State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cemiii wrote:
Now, as soon as I perfect the “string and mini-anchor toe harness” to wake me

One of the guys that lived in our dormitory in college in the 60's used to tie a string to his toe at nights and dangle the string out his window so his girlfriend could come by in the morning and pull on the string to awaken him. It worked really great for him until a couple of us found out about it. Mr. Green .

C-Brat #16
Levity

City/Region: Shippensburg
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Levity
Photos: Levity
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently read (but cannot find the reference) about someone who while anchored amongst other boats found themselves moving closer and then passing by their neighboring boat. They thought they were dragging anchor but found their swivel had broken. Seems they were using an inexpensive, less robustly made swivel. How frequently this happens I cannot say but apparently it does happen. My admiral is never certain that the anchor will hold. Investigating the quality and condition of an anchor swivel seems a valid exercise. Mine seems kinda puny now that I think about it. Perhaps there is a swivel enhancement product available; preferably one that will improve my anchoring gear thereby providing my admiral with a knowing and satisfied smile.
Mike "Levity"

Last edited by Levity on Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't think I want an anchor watch string on my toe - especially if Sea Shift is around.

I removed my swivel and replaced it with a shackle. I tried adding the shackle before the swivel and I could still find a position where the swivel could bind and side load. I think the best arrangement I read about is to have three or four links of chain from the anchor to the swivel. Not enough room for this on my CD22. Also it seems that Kong brand swivels have a good reputation.

I will now see how much of a problem I have with the anchor line twisting.

Steve
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaSpray wrote:
Also it seems that Kong brand swivels have a good reputation.

I suggest you read THIS first.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Capital Sea

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Capital Sea
Photos: Capital Sea
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well C-Dawg, I will not comment on the question of how your winch/wench may be twisting while you remained at the helm, but what I will say is that I have a delta and an oversized swivel (largest pin I could fit into the hole in the anchor), premium line and a V1 windless. As you know, I was pulling right nest to you on the river last weekend in a condition of combined river current and outgoing tide. When at anchor we had 30'chain and 120'rode out and tied off. On retrieval the line did have twist in the counter clockwise direction and this were some of the first times I had deployed since the installation. My line buggered up in the gypsy a few times as result of the twist, causing me to back out a few feet and then proceed.
Here is what I think happened:
Since I do not think the anchor spun in this situation and my swivel clearly works, I attribute the twist to stretching the line under the substantial combined current and wind for several hours followed by a relatively quick retrieval. As you stretch new line it wants to twist a bit and over time it did just that. Then upon releasing the tension the stretch was removed and some extent of twist recovery occurred.

Save our Sound!
cemiii

City/Region: Alamo
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: The Last One........ III
Photos: The Last One, III
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to gloss over the very real concerns brought out, I have to assume that a 55lb. anchor (in the story) was probably attached to a 50-60' class boat. We are likely talking forces of many multiples of a C-Dory, I would think?

At any rate, I have a long driveway and I ran the entire 300' 3 strand rode set up through the windlass yesterday, both directions, (wife on switch, me holding anchor) and did not see one turn on the swivel. Most of any rode twist must come from anchor spin on the drop/retrieval. I put a picture of the setup in the album and the jury is still out on this one. At least, as set up, I have the fairly simple ability to just bypass the swivel in overnighting situations.

Chris

Capital Sea

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Capital Sea
Photos: Capital Sea
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, C-Dawg and I were both deploying in less than 20 feet of water and both have more chain than that depth. I just do not think we had spin on the way down or up that explains what he experienced and in my case we are talking about 9-10 revolutions which manifested itself in two kinks as the line was being retrieved under slight to moderate pressure and prior to when the anchor left the mud.
If the stretch theory is wrong then I think the rode was twisted to begin with and had never been run all the way out in deep water at slack tide. Then when drawn back in under pressure it could not adjust itself causing the twisting to concentrate in a few short sections of line.
It's the hose off the side of the real effect, if you follow me.
cemiii

City/Region: Alamo
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: The Last One........ III
Photos: The Last One, III
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes perfect sense to me. I was not responding to your post and was probably writing mine when you posted. I type slowwwwww and the 30 minute time period usually expires well before I catch even half my misspeaks and blunders.

Chris
chucko

City/Region: Davidson
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1997
Vessel Name: Sea Angel
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into similar line twist recently while anchoring in shallow water with my delta 14lb hook not wanting to get itself aligned for the anchor guide roller. I did swing a lot in windy conditions,so I'm pretty sure that's the cause. I will try to wind it up slowly today and see if that works, but if not l will likely shop for a quality swivel if anyone has a recommendation for my 22 setup please chime in ,thx

1997 22 cruiser, sold may 2023
1998 17 Aquasport Osprey cc sold sold 2012
1977 16 Mako cc sold 1999
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H had not anchored very much until my Vancouver Island trip, so my system was pretty much used for lunch stops only. I have 70 feet of chain and 250 feet of nylon 3 strand secured to the underside of the bow deck. The anchor is a 14# Delta, and it is attached with a stainless swivel.

I had 2 nights where I rode hard on the wind, and sailed through and arch of up to 90 degrees or maybe more at times. When it was hooked up hard, it held great. When retrieving, I did that slowly, with usually a couple of pauses after I pass the 30 foot marker to allow the chain to rinse. If it starts to come up muddy, I will move the bow back and forth until the anchor is off the bottom, and then I spin the boat to wash the chain and anchor. It works to clear kelp or weed pretty well, and it gives the neighbors something to stare at for a few minutes. (Its tough to be out on the fore deck, when the anchor is up, and there is current or wind, and no one to be at the helm,) so this is a good wash system. A few times the anchor came up and had to flip over as it cam into the launcher, maybe 4 or 5, but usually it just slides up into the launcher, clean and tight.

I would highly recommend, marking your chain at 10, 5 and 3 feet from the anchor connection, especially if you are using a windlass, that will allow you to see when to be ready to drop the switch, befroe it jams kelp or weed into the launcher.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: