The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Weight Distributing Hitches
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, We used to have a setup similar to the one in the link on our V6 Toyota Rav4 and it did really well for towing a couple of travel trailers. They are slightly fussier to use than a non-WD hitch but it really did balance out the tongue weight.

Would a hitch based trunnion rig not work with the hitch on the Highlander?

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Curt/17300.html

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to that same website, WD systems should only be used if the hitch is not rated for weight distribution. Ie, the hitch would have had a sticker showing ratings with and without weight distribution. The Highlanders hitch does not have that rating. You have to realize that a weight distributing system is putting more weight on the front of the hitch, or twisting effort, as it distributes tongue weight more evenly between the trailer axles and your tow vehicle's front axle. This means it's also putting more weight on your trailers tongue, although distributing it rearward. Colby
Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am clear on how the WD hitches operate based on my own experience. What you are saying about the inability of your highlander to use a WD hitch just seemed too questionable to me so I did some digging. This is a thread you should read with relevant information and people are using them on that vehicle.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/122-2nd-generation-2008-2013/320870-weight-distributing-hitch.html

Just one notable quote from the thread:

As luck has it, the GM of the dealership where I bought my HL from last month called me last Friday to ask me whether I was completely satisfied with the buying experience and my vehicle. I told him yes, but told him I was very disappointed and frustrated about not being able to get accurate and detailed tech info from Toyota's Cust Service Office. He told me he knew a tech guy at Toyota and would ask him give me a call.

Well, he called me today and I asked him about the WDH. Although I don't know his exact title, he told me he was some type of "tech liason" who handles my region who acts as an intermediary between the "aftermarket" (i.e. dealers/accessories) and Toyota's technical dept. He said that he definitely recommends the WDH, and that the HL will definitely withstand the stress. Otherwise, with higher tongue weights, he said the rear will sag and traction on the front will decrease, espec. in slick weather. I reminded about the unibody and what Toyota told us (not recomm), but he still said it'll handle it with no problem. Of course, he didn't give me this in writing, just over the phone. But he sounded fairly knowledgeable about hitches and towing. I asked him if the reason Toyota doesn't officially recommend a WDH is because they haven't tested the factory hitch with it. He said yes.

He was a nice guy; I could barely get a word in edgewise and we must have been on the phone for 20 minutes or so. Some other pointers he gave me were: he suggested a good Prodigy brake controller and also said wind drag will be an issue with non-folding travel trailers (he suggested something from Camping World called an "Air Foil" to help with this). I asked him about the low 45 mph speed limit recommendation while towing, and he said nobody tows that slowly. He said most OEMS have low suggested towing speeds like that (for liability & safety) and said just to use common sense. In his opinion, he said tongue weight will matter more than total trailer weight, even though he suggested (obviously) staying well below both limits. He said the HL will tow up to the max limits, but that it won't be a very "pleasant" experience (relative to mpg and handling). He said Toyota does very extensive testing of these things and engineers in some margin of safety, although he didn't know what the margin was (and he told me that was "off the record").

Greg
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Eaz-Lift experience Reply with quote

I have two Eaz-Lift hitches in two capacity flavors as I have two different weight trailers and I use the Prodigy P# Controller to run electric brakes (Tundra with VCool. I have two sway control units on my horse trailer as it freaks out the ponies if the trailer swings around a lot and then they add their 2000+ pounds to the motion!
#1 Hitch is not hard to put in place
#2 I really feel the gain in control over the trailers
#3 No issue for me on turning or backing up
I do suggest that you consider investing in a tongue weight strain gauge, with my hitches I have two sets of bars but it is not easy to guess at 700 vs 1000 pounds of tongue weight!
Both my WD hitches allow me to drop my tailgate with a trailer attached, one big advantage of this kind of rig as a regular hitch ball adapter if extended only makes the lever moment worse and may adversely effect sway.
both my WE hitches also allow for rake adjustment of the whole ball/hitch as well as height adjustment for the ball to the ground. It takes a bit of work to get it right the first time, I have a deal level concrete pad I use and lots of carpenter levels.
If I EVER get a C-dory, I will have to deal with the brake matter but as the P3 controller will handle electric over hydraulic, I think that will be the route for me.
See ya on the water!
Bob jarrard
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, thanks for that additional info. Anymore it is very hard to get technical information on anything involved with towing. I think the lawyers have everyone running scared. I'll have to reconsider the use of a WDH on my highlander. There is a nice set up available from Etrailers for a relatively decent price. The only issue I might have is in locating the pole tongue adapter with the location of my bow stop support. However, I have not felt any negative performance issues with my Highlander with the boat in tow, ie, on the front end of the Highlander. It is 4wd, but pretty sure it's Front Wheel Drive most the time. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, just read thru the 3 pages from that link Greg provided. And it seems pretty accurate as to the frustrations those of us with smaller or mid sized SUV's face in towing trailers. I think I'm just going to leave well enough alone with my current set up. As I've posted before, I have felt very safe and comfortable towing my C-Dory 22 behind my Highlander in it's current setup. I've towed it two round trips out west over the Rockies, and pulled the boat out of some fairly steep ramps closer to home. The Highlander has felt sturdy and secure while towing. My only complaint has been with the squat in the rear end of my Highlander, but that's more out of concern for headlight rise at night. Something that is also a problem I see with many oncoming pickup's and larger SUV's towing trailers! So I guess, if it's not broke, don't fix it, might be the best mantra to follow here. I'm within Toyota's printed specs, so at least the lawyers are ok with it too. Rolling Eyes Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing you must remember when using some of the small SUV's is that they are a car chassis, monocoque build: " The Highlander is the crossover counterpart to the more rugged, truck-based midsize 4Runner" I believe that the Highlander is on a Camry platform. (I did tow some short distances with the Honda Pilot, which is a crossover platform, my first C Dory 22, which was kept very light when towing on a tandem axle trailer. The pilot at that time was rated 3500 for house trailer, and 4500 for a boat. I suspect that the boat higher rating was more for air resistance than weight itself.

This puts the whole hitch in a different light than a truck type SUV, which attaches the hitch to the frame rails, with a much stiffer chassis.

I was not using a WD hitch when towing the C Dory 22 on a single axle trailer, where the tongue pole folded due to harmonic resonance of the road/trailer, and the comparative stiffness of the air ride stabilized motor home. (RV did not flex/bounce as the trailer did.) Much of the time we have towed with the Truck frame SUV.

Colby mentioned towing with the bow strap loose. I can not think of a single reason or situation where this would be wise. You want that strap as tight as possible, the bow of the boat against the stop, and a chain, (best with a turnbuckle) to the trailer frame, usually the tongue pole.

It is the truck framed SUV's which recommend using the WD hitch at the high end of their towing capacity. Many pickups and large SUV's have the decal on the bumper stating that over XXXX lbs a WD hitch should be used.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checking the owners manual for a vehicle would be the first place to look. Some will actually recommend/require a WD hitch for loads over a certain limit for a unibody vehicle. Remember, unibodies are not weaker than body on frame vehicles, they are designed for a purpose and that purpose may or may not include towing allowances. Done well, a unibody vehicle can be stronger and lighter than a body on frame vehicle and that level of sophistication does exist in the market. The tiny smart car would be an example of exceptional unibody strength through modern design and it needed it to score well in safety tests.

There have been some unibody designs in the past that were failures but that speaks more to the execution than the concept. It would be great if folks didn't carry those prejudices for so long. Ford is still steering clear of it to this day after "problems" in the distant past. Here is a quote from ford related to the new F150 aluminum/steel body on frame construction that speaks volumes to me.

"But pickup owners believe a full-size unibody pickup lacks ruggedness"

Key word being believe,

Greg
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I agree, a boat should not be towed with the bow strap loose. I mentioned it only in reference. (Unfortunately, anyone running an electric winch on the bow strap will find that the instructions say not to use the electric winch to secure the boat, but rather only to load it.) My own believe is that having that bow strap tight, also takes some of the flex out of the trailer, providing more support for the boat.
Greg, thanks again for more information on the unibody. In the past, I have preferred larger SUV's (such as the Ford Bronco or the Excursion) for towing. However, no longer having a need to tow large trailers, I downsized mostly for cost savings in fuel. I have no regrets in downsizing to the Highlander, and again, it has surpassed my expectations. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: