View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rain

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Glory
Photos: C-Glory
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Which heater? Reply with quote

My boat has a butane stove burner but no heater. If it were the other way around - no big deal. I can eat cold sandwiches in a warm cabin, but shivering while eating a warm bowl of stew, not so much!

I see boats with Wallas, Webasco, Espar, etc. but no Sig Marine Cozy Cabins. A friend who fishes in the PNW praises his highly. Any reason they don't seem to be popular with C-Dory owners?
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Which heater? Reply with quote

Rain wrote:
I see boats with Wallas, Webasco, Espar, etc. but no Sig Marine Cozy Cabins. A friend who fishes in the PNW praises his highly. Any reason they don't seem to be popular with C-Dory owners?

I can venture a guess (actually two, since there are two versions of the Cozy Cabin). One of the Cozy Cabins is a propane heater. Therefore it requires the "full meal deal" marine propane installation. Not that there is anything wrong with that (I may very well do one in my boat, and have done propane installations in other boats), BUT, if I do go ahead and and install a propane system, I'd prefer a heater without an exposed flame like the Cozy Cabin. I'd likely go with a P9000 were I looking for a similarly sized/shape propane heater. The P9000 has an "enclosed" flame and is direct vented. It also has a window to view the flame (likely charming).

If you do want to see a Cozy Cabin (propane) on a C-Dory, Sea Wolf Joe did put one on his 1987 22 Cruiser, and there are photos in the albums.

The other Cozy Cabin is a solid fuel heater. I've lived with woodstoves in cabins for years and love them; but probably wouldn't put one on a 22. Fuel could get a bit bulky to store, and (even though it's an outboard), I'm not totally comfortable with a stove wherein you can't "shut off" the fuel supply on a gasoline powered boat. Plus ashes, etc.

I have used a Sigmar 100 diesel heater extensively on a boat, so I like the brand in general. Great heater and we ran it all day every day on the BC coast. But that's a diesel heater, and the stack requirement is longer than I could reasonably provide on my 22. If I were going diesel-ish fuel, I'd likely go with a Wallas 1300 or 1800 (which are actually kerosene but I just mean liquid fuel you can store in a jug) (they do make diesel heaters too though).
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS: There was a fairly extensive discussion of heater options in a recent thread; not sure if you have seen that or not.
Rain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Found one from 2013 Reply with quote

I found an older thread. I'll keep looking.

I found Joe's Cozy Cabin. Nice, but it looks very big!
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well a new thread never hurts either - but there may be some good nuggets in some of the older ones. There was some discussion of variations in the recent Wallas 95 vs. Nordic thread, and/or you could always throw some specific names into the search (if you haven't already) such as Webasto, "Wallas 1300", P9000. These are likely to bring up some discussion (whereas if you only say "Wallas" you'll get a lot about the maintenance of the stove/heater combo models, as they are the typical "Wallas" that came on a lot of C-Dorys).
Rain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: One man's opinion... Reply with quote

Below is a quote from an avid fisherman who prefer's a propane heater:

"My experience with diesel furnace type heaters is that they are noisy, power hungry, very expensive and fussy with too many moving parts."

Have times changed? Maybe he hasn't tried one recently...?
bshillam

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Had them all Reply with quote

My wife and I are in the PNW and have had, Wallas cooktop, diesel fired, forced air Espar, diesel fired Sigmar, the only source we have yet to have is wood. Next month will be instlling a DT30 Wallas in a newly acquired boat. In the Dorys it is my personal opinion that counter space is just as valuable as cabinet. Most of the time you can find unused cabinet space vs counter. The forced air is in my opinion the best! Inmy research Espar and Webasto are more hungry because of their burn/heating cycles vs Wallas. Beingin the PNW and never winterizing iI can speak to pros and cons of all. The best about forced air is that you'll have less cold spots and better overall distributed heat. In my boat with a sigmar I had two 12v fans that ran all the time when the heater was burning just to help distripute the warmth. It was marginal.
Just as with all things boating, RV and what not. Take your pick and enjoy.

Feel free to pm and we can have a conversation off line.

Cheers
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are serious about heating, for a C Dory the best is going to be a forced air diesel heater. They use "unused" cabinet space under the counter. They will put the warm air where you want it. A heater in one corner is not of much value. I have had a number thru the years, including one of the larger standing, stack type diesel--and it took extra fans, and still not as good as a forced air (or hydronic).
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: One man's opinion... Reply with quote

Rain wrote:
Below is a quote from an avid fisherman who prefer's a propane heater:

"My experience with diesel furnace type heaters is that they are noisy, power hungry, very expensive and fussy with too many moving parts."

Have times changed? Maybe he hasn't tried one recently...?

I don't think my Wallas is noisy, power hungry or has too many moving parts, but is does have some maybe finicky electronic computer stuff. When I use it it keeps the cabin warm, and since I don't use it for cooking, It keeps my log book in place the rest of the time.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one and it works well.

A previous owner mounted it under the counter and removed the rear cabinet door and cut a large hole in the counter. It gravity feeds from a tank mounted just below the starboard cockpit window.

It heats the boat well, sometimes too well as it could heat a much larger space. I don't use fans, I just turn it up. The comromise is that it is uncomfortably warm near the heater when it is nice and cozy in the v berth.

I intend to change the setup, and have considered a forced air heater/cooktop, but will probably keep this for now. I will put it between my sliding and fixed starboard window, and rig a fuel tank on an unborn radar arch, along with supports for the stove pipe, and the dinghy, keeping the two separated.

I cook on a portable butane burner. It works well.

I would rather have a forced air heater with a duct run directly to the v berth.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kushtaka said:

"I have one and it works well. ....."

Which "one" do you have?

Thanks,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Rain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Speculating/Deducing Reply with quote

Sounds like he has the "Cozy Cabin" mounted in a cabinet with the door removed, or should I say a "locker" with the "hatch" removed? Smile
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have a Fab-All 120. This is the same unit as the Sig 120, Dickson 120, and Balmar 120... and maybe others. I am not 100% certain, but I believe that Dickson came out of a split between Sig and Fab-All some time ago.

I've seen the Dickson and the Sig, as well as my Fab All. They are identical to my eyes and fingers.

They are a simple, reliable stove that never seems quite right as I'm lighting it (soak a piece of toilet paper in fuel, pour a little into the burn chamber, light your TP and drop it in, let it get warm and send it fuel from the tank), but once lit it just keeps cranking out heat.

I was told I wouldn't be able to use it while underway above displacement speed, but have not found that to be the case.

I really like it a lot, but I would never have bought it myself, and probably won't get the same type if I need to replace it, but will keep using it until it needs to be rebuilt or replaced. Then I'll probably get a wallas 22dt or similar.

http://www.go2marine.com/product/20282F/model-120-diesel-marine-heater.html
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am not 100% certain, but I believe that Dickson came out of a split between Sig and Fab-All some time ago.

Dickinson has been making boat heaters since 1932. Could have been born out a split before then? I remember a couple of boats I sailed on in the late 1940's which had Dickinson heaters.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kushtaka wrote:

They are a simple, reliable stove that never seems quite right as I'm lighting it (soak a piece of toilet paper in fuel, pour a little into the burn chamber, light your TP and drop it in, let it get warm and send it fuel from the tank)

That brought back memories of lighting the Sig 100 (smaller version of yours) all one summer in BC. Always the little piece of toilet paper to get it going, and then it would crank along all day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: