starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a water leak on the floor while the boat was parked in the yard. After much searching i figured it was the door leaking when it rained. The door was not sitting flush against the door jam. the floor only got wet when the cavans cover was left off and it rained. We also had a bow stem leak but that was earleir and would leak while we were running the boat after being anchored all night. Hope this helps.
C-Fisher

City/Region: Lake Stevens
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Fisher
Photos: C-Fisher
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure you already checked this but I had the same problem that had me stumped for awhile. What it turned out to be was the darn plug in the transom. Bought a nice new stainless T type and have not had the problem since. Seems that the water was leaking right through the center post of the plug.

Wayne
CatyMae n Steve

City/Region: Jefferson, OR
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CatyMae
Photos: CatyMae
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've emptied the water for the winter...just carrying water containers for now...so not using the pump. We had it all dried (towel dry) last weekend while we were on it, and saw the water coming back onto the floor from the rear corner of the storage under the Wallas, so we think it's either the bilge area or the fresh water supply hose, but don't know for sure. It eventually works its way under the seat area too, tho, so it's a real PAIN to find everything wet in the storage areas...
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first got my 22, I had a leak into the cabin that I couldn't trace down for the longest time. Eventually dried it out, waited for rain, and rushed to the dock to spend an hour or two on it during a down pour. I discovered that the leak was coming from a poor seal around the fill tube for the fresh water system. I'm not sure if it's in the same location on a 25, but on the 22 it's on the gunnel just in front of a little rise that's designed to channel water off the side so it doesn't run into the cockpit. Depending on the angle at which the trailer is parked, or in heavy rain, a small pool can develop here. When it leaks around the fill tube, it comes out behind the seats in the cabin, runs down the side (hidden from view) and then leaks out below onto the cabin floor. Hence it was really hard to find even though it would sometimes result in an inch of water or so in the cabin. However, once I found it, a little sealant solved the problem forever.

Roger on the SeaDNA.

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...interesting to see this come up again, and flipping through from the start, I see we did not post what we found to be causing our problem. There was a hint in Anna Leigh's post - he removed our ice box. Well, there was plastic tubing for the ice box drain that ran to a though hull fitting. We took the plastic tube off when we removed the ice box, without thinking about the through hull fitting. I 5200'd a cap over the through hull fitting, and bingo - dry cabin!

rogerbum wrote:
When I first got my 22, I had a leak into the cabin that I couldn't trace down for the longest time. I found it, a little sealant solved the problem forever.

Roger on the SeaDNA.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Lynn Marie

City/Region: Redmond
C-Dory Year: 1997
Photos: Lynn Marie
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one more spot that should also be checked out if you have the Wallas and that is the elbowed thru hull for the exhaust. You may be getting a leak in heavy weather when the boat rolls from side to side. I finally slowed the thing down by removing the fitting and re-installing with a layer of high temp teflon sealant cord I got from the Gizmo King, TyBoo Mike. Since the Wallas does get hot you need to use some type sealant that will take the heat. Not sure what the factory uses but that would also be a good source if resetting is needed.

Tim

flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also seal it with high heat (muffler) tape (looks like aluminum foil). Makes a good seal -- just overlap where it goes on the drain pipe and enough on the exhaust hose so that the clamp goes over the tape and all will be well.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another place to watch is around the fasteners for the rub rail strips, or anywhere behind the rails. The rub rails are installed over the seam at the joint between the cabin top secton and the hull. Mine had a big leak behind one of the rails where the hull/top seal didn't get fully glassed, and it was hard to find because the water ran down into the channel created by the lapstrake (or whatever you call it) molded into the inside of the hull. It let a bunch of water in because of the length of the rail allowing it to catch more. When I found it I drilled two holes through the aluminun rail bracket behind the rubber about 8" on either side of the leaky section. I filled those holes with silicone, let it set up, and then drilled small holes just inside the two dams and pumped into one until it can out the other. No more water in the cabin. It was good that it took so long to find it, because every other likely leaker got a good seal job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: