View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: 2015 Video--Fog Whales & Bears Oh My Reply with quote

This is a video, I unloaded on youTube made from our cruise last summer in Southeast Alaska. The fog was in Cleveland Passage where we anchored near Cape Fanshaw, whales in Fredrick Sound near the Five fingered Islands & the bears & Mokai runs & video from the Mokai in Pleasant Bay, Admiralty Island.

https://youtu.be/6KaBwdRgnsA

Jay

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful video, Thanks Jay.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay,

Really cool video. I loved the fog part and then the whales.... close nice to see them and lots, too. The bears are great, but your to close for me. Shocked I had to back a way from the screen Wink

You have a great talent there. Thanks for sharing.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, great to see this! Thanks for sharing.
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job Jay.. that day, and leaving Piehl Passage, were the only real opportunities all summer to use the radar. Brings back good memories.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always great video sure looks like a good time.

SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow ! Thats Kool.... you always amaze me.... wish I had a camera when you climbed the moki holes at Lake Powell that year... you were really up there and at a point I just could not watch anymore....just a chicken.

Whales, Bears whats next ?

Joel
SEA3PO
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, for the nice comments.

Harvey, there was a couple instances with the Bears, that I would have liked to have been able to back off a bit quicker too. In the case of the one standing up, it was very close & the water shallow. The Mokai motor was off & I had been just floating down the inlet with the tide & river current, when the bear came out of the alders & was quickly walking toward me along the shore line. It would have been more prudent for me to have reached for the bear spray or gun instead of the camera, but when I first noticed it & started filming, I wasn't all that close & as it approached closer & closer, I was very intent on recording its reaction, upon noticing, I wasn't just a floating log. On the other close encounter, I already had the gun in hand, due to seeing the very fresh sign, when I landed on shore with the Mokai, but with the bear appearing suddenly only about 50 feet away, taking my eyes off it & reaching for the camera really wasn't a good option.

Joel, at Lake Powell, when you were observing me on those Mokai steps, I was in a predicament, where even the wings of a chicken would have been quite welcomed. That was our first C-Dory Gathering & trip to Powell & what a wonderful time we had with you & the rest of the small group who was there in April of 2006.

I hope to wring out a couple more videos of last summers cruise & post here before long.

Jay
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to the new video Jay, and good to know you got out of both situations OK. Love you photography.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched the video. So enjoyable. What really makes it great for me is your narration. That puts me right in the cockpit of the 22, or the Mokai and just adds so much and makes it like I'm "there." (Of course what you are actually photographing is fantastic, but for me it would not be the same without the narration.)

Thank you so much for taking the time to film --- and especially to edit it and present it to us -- work without which it would still be amazing footage but only on your hard drive. This way we get to see!
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sunbeam, your comment is really appreciated. The act of the first step in making a video is of course the original filming & doing that, while navigating or in a any tight spot can be difficult or even add to the danger as illustrated by my explanation of the bear standing sequence. The Mokai & C-Dory are controlled using the right hand other than the C-Dory helm & so is my camera, so in the midst of some challenging circumstance there can be, while filming, considerable shifting of camera & controls. Sometimes JoLee will film, but she would much rather enjoy, what we are seeng at the time, than try to preserve it on video, as would myself at times, though not so much for me, because I've changed from a hunter of animals with a rifle or shotgun to hunting them & the recording of adventures by camera.

I too prefer a narration when viewing this type of video, but it does make editing more difficult. In fact the whole editing process was much more trying this time. I use a Sony HD camera & Sony uses a different video format that hasn't matched well with most editing programs, so in the past, I've used their Sony Vargas editing software. With the loss of my dell notebook computer from this last trip, I have started using a Mac, which was given to me by one our sons. For this, I bought the new Adobe Elements 14 editing software. learning the Mac & editing software of which the software for my video editing purpose is not user friendly, combined with not doing any editing since 2012 made this a time consuming challenge. YouTube added to the difficulty by making a new channel with this video, that I can't combine with my original pre Google-YouTube joined channel, that has 22 movies & many subscribers. It takes two hours to upload a 15 minute HD video to YouTube & I did this four times with deletions trying to make it go to my original channel along with many hours learning how Google & YouTube work to figure out a process that might work. Nothing would, so just to see the channel that has all my past C-Brat video links, I have to use the C-Btat links or do a video search using the title of one of my old videos or something similar & my present YouTube/Google account only brings up & shows me having this one uploaded video.

I realize this is much more than most want to know, but your appreciated comments led me to a explanation of some of the challenges in the video making process.

Jay
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, Thanks for that explanation. It shows, even more, your diligence and dedication. Way way back in another lifetime ago I used to do slide show presentations, with multiple projectors and a dissolve unit. Lately I have wondered about going back and doing that with digital pix, program and projector. Your work is inspiring.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: