The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Radar/GPS/Depth Finder

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuberg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Radar/GPS/Depth Finder Reply with quote

Are there any good threads that have already discussed Radar/GPS/Depth Finder choices with opinions about the various brands?

What are you using on your boat and why? Are you happy with your selection? If you were to set up a boat today, would you make the same choices?

Thanks for any and all responses.
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with the Raymarine C-80 system with the radar. I am very happy with it. Mainly I wanted a single screen that was big enough to see from the cockpit but not too big that it blocks your view while at the helm. If your thinking of radar I highly recommend a system like the c-80 where the Radar can be overlayed on top of the chartplotter. It really makes interpreting the radar much easier. I really like the depthsounder on the C-80. I feel like I am getting an accurate representation of the bottom. I've clearly seen logs coming out of the ground at an angle with fish hanging back. There isn't a lot of back scatter and surface noise. My friend bought an expensive Lawrance and he was never happy with it's sounder capabilities. Anyway hope this helps.
Luna C

City/Region: Lake Goodwin/Center Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2019
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Panthera
Photos: Luna C
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with the C-70 & like the smaller size. The over lapping rader is great. Just move the radar to an arch and love that too.
Stuberg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: C-70 and C-80 Reply with quote

I've heard great things about both the C-70 and C-80 units. I've been thinking about getting the C-80 because I want to view multiple things on the screen at the same time.

Does anyone have an autopilot feature installed as well? Do you find that it integrates nicely?
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they would integrate rather nicely if they were to be mounted on a C-Dory.

I know that there is an MSN group for Furuno--- maybe there is one for the Raymarine?

Just a suggestion

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Stuberg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fishtales!

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll see if I can find the MSN group for Raymarine.

I'll also see if I can find a group on tolerance and diversity. If not, I'm sure there's one on humor and not taking things so seriously.

Smile

Robert
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the c-80system with the autopilot. It really works well as one system. If you are in to fishing look into getting the s1 autopilot with the remote. This one has fishing features that the st6001 does not have. there will be a upgrade in the future for the st6001 but I don't know when. http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=2533 read this post it will cover more
p.s. fish tales, you make me ashamed to post on the same board. What happen to be nice.

gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very interested in this discussion as well. Although my boat still has a long ways to go before I'm ready for my maiden voyage with it I do plan on putting in GPS and Sounder with Radar possibly later.

I have been leaning towards the C80/E80 system but haven't made up my mind. Part of my problem is that I'm going to put in a rear helm station so will need to have at least Sounder back there.

What I would love is a way to use only one transducer for both screens. Without spending big bucks on the E80, Furuno Navnet, or Garmin 3000 series I haven't found a way to do that. If a good relatively inexpensive PC sonar was available I would actually go with it instead even though from everything I have seen so far the Raymarine Digital Sounder seems to be the best thing going right now.

flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the C70 radar package and love it. You can have multiple screens open on it too, just like the C80 or the rest. I have mine hanging and the smaller size doesn't obstruct view sitting or standing. I boated all over the US the first year with a Matrix 97 and that little thing is amazing for the price and would still be my primary if I didn't need radar.

Hate to bring this up, but if you'd have bought a C-Dory, the difference in price (and not having to have a large tow vehicle) would have made your system and gas for the first 10 years of cruising free . . . (it's not to late to get that deposit back)
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone in the seattle area that wants to try out the c-80 system can go for a ride with me on a sunday. I really enjoy the amount of info that is available on the system. I have really worked hard to try and figure out the best set ups for me depending on what Iam doing at the time, fishing or cruising. As far as the c vs. the e system ,for boats our size, i think the E is over kill. the only benefit is the video options and with boats as small as ours we just don't need them. The 3-D map on the platunim card for the E system will not work on the C system, yet. those are the only real differences between the two systems and for $2500 more I can live with out them.
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gljjr wrote:
Part of my problem is that I'm going to put in a rear helm station so will need to have at least Sounder back there.

I would think the c-80 system would be perfect for this. Why put a sounder at the second helm when you can clearly see the c-80's screen from there? I troll back at the kicker motor and have no problem seeing the sounder from there.

The only thing I don't like about the c-80 so far and this could be user error is I can't seem to get the vessel speed to be displayed in large numbers like the depth is. It's not totally important but when trolling from the cockpit it would be nice to see it better. Anyone know how to do this?
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The e 80 is great for old tired eyes. Love mine. I've had the c 80 on 3 boats, and that system is very hard to beat. If you play in the fog a lot the overlay feature is comforting and saves a whole lot of guesswork.

Dusty
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

I'll take you up on that Smile You still have my number?

The difference in the E over the C that I'm looking at is the ability to network them. So you can have 2 heads and just one set of sensors.

And no, I won't be able to see the C80 well enough from the rear helm. That is why I want the sounder in the back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: