The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Broughton Cruising Aug 2015

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Broughton Cruising Aug 2015 Reply with quote

Just wondering if there are any C-Dory's cruising in the Broughton area this August. I have been in Desolation Sound and working my way northward. would love to meet up with some Brats here or there, if the occasion permits. Unfortunately connectivity seem to be a major issue up here. Phone audio especially, cell service in general, text occasionally and wifi at Walmart mostly.... ah not much anchoring there though. Looking at launch in Port McNiel or Telegraph Cove soon.

Text 509 eight three three 88 sixty nine, for time sensitive info.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will be there August 23-28. Will you still be around?

Cindie

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My folks are leaving later in the week and heading north. Keep a look out for them. 44 Atlantic , blue strip and tan canvas.
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harvey, we plan to tow to Telegraph Cove Monday or Tuesday next week for a couple weeks
No firm plans other than Pierres, a visit with Billy Proctor and Alexandra Morton and hang near Robson Bight a couple days to see Orca (Hope!)
Likely Alert Bay and Sointula also
We should see you there
George
Blindbaybob

City/Region: Kamloops
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Grey C'Lune
Photos: Grey C'Lune
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been in the Broughtons for 10 days or so, and seeing lots of new and interesting things and places. Visited Billy Proctor this morning, were at Pierre's last night for halibut and chips, seen orcas, humpbacks, and lots of dolphins. We are presently at Kwatsi Bay at a lovely little low-key marina, just enjoyed pot-luck happy hour with a few boaters - this practice seems to be the norm around here.

Not sure how long we'll be in the area, but will try to keep in touch. Lori deep-sixed the iPhone the other day so our communications are limited! Call Navicula on Channel 16. Other cell phone is 250-571-4069.

Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been staying at Shawl Bay Marina all summer. Shawl Bay is a layed back place with a covered party float. A complementary pancake breakfast is served daily on the float and a 5:00p happy hour ends the day. Today at happy hour, I served peel and eat prawns, caught this morning, and another boater served fresh caught coho salmon.

Every other Wed is deep fried turkey or seafood chowder. Wed, Aug 12 will be chowder night. These dinners are cooked by Lorne with boaters bringing a side dish.

The water comes from a spring, and there is internet service. Lorne, the owner, bakes bread, sticky buns, and butter tarts. There is Haggen-das ice cream in the freezer. 15 and 30 amp power is available.

Prawning has been only so-so this year, but the coho are running nearby. One of the buildings has a laundry, shower and a book exchange. Moorage is $0.90/ft.

You can call on VHF 66A for moorage, with radio coverage from Echo Bay to Sullivan.

If you like meeting and hanging out with other boaters, this is the place.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Larry H

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duplicate post, sorry.
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrific, thanks for the replys. I'll be in Campbell River for a while today then heading north. Want to check out the Maritime Center here in CR. Weather is cooler here. Wal-Mart parking lot last night. Restocking after Desolation Sound. Have seen humpbacks often, dolphins a glimps, and picked blackberry s where a black bear sow and cub were hanging out. I picked before I knew about the bears.

Anyone know how the phone service is up island or in the Broughtons?

George, the timing is close, hope we can cross wakes early next week. Do you have text service? I'm on WM wifi on my phone. Can't seem to get the LT to make the connection.

Miss my daily CBrat fix.

Harvey
SleepyC
Larry H

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phone service in the Broughtons is mostly *none*. Phones work in the Queen Charlotte Strait, but not in the Broughton Islands if you loose sight of the Alert Bay tower.

Wi-Fi is available on a limited basis at most marinas. Do not try or expect to skype, stream movies or watch you tube. Turn off automatic updates and cloud services. Turn off auto start videos on Facebook.
Blindbaybob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, how many Brats will be in Shawl Bay Aug 12 for the 1st Broughtons C-Brats get-together?! Sounds great, Larry! We could make it! Currently at Jennis Bay in Drury Inlet.
ghone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got to Telegraph Cove, launch in morning and we'll stay here overnight to enjoy the boardwalk and small museum
Try to find Harvey on Sleepy C at Mound or Village island Thursday then hear for Pierres
Should see whales, as Stubbs Island charters are seeing lots
George
Blindbaybob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a Brats get-together at Shawl last night with 4 Brats and no Dorys. Missed you guys! We heard George and Harvey today whale watching, but you couldn't hear us when we called apparently.

We are now at Port Harvey, awaiting fair winds in the morning to make our exit down Johnstone and through the rapids inside. Family and other obligations call us home; it was a really interesting 1st time in the Broughtons for us.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got back late Friday and had a good trip. The forecast was going to heck so we took off a day early but still had a chance to enjoy nice weather and lots of bear and whale watching. We stayed in Booker Lagoon (bears), Bond Lagoon, Nimmo bay (bears), Pierre's, and Telegraph cove and we ran into C-fury out on the water, saw Eagle eye's 22, and found lots of glassy water. We spent the last day watching more orcas and humpbacks than we could keep track of!

We also met a few nice people on the docks who wanted to talk C-dorys so that was nice as well. A little short but a great trip for Ari!

I put a few pics here:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2346&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Greg
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, I had forgotten about this thread. (Had some other things on my mind -- and projects.) I had a great time up there, both in Desolation and Broughtons, and will go back for sure. I tried to call (VHF for "Any C-BRAT" each day on VHF 16. I had a couple of answers but not from this group, and I responded to several calls for "Hunky Dory" but turns out they were not C-Dory's. I did spend about a week with George and Carolyn of Kerri On and we had a great time, fresh fish, bears, and dreaming in circles.

I did leaved a signed C-BRAT burgee at Port Harvey -- YUP, I had to go there, and it was good enough to go back a second time. I figured if they ever got one of those it should come from me.

Super fish and chips, and pizza, and George makes cinnamon rolls every morning and you can get fresh home made bread, with a choice of makes, (white, wheat, gluten free, or multi grain) and if you take a red shoe in you get a free desert.

I would nominate Port Harvey for a C-BRAT CBGT next season.

I will write up my trip and get it into the SleepyC goes to Vancouver Island thread and a link here.

Absolutely a trip worth the effort.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ghone

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Broughtons are great! We enjoyed traveling with our bud Harvey so much, wildlife was abundant compared to Desolation Sound. Way fewer boats around, many days glassy water and no rain, just a bit of fog.
For several days Harvey was telling us about the awesome fish and chips at Port Harvey, so we had to get some. They were great as well as fresh bread and cinnamon rolls. Great place. Launching at Telegraph cove use Dock 29 facilities for launch and parking
$8 to launch and $30 week for parking of which there is lots of room. The marina itself is snug, worth an overnight to tour the historic boardwalk and have a meal in the pub. When heading off into the Broughtons, be sure to have enough of everything you need as re supply is scanty. Fuel is no problem, fresh provisions are scarce and pricey.
Harvey lead us to Sargeaunt Passage which is a fun little canal and turns out one of the best anchorages in the Knight Inlet approach. We saw 4 bears along in here, with humpbacks feeding and traveling in several places. 2 weeks just scratches the surface. Tieing up at Bill Proctors dock and chatting to him about the history of the area was a hi light. He has a great little museum inProctor Bay and a wealth of insights as he has lived in the area for 60 plus years. From the days when the area was busy with trollers, loggers and miners. Seeing C Fury on their fishing trip and Greg and Cindie on the road made for many c dory's this year in the area. Good call Greg to scoot when you did. The weather when it goes southeast can be impressive
George
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: