed that only occasionally (like at Lk Powell) is there a group doing a tour of the area before or after a gathering. On our first eastern trip we followed five "loopers" up the Tennessee River from the Loopers fall meeting in central Alabama. We learned a lot from them about traveling the eastern rivers and eastern boating without floating docks. Our first major trip in Two Bears was to Lake Powell and we followed several boats and learned all kinds of things that would have taken many trips to learn on our own.

Even if only 4 or 5 boats attend it would still be fun. We attended a gathering at Lk Roosevelt with just two boats and it was fun also.

Chuck

hardee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, I missed the Victoria CBGT and still sorry about that. I'd go back there anytime. I did like the Sidney one.

Chuck, I agree, we don't have to have 20 boats to make it fun. The small ones work great to, I got some great pictures of my boat on the water -- not at the dock -- at a mini gathering at Prevost on Stuart Island, thanks to your good touch.

Small can work. Maybe we need a thread for probable dates for being on Vancouver Island, someplace and what time.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

bridma

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Harvey, I was getting my Port Hardy and Port Harvey mixed up! Port Harvey is already in the Broughtons and not as far north as Port Hardy at the top end of the Island. I have launched at Telegraph Cove but that was years ago (pre C-Dory) and I do not remember much about launch facilities. I have driven through Sayward but did not take any notice of launch facilities as I was on other business. That nasty thing called 'work'.

Anyway, the whole purpose of this thread is hopefully to inspire a Brat on Vancouver Island to host a gathering. Do not worry if you are a "newbie", there are plenty of people around who will help. I think I still hold the record for the only person to organise a gathering who had never SEEN a C-Dory, let alone own one!!!

Martin.
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW. Martin, I didn't know you hadn't even seen one yet. I heard you did a really great CBGT though. Good job. Sorry, I didn't want to do a hyjack on your thread.

Thanks for the info.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if Port Boathouse pays any attention here? Would there be any interest in a West side CBGT? It might be too limiting but it could be in some awesome waters. Thinking maybe a group cruise Port Alberta to Bamfield and then up into the Broken Group; OR a launch over toward Torino and up to the Hot Pools.

Just some thoughts.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: