The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Choosing the right kicker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Fishin C wrote:
Don't worry about balancing the boat as you need trim tabs anyway.

I installed trim tabs, but my heavy kicker that unbalanced the boat (listed to starboard) was still a problem. I of course moved everything reasonably possible to port side, but that wasn't enough.

The reason it was still an issue even with tabs is that I like to anchor and live/sleep on the boat. It got old always having it leaning over to one side (trim tabs don't do anything when not moving). Since I didn't have any great need for a heavy/deluxe kicker, this made it even more annoying.

So I went from a 110# kicker to a 45# one and my problems are gone. I can even use fuel from the port tank! (Needed the weight over there before so tried not to use it.) Boat looks good at anchor and I'm no longer living on a slant.

It wasn't a stability issue though, so if mostly only on the boat when underway, then tabs would have done it.
Rain

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Glory
Photos: C-Glory
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: How do you use it? Reply with quote

Is it for trolling, "get back" or both? How fast will it move the boat?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rain, I have a slightly different philosophy, I use the dinghy motor (3.5 hp Merc 2 stroke--30 lbs) as the Kicker--it will run the boat at 3.5 to 4 knots in calm water--and you can steer the boat with it in almost any weather, as long as you are going across or down waves--it is just to get us to a safe place--may not always "get home". We carry independent fuel, since fuel is often the item which causes engine failure. I have pushed a 62 foot, 65,000 lb boat 2.5 knots with a 4.5 hp on a dinghy--it gave us steerage, and kept us safe, until we resolved the main engine issue. Even the Torpedo will push the C Dory at 3 knots.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Rain

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Glory
Photos: C-Glory
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject: Works for me Reply with quote

I like that philosophy.

That thinking may steer me toward a 6HP.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I basically do the same as Thataway. It's a "get to safe anchorage and/or putter home when conditions are good" engine. Separate fuel supply (although I can also clip it onto the main tanks if it wasn't a fuel problem). A slightly larger motor that Thataway's (simply because that's what presented itself when the time came - and plus I don't use it on a dinghy). (It's a 5hp 2-stroke).

The Honda 8D I had was deluxe and really nice - smooth as glass when running; but I just didn't need the weight for a number of reasons (both on and off the boat). The 5hp is a single cylinder, so doesn't purr like the Honda did; but then if my main goes out, I don't think I'm going to be too fussy!

Different use case, I'd likely choose differently.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: