The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

CUBA CRUISE? - RELATIONS CHANGING TODAY
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up until a few years ago there was an annual race to Cuba. It was "hosted" by the Yacht club in Hemmingway Marina. This was basically stopped by the US Coast Guard--on orders from above. I have many friends who have cruised Cuba in the late 90's and early 2000's. It only takes a change of policy. Cuba will not stamp your passports. The South Coast of Cuba is still a cruising paradise. We were going to check in at Isle of Pines, but then the 2 US planes were shot down (I believe that was in 1996) and we chickened out. A few months later I talked to several boat owners who had been in Cuba during and after this time--no problems. There are still US boats visiting Cuba--they just go from Bahamas, or Isla and don't get the passports stamped. Is there a risk, upon returning to the US--yes.

One of my friends who has a Pastor's certificate from the Church of the Open Garage Door (or something like that) visited Cuba about 3 years ago on a "mission". No problems, since he had permission. Others have been journalists. It is possible.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
damason

City/Region: Valparaiso, Florida
State or Province: FL
Photos: CHARITY
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Cuba Reply with quote

One of the posts informed about the Americans that Cuba has killed. Just remember we lost 55,000 in Vietnam which is a communist country. We do business with Vietnam today and American tourist visit all the time. Look at the items for sale in every store that come from China. We have a large amount of trade and travel with China today and they are a communist country.

Cuba is not a military threat. Cuba is not a financial threat. Cuba is not a moral threat so why shouldn't we have good relations with Cuba. Business, travel and tourism would certainly help the Cubans and the Cuban government would have more money to fix up the old buildings that need much renovation.

For over 50 years we have had a iron tighly clasped fist towards Cuba and insist that "they do it our way" and it has not worked and never will.

Why don't we extend our warm open hand of friendship and see if that will maybe work.

When the 2016 Presidential election occurs I have already made up my mind as how my vote will be cast. It will be for the candidate that who is favorable to CUBA.

Once a C-Brat - Always a C-Brat!
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking your own boat to Cuba? Well... maybe I sold my boat too soon? I had a list of things I wanted to do with our C-Dory, but cruising to Cuba wasn't even on our radar.

Like Dr. Bob, I once considered crewing on a boat (or taking ours) for the race from KW to Cuba. Then the Coast Guard cracked down on boats coming back, threatening to confiscate boats! No thanks.

But, I like the direction this is headed.

Happy New Year,
Jim
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Cuba Reply with quote

damason wrote:
One of the posts informed about the Americans that Cuba has killed. Just remember we lost 55,000 in Vietnam which is a communist country. We do business with Vietnam today and American tourist visit all the time. Look at the items for sale in every store that come from China. We have a large amount of trade and travel with China today and they are a communist country.

Cuba is not a military threat. Cuba is not a financial threat. Cuba is not a moral threat so why shouldn't we have good relations with Cuba. Business, travel and tourism would certainly help the Cubans and the Cuban government would have more money to fix up the old buildings that need much renovation.

For over 50 years we have had a iron tighly clasped fist towards Cuba and insist that "they do it our way" and it has not worked and never will.

Why don't we extend our warm open hand of friendship and see if that will maybe work.

Thank you damason - spot on IMO.

A few more points you forgot to mention,,,

How much better the former evil, corrupt, repressive and "American Approved" dictator was(Batista).

Military threat? Has the US forgot who invaded who(Bay Of Pigs)? Then for years attempted to secretly assassinate the new Cuban President?

Castro's revolution and the reason it was successful is because he wished to bring control of his countries future back to the people. Batista was in bed with large American companies that were exploiting Cuban labour and raw materials.

One reason they sided with Russia was because after the US banned imports, Russia agreed to purchase their sugar. This being one of the islands main sources of income - who could blame them?

The US has violated the original lease for Guantanamo Bay(signed by the President) which allowed for its use as a harbour. Using it to imprison terrorists or others the Bush administration did not like so that they were not required to be given the rights guaranteed prisoners under US law is in contravention of that lease. Many years ago in protest Cuba began refusing to cash the checks from the US for this lease. Does that sound like the actions of a barbaric or warlike nation? To me it sounds like the peaceful protest of a gentleman.

Yes it is human nature to want freedom yet Cubans have jobs, food, housing, medicare, etc. Basic needs that many in North America do not have, so who is better off some would argue.

I had the opportunity to visit Cuba 3 years ago and I have to agree with Sunbeam and others that people are people despite the best efforts of some governments to change them. WE could learn from them - they appreciate the things they have take care of them and repair them when they break. Far more advanced than North America environmentally. We criticize China for polluting yet it is us that buy their cheap - use once and throw away products.

OK I'm done now, sorry if this rant offends anyone!
Regards, Rob

anchorout

City/Region: Lake Charles
State or Province: LA
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: EZ DUZIT
Photos: EZ DUZIT
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Cuba Reply with quote

In 2006 we went from the Bahamas to Cuba on our sailboat as GUESTS of a Canadian boat. At that time you could go to Cuba, but it was illegal to spend money there. As GUESTS of another country's citizen, it was legal. The south coast was pristine. I remember buying a small garbage bag full of lobster tails for $20 US, and they seemed glad to get the dollars.

A friend of ours lost one of their masts on the north coast and when calling on the SSB, was denied entrance, even though in a storm and in an emergency. He and his wife entered port anyway. They were detained and questioned by authorities. While they spoke some Spanish, the locals spoke no English. Somewhere during the conversation, the word "embarrassed" came up. The locals took it to mean "embarrazado" (pregnant}. From then on, thinking she was pregnant, the Cubans were very cordial and helpful, helping them repair their boat then sending them on their way. They had only good things to say about their experience.

RogerJuntunen

City/Region: Rupert, ID
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: In Cahoots - Idaho
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Cuba Reply with quote

There are some fine comments in this thread related to Cuba. Our governor and many of our Idaho farmers have made multiple trips to Cuba hoping to be able to sell or trade with them, however when Obama suggests lightening restrictions with Cuba, many of our citizens are against it. Are they against Cuba or Obama? In this case I think Obama is correct and normalizing relations with Cuba is long overdue Roger Juntunen
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interest in Cuba just popped up again in another thread here:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=23434&highlight=

Yea Jim, you might have sold too soon.

What could a fleet of C-Dorys do in helping to create a peaceful exchange. I just recently saw something, and I don't remember where, on some small boat sailing races taken to Cuba. Looked like Hobbie 16 or 18 size wet boats.

Still think it sounds like an interesting experience.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Pedromo

City/Region: Oxnard
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: C-Casa
Photos: C-Casa
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of you who have met me personally know I emigrated from Cuba when I was 16, some 54 years ago, for which I'll forever be grateful.
Notwithstanding my political opinions, I submit our C Dorys are not the vessel to cruise around the coasts of Cuba.
The main problems would be fuel, spare parts and petty crime while in remote areas, assuming weather conditions are favorable.
Those who are willing to travel by land, and consider yourselves adventurous, and have interest in relatively outdated creature comforts, will find many beautiful places, good music and nice people. Unfortunately travel within the Island is subject to government restrictions, and vigilance.
Personally I would like to show my children where I grew up during the first 15-16 years of my like, but I have become accustomed to freedom, and as such, I refuse to have to travel with a government assigned "guide", who would be telling where the outbound lines are located, and what sort of conversations I could have with folks on the streets.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...it showed a strength of the people to learn to live and survive with what they had available without normal trade with neighbors.

They had no choice. No liberty. No freedom. We could learn a thing or two.

And their cars are not fine and running without issue. Their old cars are all crap, held together by necessity, desperation, bubble gum, duct tape, bailing wire and old Russian parts.

While some of you may see or hope to see the "romance" of such a trip, I and my family would have no desire. As was just posted prior to me, I would choose to visit areas where I will not be monitored 24/7 by a communist bureaucrat, intent on controlling my every thought and word.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: