The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

09/10 - 09/13 - Mississippi River 2015
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joni Lynn

City/Region: Guttenberg
State or Province: IA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Joni Lynn
Photos: Joni Lynn
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahoy Two Bears
Chuck, I sent you an email with our email and phone number. Give us a holler when you get close to Guttenberg, IA. We're right on Lock & Dam # 10.

Paul & Joni on the Joni Lynn
swag

City/Region: Westport
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Rough Ride Reply with quote

We are looking at a C_Dory 22'. We are being told that it's a rough ride. Can anyone speak to that subject? Confused
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be rough in chop, but one can slow down to eliminate some of the roughness. Before my CD-22, I owned a Searay 268 Sundancer. I don't think my Cdory rides any worse than it did. In rough water/chop, I'm not convinced any "small" boat is going to be real comfortable. I just recently spent a few days in the North Channel with 4-6 ft waves and 30 mph winds. It was rough. But even the bigger boats were staying in. We were back to 5mph, even 3mph, and taking some water over the bow. These boats are very seaworthy, if that's any consolation in regards to not the smoothest riding in chop. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it gets closer to the event, is there a way to see who all is planning on being there, without trying to decipher thru the thread traffic? My wife and I will be there on the Midnight Flyer, probably arriving by trailer sometime Thursday around noon. Also, regarding directions. Anyone have any recommendations for one coming down I55 from the north. The person I made my reservations with at Alton suggested coming on down to I270, heading west to 367, then north towards Alton and come in that way to stay out of city stop and go traffic. Looks like a round about way, but it does appear to stay on freeway all the way into Alton. Colby
Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two Bears has made it from St Paul down to Wabasha, MN. We were held up in Red Wing two days waiting out the cold front with winds 25 to 40 on Lake Pepin coming from the south which would have hit us on the nose. It would not have been a "good trip." So, Red Wing is a nice town and our timing was good as we hit the Saturday Farmer's Market. Finally, the wind clocked around to NNW which ran down the lake, dropped to 15 -20, so we too ran down the lake this morning. Nice sleigh ride!

Our trip planning focused on how to deal with heat & humidity. We never thought about an arctic cold front. We are freezing. Long pants are in the truck and what do we do with that window box air conditioner we are packing along?

Still on pace to make the gathering at Alton.

Chuck

texasair

City/Region: Cypress, Texas
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Bixby's Cub
Photos: Bixbys Cub
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, weather happens.

We left Watergate marina in St. Paul in 2007 the first week in July on our first trip down the Big River with typical summer attire and just about froze.

Highs in the 70's during the day and down into the 40"s at night.

Every place we stopped folks said, "should have been here last week it was almost 100."

See you and Penny in Alton.
LesR

City/Region: St. Louis
State or Province: MO
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Intuition
Photos: Intuition
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby,
To see the list of people who have already signed up, select the "Events Signup" at the top of this page, choose the "Mississippi River 2015" gathering, and then click on the "View Information" button on the right side of the window. I don't believe you need to be signed in to see the list of attendees.

As far as the route into Alton from the north (I-55), I would suggest exiting I-55 at Hamel, IL and following Hwy 140 west into Alton. It's a two-lane road, but seems more direct and IMO less stressful than I-270 around the north side of St. Louis. Perhaps someone who trailered from the north last year can provide their route and recommendations.

Les
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Les. I'll take a look at that routing. I don't mind 2 lane, and I only tow at 55-60mph anyway. But would like to stay away from stop and go thru towns. I'll look at the event signup also. Just made our reservations at the marina as of yesterday. (Thought I made them earlier, but guess they didn't get the email...) We may come in very late Wed night if we are making good time. Otherwise we'll be in about noon on Thursday. Colby

p.s. just looked at the maps. After you get on 140, do you stay on it thru town or use 3 (Homer Adams Parkway) around to the south and E. Broadway to come in?
LesR

City/Region: St. Louis
State or Province: MO
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Intuition
Photos: Intuition
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby,
I think taking Homer Adams Parkway (Hwy 3) south to Broadway will involve less stop-and-go than taking 140 through "downtown" Alton. I will be in Alton on Labor Day and will take a quick circle around town to see which route looks most favorable. That will allow me to highlight any late construction or other factors.

Les
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Les. I appreciate that! Colby
k-p pelican

City/Region: Putnam
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee & Colby,

If you guys come into Alton on E. Broadway, Turn left at Broadway Connector. Next, turn right onto Hwy.67 (also called Hwy 143, Landmark Blvd). The marina will be about the second left turn, over the rr tracks. If you stay on E. Broadway, turn left on Henry St. and go straight to the marina. (might be easier this way)

Hope this helps.

Ken
Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two Bears is continuing down river. Today, the last day in August we reached Muscatine, IA - River Mile 455. That's 390 miles done, 253 more to go. We are using our air conditioner for the first time since leaving St.Paul.

At Guttenberg we were met by Paul and Joni Talsma, from the Jonie Lynn. They met us at the marina and took us to their home and fed us a great chicken dinner complete with vegies which are NOT available on the river. We took the left overs back to the boat and it made a dinner on the river and with the addition of a little egg a breakfast. Not bad people to meet along the river.

We enjoyed the River Museum at Debuque but it was a weekend and a little too lively on the docks for us old folks. Then the next night at Clinton was even more dock parties. We are enjoying the quietness and nice people in Muscatine.

Chuck & Penny
Tully-B

City/Region: Hopkins
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Tully-B
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: mississippi River Gathering 2015 Reply with quote

We certainly are getting close to launch day (Some are already on the way) and Jan and and I are wondering about how many pies we need to make for Friday Evening. I did go to the events sign up page and counted about 15 people involved in the discussion, however, this does not tell me how many people we can expect for Friday Evening. Can anyone give me a close count? Tex, if you read this and you want me to bring another ice cream maker send me a PM.

Thanks to all who gave directions, we will use them.

We have signed up for a slip at the marina but I am still not sure if we need to sigh up anywhere else, again, HELP! Lee and Jan on the Tully-B
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck and Penny, the Dubuque docks do get very loud with partiers on weekend nights. Unfortunately, that seems to be so true of many places where boats congregate. Sure wish people could respect the quiet sometimes! Smile Lee & Jan, I agree with you; would be nice to know exactly who are coming. (My wife keeps asking, although she's only met a very few, but wondering if they will be there. lol) FWIW, I and Rosanne will be there on the Midnight Flyer, and if I'm wide awake when we leave Wed after work, we'll be in about 11pm. But more than likely, Thursday before noon... Colby
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom and Joyce on the C-Otter well arrive Wednesday afternoon and we LOVE pie!

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: