Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smittypaddler

City/Region: Neenah, Wisconsin
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Na Waqa
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: A jumper cable to a metal shroud? Reply with quote

I used to have a Corinthian Sailstar (which I miss). I kept an automobile jumper cable in the boat, and when anchored, clipped one end to a metal shroud, and tossed the other end in the water. I never got struck by lightning, but I'll never know whether it was the jumper cable that saved me. I've never done anything on my C-Dory except lower the VHF antenna. I do toss a sacrificial zinc over the side with an alligator clip to the metal on the engines when I'm in a marina, but that's for electrolysis, not lightning protection.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
garyf

City/Region: Lincoln
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: C-Story
Photos: C-Story
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
So what would happen if the hand held were NOT in a steel ammo box? Say, just lying on a shelf on the boat or in the V-berth?

It depends on how close of a strike you get. Even if you don't take a direct hit, lightning can damage electronics through an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) effect. So... if your equipment is not protected and lightning is nearby, there's always the potential for damage. A hand-held radio and hand-held GPS in a metal box is not a bad idea.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of a handheld VHF and GPS in a metal box for lightening protection. I'm not sure I like the idea of a metal box on board. I really work at keeping magnetic or steel anything off the boat. Just trying to keep it away from the AP direction sensor and the KVH compass.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: