State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GxK wrote:

Quote:
"...The Garmin GPSMAP 840xs Chartplotter/Sonar is my lead candidate at the moment. The unit size of the 1040xs--14" wide and 9" tall--might simply be too big for my TomCat 24 helm. Yes, it would be nice to have a 10-inch display but the 8-inch display may be adequate.The unit size of the 840xs is 11.5" wide and 7.4" tall. The 840 pretty well has the same features you cited for the 1040. "

GxK, NO it really won"t be too big. I have a Raymarine C120 or 12 inch at the helm on a CD 22 Cruiser. And it fits, And no, it does not block my view, and no, I am not 6'10" either. Is it big, yes, but I run 2 charts in vertical orientation on it all the time, (one in close and one out at 6 miles usually) and they fit. I have never heard anyone say they wished they had a smaller screen. I have heard it said something like, WOW, wish I could see that on my screen, or Gee, I wish my screen was bigger. Another friend says, "Invest in real estate, it is always worth it."

Quote:
"...And, yes, Bob, an em-trak B100 AIS Class B Transceiver is on the list. The Admiral fell in love with AIS during several foggy days in Maine this summer when we cruised with Bruce and Joan Kessler aboard Spirit of Zopilote. Fog will be a factor for a good portion of the intended route. "

I first started using an AIS receiver, several years ago, Wonderful invention. And I often have fog covering in some of my journey. AIS is great, but do not rely entirely on it in the fog. In no way is every boat on the water sending you an AIS signal. It is a great tool fur use with the vessel that do have it, but actually, most don"t.

AS to needing an arch. Not really, a pedestal will do fine unless you are looking for rod, light, and other holders to mount on it as well.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

GxK

City/Region: Frenchman's Bay, Lake Ontario
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: At Last! ex Goose
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
NO it really won"t be too big. I have a Raymarine C120 or 12 inch at the helm on a CD 22 Cruiser. And it fits, And no, it does not block my view, and no, I am not 6'10" either. Is it big, yes, but I run 2 charts in vertical orientation on it all the time, (one in close and one out at 6 miles usually) and they fit. I have never heard anyone say they wished they had a smaller screen. I have heard it said something like, WOW, wish I could see that on my screen, or Gee, I wish my screen was bigger.

I hear you, Harvey, I hear you! As Bob suggested, I'm going to play around with mock-ups as the next step.

And thanks for the input on the necessity of a radar arch. I'll revisit that topic later in a separate thread on how to carry an inflatable dinghy on the roof of a TomCat 24.

--Georgs[/img]

Frenchman's Bay, Lake Ontario
http://tomcat-tales.blogspot.com/
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other trick, is to make an aluminum bracket for the chart plotter. On occasion you can bring the top of the plotter down an inch, and still have the MFD at a good viewing angle. I did this with the 740S, and have industrial strength velcro glued to the bottom and the top of the center part of the console. This makes it much quicker to put on and remove the MFD.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
GxK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
One other trick, is to make an aluminum bracket for the chart plotter. On occasion you can bring the top of the plotter down an inch, and still have the MFD at a good viewing angle. I did this with the 740S, and have industrial strength velcro glued to the bottom and the top of the center part of the console. This makes it much quicker to put on and remove the MFD.

Thanks, Bob, I'll file that one away for when the time comes.

--Georgs
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadband radar is the only way to go.

If you want a true 48 mi radar, try the Navico HALO 3 radar. With a 3' wingspan, you get everything from 10' to 250,000' (48 mi.)

However, if you're planning on using this on a 22/25 C-Dory, 48 mi sounds a little much. As does 24 mi. Remember, the radar is going to be mounted on a small boat, the horizon is only 9 mi away at most. One should try to get a good an image as possible in the range is which one is going to use the boat. I find this to be less then 9 mi and installed the best radar available: 3G which gives great images out to the horizon.

As for a radar arch, your choice. I have the high arch, but if you go with a radome, you can happily live with a pedestal.

Boris
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to be pedantic, but perhaps one of the admins can correct the spelling of "radar" in the Title of the thread? It now reads "rader" and there is a bunch of good info here that will not be as easily found via search, condemning us all to do this again!
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kushtaka wrote:
I don't mean to be pedantic, but perhaps one of the admins can correct the spelling of "radar" in the Title of the thread? It now reads "rader" and there is a bunch of good info here that will not be as easily found via search, condemning us all to do this again!

Actually the word radar is correctly spelled so many times within the thread that a search on "radar" will bring up this thread (along with many, many others on the topic of radar). If the admins tried to correct all the spelling errors and typos on this site, they'd need to hire staff and charge a fee. So, those who are punctilious perfectionists may just have to live with the occasional spelling problem.

GxK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject: Radar selection/Broadband and other options Reply with quote

Mea culpa. It was my typo at the beginning of this thread that started the "rader" discussion. I tried to correct it by introducing "Radar selection" as the subject line but the board reverts to the original.

Fortunately, the typo in the subject line doesn't impair a search, as can be seen here: http://bit.ly/1NDc9pD

--Georgs
jennyfer

City/Region: Ho Chi Minh
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and MARPA never has worked. Simard doesn't have a fix. Not a huge loss (VRM EBL works for me) but its frustrating that they'd release a half baked product. Actually, there are quite a few software glitches.
GxK

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jennyfer wrote:
Oh, and MARPA never has worked. Simard doesn't have a fix. Not a huge loss (VRM EBL works for me) but its frustrating that they'd release a half baked product. Actually, there are quite a few software glitches.

Thanks to you and others for the heads-up on Simrad issues.

At the top of my short list i have Garmin GMR 18 xHD Radome Radar and Garmin GPSMAP 840xs Chartplotter/Sonar or Garmin GPSMAP 1040xs Chartplotter/Sonar. The only thing giving me pause is the price, almost $4K CDN.

http://www8.garmin.com/buzz/marine/

--Georgs
SGIDave

City/Region: St. George Island
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: Seadation - SOLD 09/2013
Photos: SeaDation
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jennyfer wrote:

Hello Jenny,

On my system with Simrad 3G radome, NSS8 display, and Raymarine EV heading sensor, the MARPA works fine.

What heading sensor are you using?

dave
GxK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something looks suspicious here:

jennyfer

City/Region: Ho Chi Minh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:31 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Jennyfer join C-Brats to promote Cactus Themes? The stuff about MARPA not working and software glitches is copied from an earlier post in this thread.

--Georgs
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Georgs,
I've got that system. That is, the GPSMAP 840xs and GMR 18HD radar. Mostly happy with it. I'm sure it's a learning curve, but I almost prefer my old RayMarine B&W Pathfinder radar back. The GPSMAP840 is definitely an improvement over my GPSMAP541s. But I'm still trying to learn the best way to tweak the radar. As I said, I'm sure it's just a learning curve for me. I will also say, Garmin, Like Chevy or Ford, seems to only want to use their products. Ie, I already owned a lot of Garmin Chips and software, so it was pretty easy to just continue on with the newer, bigger and better versions. But if you don't already own the software and various chips for more in depth plotting, be prepared for some sticker shock. That being said, what comes on the unit does a good job. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: