View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rain

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Glory
Photos: C-Glory
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Owner's Manual Reply with quote

Surely I missed it, but several hours of searching has not produced a manual for the 2008 Venture 23'.

My boat came with all applicable manuals, but the one for the boat itself is virtually useless. The cover and first page reference the Venture 23', but all the information contained within seems to be for the 22'.

Is there a "real" manual for the Venture 23', or is this as good as it gets?

J

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is as good as it gets...maybe you and other Venture owners should take it upon yourselves to produce the missing manual and post it in the documents section of C-Brats!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Rain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Good idea! Reply with quote

Interesting you should say that! I was thinking that it could be done. As a retired Quality Engineer I have written my share of technical documents! I don't work cheaply though! Smile

It seems that while they continued to produce a quality product, C-Dory failed to be as diligent with their documentation!
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other owners manuals are iffy also, I suspect because the part the factory plays is hull and deck structure mostly
Power install, steering, electrical, stoves, heat batteries etc are all done by the builder per owner requirements usually. Boats kept in "stock" by dealers were outfitted at the dealer
Hence an owners manual wouldn't cover the things that tend to need work, the hull structure etc is pretty sime and well done in most cases. George
Spike

City/Region: Kent
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Bootleg Hooch
Photos: Bootleg Hooch
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 22 C-Dory did not come with much of an owners manual either, but since the boat itself is not much more than a hunk of fiberglass other than maybe a wiring diagram there really not much of a need for a manual. All the other bolt on stuff, motors, electronics, Wallas stove, even my hydraulic steering all came with their own manuals
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically an 'owner's manual, is a list of what is aboard, a diagram of electrical and plumbing, and probably some federally mandated safety information.

There are manuals for each of the systems, or you can download the things you need from the internet--including some items in the files section of this web site.

RV are about the same way. All use standard systems.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spike wrote:
My 22 C-Dory did not come with much of an owners manual either, but since the boat itself is not much more than a hunk of fiberglass other than maybe a wiring diagram there really not much of a need for a manual. All the other bolt on stuff, motors, electronics, Wallas stove, even my hydraulic steering all came with their own manuals

I was going to say this...
Rain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:20 am    Post subject: F-150 vs Focus Reply with quote

I can't argue with most of the comments presented here. It is just a bit disquieting to purchase a Ford F-150, open the accompanying manual to find that it addresses a Ford Focus! It makes me wonder what else they got wrong. Is the listed weight correct? Is the maximum power correct? Was it really built in 2008? Are the fuel tanks 30 gallons each? I know the stripe is blue; I can SEE it! And for the record, Mediterranean Tweed is BUTT UGLY! Smile
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except that your Ford anything is way more complicated than a C-Dory as it comes from the manufacturer. If a C-Dory came out of the factory as a turn key boat ready for a long cruise (except for provisions and personal effects) then I would expect a comprehensive owner's manual. In the case of a car you can drive it right out of the factory and across the entire country if you wanted to. A C-Dory needs significant fitting out (like adding an engine) before it can be used for anything.

If you bought your car and outfitted it a la carte (like a C-Dory) you would find that the car manufacturers manual would be pretty thin too. Most of what they would be supplying is the sheet metal and there is only so much you can say about that. All the complicated and interesting stuff would come from other vendors and you'd have a stack of manuals to cover all of it.

A better comparison to buying a car would be buying a Bayliner off the lot, or a Tahoe boat from Bass Pro. These boats are delivered complete from the factory and are ready for the water when you drive it away.

If you pile up all the manuals you end up with once your C-Dory is fitted out for multi-night cruises, you will find that you will have quite a pile of manuals to deal with, probably more pages than what's in your car owners manual.

You will also usually find things in the typical vehicle owners manual that does not actually apply to your particular car because you did not get some option or other.

Car companies also update their vehicle models on fairly frequent basis. The vehicle is always changing, so the manual must be updated (although some of this is self inflicted for marketing reasons).

I don't know about the Venture, but the CD-22 cruiser is pretty much unchanged functionally and operationally since 2007 (from what I have seen), so the manual is the same. The Venture 23 is pretty much just a smartened up CD-22 anyway.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On some things, you'll just have to check and see. I can't speak to the Venture, but over the run of the 22 (that I know of) there were 18 gallon tanks, a single large tank of something like 50-some gallons, 20 gallon tanks, 25 gallon tanks, and 23 gallon tanks. Typically there is some marking on the tank from the mfgr (if you can see them).

Likewise, the transom was cored with balsa, or foam (maybe plywood in some?). They don't tell you which, but you'll likely find out when working on things. Some cabin tops were un-cored, some were cored in the center, and some were cored on the "side tiers" but not the center. Bilge pump sumps moved around. Etc. etc.

I like my Mediterranean Blue, btw Very Happy (But then I'd agree with you on Pacific Blue, which I call "Blue Tape Blue."). Good thing they make many different colors of Sunbrella!
Rain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Missing the point...? Reply with quote

My issue is not complexity vs detail; it is 23' vs 22'. The manual provided is for a different boat! Maybe it is the Quality Engineer experience, but finding blatant errors in one area makes me suspicious of competency in ALL areas!

That said, there is no other boat I would rather have, and with the assistance of all the C-Brats, I am confident of figuring out what I need to know.
queenBEA

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Queen BEA
Photos: Queen BEA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Manuel for 1984 27' long house with 110 hp turbo diesel need Reply with quote

I recently purchased my Queen BEA (27' long house) and would like any information available out there someone my be willing to copy for me! Thanks for the consideration.

David
Rain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Nice Boat! Reply with quote

Congratulations! Looks like the fish had better beware!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Documents All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: