The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Lowrance 3G radar overlay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Lowrance 3G radar overlay Reply with quote

Journey On has a Lowrance 3G radar. I can overlay the radar on top of the chart in OpenCpn, which requires that I start up the laptop PC and bring up OpenCpn. This isn't an easy thing to do, actually it's a PITA.

What I needed was a way of overlaying the radar on top of the chart that the Lowrance 7" HDS Gen 2 displays, cheaply. And I've found it.

The Point-1 Antenna supplies the direction signal needed. It costs $180 (internet) plus another $60 (also internet) for the NMEA 2000 connection.

I tried it at Lake Powell and it works great. After calibration (turn the boat it a circle) the various compasses on the boat agree to within 2 deg. It also has a GPS which becomes the primary GPS. It's designed to be an outdoors unit, but I mounted it on the package shelf. The radar overlay appears to be exact.

Mission accomplished.

Boris
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris,

You are going to love it. I use my radar every time the engines are running, and it runs on an overlay on my plotter. For me, it really helps with the situational awareness. If your overlay does not sync with the plotter (size, miles, range) don't forget to adjust or it may give you a thrill at some point.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - I love mine with the overlay now. I had a point 1 sensor installed earlier this year as part of a new autopilot system. The radar overlay came along as a "bonus". I was going to do it myself and had even bought the point 1 sensor. But when the autopilot was being put in I was in Thailand and they wound up buying and installing a separate heading sensor. As a result, I have one that I purchased that is new in the box that I need to get rid of.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: