View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rough Ride? Reply with quote

swag wrote:
People are trying to convince us not to buy a 2008 C-Dory 2' Angler because they are claiming the ride will be too rough? Any advice from the forum? swag Confused

I agree that a 2-foot C-dory would be a rough ride in any but the calmest of waters. Wink

Seriously, I've had several people comment to me about the rough ride on C-dorys but not a single one of them had actually ever been on a C-dory.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First you have to figure out what purpose your boat is going to need to fill.... most of the time. Then find a boat that fits that need. It has been well covered here.

I have been in 8 - 10 foot aft quartering, following seas, (Glad I remembered how to surf), in Georgia Strait. I have crossed Juan de Fuca in 4-6 foot forward quartering seas, and I have crossed it in 3-5 foot beam seas. Was it rough? No, because I adapted the speed to the conditions. Was it fun? Let's just say it was challenging. Did I ever feel unsafe? No. Would I generally chose to be out in those conditions? Not really, but it was one of those situations like George mentioned, It was a schedule thing, it was doable, and the C-Dory could handle it. It is what I call a "Boat Ride". It was not boring, and it was not unsafe, but I have been on less challenging, and more peaceful crossings.

Watching conditions, and knowing your local waters make a huge difference in what you can and will do, and tolerate to accomplish your daily goal.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get the picture, I think, that a CD22 will ride more slowly in chop than a deep v. That is the sole advantage of a deep v to me.

I boat in water that is nothing but chop, and sometimes that chop is on top of some nasty waves. I still did not choose a deep v. The CD22 is, pound for pound, the most seaworthy production boat available.

When things are very nasty you will find this boat to be vastly more controllable, responsive, and forgiving than any deep v boat out there. There is only a very small speed window where the boat wallows, it stays nicely at displacement up to about 7 knots, and only wallows up to about 10 knots when it begins to plane and is also quite stable. Most deep v boats are not super controllable at displacement speeds (twin engines can be), but wallow sometimes from 5 knots to 20 knots (generalizing!).

This means everything when you are in the worst conditions. I cannot tell you how much better it is to be in bad weather and be able to run on step at 10 knots. Most deep v hulls can't use speeds between 5 and 15 knots in very bad conditions, so they must go 5 knots or less.

These boats are very simple to operate, and are phenomenally seaworthy and easy on your pocket. If you can tolerate a little slower cruising speed you will gain a lot.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I boat the same place you do and I couldn't agree more.....

Kushtaka wrote:
You get the picture, I think, that a CD22 will ride more slowly in chop than a deep v. That is the sole advantage of a deep v to me.

I boat in water that is nothing but chop, and sometimes that chop is on top of some nasty waves. I still did not choose a deep v. The CD22 is, pound for pound, the most seaworthy production boat available.

When things are very nasty you will find this boat to be vastly more controllable, responsive, and forgiving than any deep v boat out there. There is only a very small speed window where the boat wallows, it stays nicely at displacement up to about 7 knots, and only wallows up to about 10 knots when it begins to plane and is also quite stable. Most deep v boats are not super controllable at displacement speeds (twin engines can be), but wallow sometimes from 5 knots to 20 knots (generalizing!).

This means everything when you are in the worst conditions. I cannot tell you how much better it is to be in bad weather and be able to run on step at 10 knots. Most deep v hulls can't use speeds between 5 and 15 knots in very bad conditions, so they must go 5 knots or less.

These boats are very simple to operate, and are phenomenally seaworthy and easy on your pocket. If you can tolerate a little slower cruising speed you will gain a lot.
Jake

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kushtaka wrote:

Okay, so I have never been on a C Dory (or similar boat) but have read a lot on this forum and, in my opinion, the above post is the best comparison I have read. I think one conclusion you can draw is, if you normally boat at WOT, a C Dory will ride much rougher than a deep V. But if you boat at water/wave/wind conditional speeds, the C Dory rides quite well. And since my experience is with a deep V, I can attest to the statement that they do not do well between 5 and 15 knots in rough conditions. Thanks for posting Kushtaka.
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might add one downside, albeit a very limited one, to a CD22.

If conditions dictate that you MUST run at a speed where the boat wallows (e.g. if you are in a heavy following sea and are trying to stay on the back of a wave that is moving at 8.5 knots) the CD is leading with a very flat portion of the hull and is going to pound like crazy. A deep V wallowing at this speed will likely have it's bow pointed higher, but will have plenty of bow deadrise (angle) to cut into the water.

Keep in mind that the CD22 only wallows over about a 3 knot range, and most deep Vs wallow for about a 10-15knot range, but if you simply must run in that 3 knot wallow window, you are in for some work in your CD22 that might be avoided in a deep v.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: