The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Backup GPS or smart phone acceptable?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CDory23

State or Province: CA
Photos: CDory23
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Backup GPS or smart phone acceptable? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Found what seems to be a good deal on a backup gps.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/garmin--gpsmap-78sc-marine-handheld-gps-receiver-with-compass-and-barometer--11553609

I figured it could also come in handy for backpacking, geocaching etc....

Before I go ahead and purchase I"m wondering what people think of using their smartphone as a backup gps? I assume its not a reliable source because it used the cell towers opposed to satellite, but curious if anybody does this? I do have the BoatUS app on my phone if I ever need a tow which relays my exact position.
Thoughts?
cbgale

City/Region: Calumet
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Raton
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that price, you may want to look at a Pad, perhaps a mini, and for very little software cost have a backup GPS/chartplotter and download some inexpensive software. But, it must have an internal GPS chip so that you are not relying on towers. You can also purchase an external GPS that plugs in to one of the available ports.
Rain

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Glory
Photos: C-Glory
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Wondering... Reply with quote

That is a nice looking unit.

I have been wkndering if I can use my old Samsung Tab 3 as a backup.

South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddy uses his iPad and then downloaded the Navionics app. Now he has a HUGE screen and an awesome water navigation devive. I think there's a monthly fee to it but the ease of use and capabilities are amazing. He told me it's better than those units which cost thousands of dollars.
CDory23

Photos: CDory23
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good idea on tablet. I could see that screen being a pleasure to use. I would not want to carry one around though for the other uses I may have of the device like geocaching, backpacking. I do have a galaxy tablet a few years old and a quick search looked around 100 for external gps unit. I would also be a little weary of the battery life of a tablet using it for that purpose. It could be an excuse to install a usb charger on the boat.
nordicstallion

City/Region: Crescent City
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Rylee Rose
Photos: Rylee Rose
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I-phone works great. Use it all the time as backup to my other backup. Velcro on dash & phone & plugged in to acc. Port. Also have the hike & bike navionics app on our phones. Wife always uses it when on horseback in the redwood outback trails. Invaluable!!!
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that's a bargain! !

The big problems I see with pads is they are no good in direct sunlight and not waterproof.
I have two Garmin handheld units, an older Colorado 400c and a newer Montana 600 I keep in a hard mount at my fingertips. I like to run my trip information on the Montana, but it comes in handy for a verity of useful functions.
The old Colorado goes to shore and is the backup to the backup, both are waterproof and work flawlessly in direct sunlight. Fact is, when in direct sunlight you can turn the screen brightness down all the way.
I would recommend as a backup going with the real deal, not something non-marine friendly.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The i phone has its own GPS chip, so it will work fine anywhere. Perhaps the Garmin GPS has a bit easier navigation platform. On the other hand the screen is small. I have an old 76 and also the 400 C as hiking etc back ups. I use the I pad extensively for planing, and navigation. There is no visual issue with the i pad in the cabin of a C Dory. There are waterproof cases for the I pad.

For a backup the Garmin you linked to is excellent, and also takes topo maps, as well as street maps on a micro SD chip.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDory23,

I have that same device as you are looking at as a backup and for my ditch bag. I use it primarily for log number recording, but it works great. It also has barametric info if you are into keeping an eye on that.

The issues with a lot of the phones for backup. is like you touched on. Their "GPS" is really triangulation from the cell towers and if you get out of range, you have no position info. I had that issue with a motorola droid and with my samsung, so have gone to GPS for gps function..

I am considering getting a tablet os some type other than ipad (I OS) for more portable use, and what ever that one is will have a GPS chip internal.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
CDory23,

The issues with a lot of the phones for backup. is like you touched on. Their "GPS" is really triangulation from the cell towers and if you get out of range, you have no position info. I had that issue with a motorola droid and with my samsung, so have gone to GPS for gps function..

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Harvey, not true! Smartphones have real GPSes in them and do NOT depend on cell tower triangulation! Tablets may or may not have real GPSes. The ones that are "WiFi" only do not, but the ones that are capable of a cell connection also have real GPSes in them. These work fine without a cell connection. We use our iPhones and iPad everywhere without a cell connection for GPS backup!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not positive that all android phones have the GPS chipset that similar to the i phones, but most do. The GPS acquisition is faster with triangulation with the cell towers.
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey,

Which Android phones do you think are lacking a true GPS chipset? We just acquired a MotoE LTE, and I have not played with it enough to tell if it is a genuine GPS or not.

Second question: which apps and what sources of charts have you found useful?

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AstoriaDave wrote:
Harvey,

Which Android phones do you think are lacking a true GPS chipset? We just acquired a MotoE LTE, and I have not played with it enough to tell if it is a genuine GPS or not.

Second question: which apps and what sources of charts have you found useful?

I had a Motorola Droid Max, I can guarantee you that it does not have a GPS that functions away from the cell towers. I had many times, both on the water and in no cell coverage areas on land where my phone would not tell me where I was on a map program.

On my current phone, a Samsung S4, I have had the pleasure of it not knowing where I was several times up in the Broughtons.

Since my phone is android, I use Google Maps. I also use My Radar app, which uses a mapping base, There is also an AIS ap that I use called Boat Watch, which uses (I think) Google Maps too. I don't use it for navigation.

Pat, since I don't use I-OS anything I cant speak to them, but I'm pretty sure that not all smart phones are all created equal.

Hope that helps.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

NewMoon

City/Region: Holladay
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Cindy Sea
Photos: Cindy Sea
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Samsung Galaxy S-II Skyrocket, a ~4 year old Android, has a true GPS. On recommendation from Jeff Siegel of Active Captain, I installed MX Mariner. Haven't used its navigation functions enough to comment on them, but it does a good job of showing SE Alaska charts in detail, and where we are on them.

US charts are free, but if you want to have several regions of charts on your phone at the same time they do take up a good bit of memory. 2-3 regions fit OK on my old phone. You can download as needed, and remove a region to make room for another if that's necessary.

Not sure if BC charts are available.

Cindy Sea (CD 22 Cruiser, from 1991 to 1998)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
I am not positive that all android phones have the GPS chipset that similar to the i phones, but most do. The GPS acquisition is faster with triangulation with the cell towers.

Correct, the cell tower trianguation is just a boost or assist to the GPS in the phone, which speeds up satellite acquisition and according to one article provides the phone info about where the satellites will be for the upcoming four hours.

GPSes are not required in smartphones, but virtually all the new ones have GPSes. Amazon and Google woiuld probably pay for a GPS enabled phone for you just so they could target ads based on knowing where you are!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: