The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New hull colors
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wefings wrote:
The color on the new 22 on our lot is the traditional "tailgate blue " .Its reticulated because we wanted to do something a bit different . The solid color Ventures were also built for Wefings and they were not black but solid "tailgate blue" [by the way, they were the first to sell ]The Tomcat with my old sales guy Buzz in the back [with the camera 2007 vintage] is photoshopped by us to show colors to folks . Here is a "real" tailgate blue tomcat gallery .If you were a new buyer looking for a C Dory ,you might not just look at it and say "it looks different than what I have seen, so I dont like it "
NMI and Wefings have been very interested in making boats that retain what's great about C Dorys but letting folks express their style . Yes we can make the traditional boats , but a manufacturer needs to give folks reasons to buy new . And a stake in the process as well . Colors and fabrics are part of that customization process . I have not seen better built boats than we are getting now . We have electrical and mechanical options that we never were able to get before and its great to work with a company that dedicated to growing the brand again .

Like this 2016 Venture 26 in aqua and bright white, built for a couple in South Florida

From the guy who likes a little bling for his money, I think it's great to see some color, fabric, etc. options on the C-Dory.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, I am OK with some different colors, but the signature of a C-Dory is that shear stripe and the brow. Kind of seems like you are messing with the C-Dory DNA when you take those away, and reversing it out effectively does that, UNLESS they figure a way to make the side or the gunnel/deck just above the stripe in the same color as the hull to contrast the shear stripe and retain the trademark.

Just my thoughts, not trying to regress the progress the NMI folks are making.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

RobMcClain

City/Region: Summerlin, NV
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, look at it this way, the shear stripe is painted white as opposed to blue or green or... It still there and still noticeable, just in the color white.

Marc, you mentioned new features - new electric and mechanical options not before offered. Like what??

Rob
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

**BUMPING AN OLD THREAD**

I love the gray scheme and the Tomcat. I don't like the dark blue scheme.

I'm definitely a fan of these new colors and mixing it up a bit. We need to attract more CD buyers. I don't know how to do that BUT offering more factory color schemes can't hurt!

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark colors are difficult to keep [looking] clean. I have a black car and it looks "dirty" five minutes after I wash it. So for me, the majority being white is fine. Just my two cents.
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they can charge a premium to purchase the legacy color scheme !

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way to attract new buyers, is to advertise--look at the Ranger Tug/Cutwater example. They happen to have solid color = bright/ dark, high maintenance hulls.

Personally, I don't want a solid hull color--because of the increased maintenance, and susceptibility to dings, which are harder to repair. Again--a personal preference, based on experience. I have had two colored hull boats, one the bright red Columbia 29--and it was a nightmare to keep looking perfect. The other was a very light yellow--and was much easier to maintain. Currently a neighbor has a high end 30 foot Center console, with a dark green hull--and it really looks bad--the green has faded to different amounts in various areas. I had this same problem with the dark green stripe on my Tom Cat 255.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO red is the worst to keep from being trashed, in cars and boats. The pigments dull & fade from UV. I would never buy a red car nor paint one of my classic VW's red. Every car I've ever owned has been a light color; white, silver etc. So much easier. Boats are worse.
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
IMO red is the worst to keep from being trashed, in cars and boats. The pigments dull & fade from UV. I would never buy a red car nor paint one of my classic VW's red. Every car I've ever owned has been a light color; white, silver etc. So much easier. Boats are worse.

Mark, I agree (and with Bob too) the darker colors are a paint to keep up. My vehicles are always lighter shades, although I have considered a maroon truck to match my boat stripe color, BUT that red is a magnet for other things as well, so silver it will be. Thanks for the warning on the "red".

(My personal feeling about white, It is the primer color they put on before they paint, so the factory got by on the cheap by not having to put on a finish color.) AND BEFORE I get a ton of "not so's", I know, I know, and there are practical reasons for having a white vehicle, (like to hide in the fog or snow) It just is my favorite non-color. (OK, no offense to those who like and drive white, it just isn't my "color".)

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

hardee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Austin Said:

Quote:
"The way to attract new buyers, is to advertise--look at the Ranger Tug/Cutwater example. They happen to have solid color = bright/ dark, high maintenance hulls."

You are right Bob, and the Mfg's are not interested in putting $$$ into advertising a line that brings them less profit per boat than their "other line". That irritates the daylights out of most of us, but then again, that also keeps our used boat values up where we like that when we sell.

Check out the recent Ranger Tug full page advertising piece, front (p-7) of the BoatUS Dec mag. NINE pictures in all, only 3 have pictures of their boats, and the headline is "WE CAN TAKE YOU THERE" ~~~~~~~~~~~ "You're not just buying a boat, you're joining our family." Have we seen or heard that anywhere before?

Sorry for the off thread rant, Guess this should be another thread, oh, and we have done that before here too. here is on of the threads:

Triton now Northwest Marine Industries?

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=19859&highlight=cdory+advertising+manufacturer

Harvey
SleepyCMoon
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny how these topics drift... Sounds like I'm in the minority here, but the lack of marketing by NMI is perfectly fine by me! Ranger was noted for their strong marketing, which is very true, but anyone who boats in the PNW has also probably noticed that Rangers appear to be on pace to outnumber the Bayliners any day now...have you seen the size of the Tug Nuts rendezvous at Roche Harbor? Crazy! That's exactly why I'm selfishly happy that NMI does not put more effort into it. I still get excited when I spot another C-dory out on the water. Despite the same basic 22' Cruiser being in production since the late '80s they are still not that numerous, and that's part of the appeal of our boats, in addition to the colorful hull stripes!

Back to the topic, the anticipated sun fade of gelcoat was one factor when deciding to go with light grey for Big-C. Admittedly, I feel the dark stripe C-dory's look neat, dare I say better, and now that the boat is being kept indoors anyway, a small part wishes I had chosen dark red instead, to match with Lil'C! But all the colors are good on a C-dory!

-Mike

BillE

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: BillE
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When and if I buy it will be used, and color will not be the deciding factor as I'm good with all of them. But I do keep changing my mind about which I like best! They all have their appeal.

I really enjoy the "gimmie a random C-Brat" feature here, as I like every single boat that I see. The C-Dory looks cool in all sizes and all colors.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my Tom Cat, I had a choice of colors, IF I was willing to wait a few months, since a production boat with the green stripe/accent was available.

Marc. I also would like to know what new options are available---and this is exactly the reason to advertise (as would be the option of colors).

I do see the Magnum control unit, in the Wefing's photos, which makes me believe that NWI is finally putting a quality inverter in their boats.--not sure why two water pumps however, in the under the galley--are they both fresh water?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: