The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Wiring advice requested (sorry!)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yukonjbishop

City/Region: Yukon
State or Province: YT
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Silvertip
Photos: Silvertip
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Wiring advice requested (sorry!) Reply with quote

The wiring in my C-Dory needs to be re-worked. Attached is a photo showing the current wiring. It is a 2 bank battery system - both Group 24 deep cycle. Currently all connections are by ring terminal directly to the battery terminals. The house battery terminals are a congested mess.

Also attached is a photo of my proposed rewiring - I'm new to the wiring game - before I proceed I'd like some feedback hopefully to confirm the proposed wiring plan is good to go OR to identify problems with the plan or changes/improvements that should be made.

You'll see I plan to change my battery switch from the traditional Off/1/2/Both to a Dual Circuit Blue Sea and add an Automatic Charging Relay (ACR) with Start Isolator (the Blue Sea Add-A-Battery Kit). I was concerned about the ACR's parasitic draw (15ma) when the battery switch is in the "Off" position and spoke to tech support at Blue Sea today… they advised me to connect the ACR to the output posts on the battery switch which will eliminate the ACR parasitic draw when in the off position. I have attached a photo showing the Add-A-Battery wiring diagram as recommended by Blue Sea tech support.

Two final questions:

1. Am I correct to connect the Guest AC charger wires directly to the terminals for each battery?

2. I have 2 bilge pumps - one at the bulkhead which is wired into the switch panel at the helm - the switch has an off/auto/manual position. The second (the aft bilge) is in the well at the drain plug. I was thinking the aft bilge should be wired directly to the terminals on the house battery to bypass the battery switch.

Comments, suggestions. Thanks. Preparing the boat for a several week trip in SE Alaska… leaving in 3 1/2 weeks.

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring advice requested (sorry!) Reply with quote

yukonjbishop wrote:
I was concerned about the ACR's parasitic draw (15ma) when the battery switch is in the "Off" position and spoke to tech support at Blue Sea today… they advised me to connect the ACR to the output posts on the battery switch which will eliminate the ACR parasitic draw when in the off position.

I found the parasitic draw after hooking things up the usual recommended way. The initial suggestion was to put a small switch in the ground wire for the ACR, which I would then turn off. But to me one of the things about the "modern" battery switch and ACR is that you just turn the boat "on" when you get there, and "off" when you leave. Having to remember another little extra switch rubbed me the wrong way. When I mentioned this, Blue Sea tech support suggested your latter method to me: The two large wires coming from the ACR go to the "cold" side of the 1 and 2 positions on the battery switch. Problem solved and no "extra" little switches.

yukonjbishop wrote:
I was thinking the aft bilge should be wired directly to the terminals on the house battery to bypass the battery switch.

As another idea: I have both of my bilge pumps wired to a small positive bus that is before the battery switch. That way they are always "live" but there are no additional terminals right on the house battery.

yukonjbishop wrote:
Preparing the boat for a several week trip in SE Alaska… leaving in 3 1/2 weeks.

Sweet!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with what you propose. I am surprised that a 2005 boat was wired directly to the battery to the extent yours was.

I have a very similar setup to yours--but put a 12 fuse block behind the main console, replacing the 6 gang fuse bloc--and put an additional 6 switch panel in--so I could switch my electronics on and off.

I wired the VSR thru the on/off switch, to eliminate the parasitic draw. Each leg of the battery charger is to a battery (3 legs, and 3 AGM group 31--including one bank for a freezer.

I also added the second bilge pump aft, put no float switch, since they are often a point of failure. The second bilge pump is entirely manual, and thru the console. The first bilge pump just inside the cabin door, is auto, off and manual on the switch at the console, not to the battery. My choice--and not a thing wrong with what you are doing.

When the boat is at rest in the water most of the water from the cockpit will run into the bilge sump just inside of the aft bulkhead near amidships.

Your plan sounds good.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
yukonjbishop

City/Region: Yukon
State or Province: YT
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Silvertip
Photos: Silvertip
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, I was hoping I'd hear from you and it's comforting to hear I'm on the right path. I'll probably revise the aft bilge to a switch control.
Thanks Sunbeam, I agree with you about a simple modern on/off battery switch, I'm glad to hear your Blue Sea set up works.
Time to heat shrink... and thanks again for the advice.
kasnmart

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: boat-y-sattva
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring advice requested (sorry!) Reply with quote

Great diagrams,
I am taking on similar task...as a newbie.
Can you clarify what the "cold side" is? Will that be obvious in the documentation for the ACR.?
san juanderer

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: wiring Reply with quote

BEP makes a cluster On/Off & ACR as one unit, the parasite draw can be wired to eliminate the draw per there drawing.[
Commander 30 Sportfish (sold)
Olympic 26 XL (sold)
Glassply 19 (sold)
Olympic 23 (sold)
Bayliner 38 Motoryacht (sold)
Olympic 20 (sold)
Fiberform 16 (sold)
Olympic 18 (sold)
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring advice requested (sorry!) Reply with quote

kasnmart wrote:
Great diagrams,
I am taking on similar task...as a newbie.
Can you clarify what the "cold side" is? Will that be obvious in the documentation for the ACR.?

I think I might be the one who said that. What I mean is, when you wire up a switch, the "hot" lead from the battery goes onto certain terminals on the switch; then the loads (the things you are going to put power to when you turn the switch on) go on other terminal(s) on the switch. I called the latter the "cold" side. In other words it/they is only energized when the switch is turned on.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I am wrong but would wire the windlass to the start battery bc the OB is running when I use it
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my two cents worth, but I would go with a better battery charger than the Guest 2610. These Guest chargers have been a problem for many C-Brats in the past. Look into a Pro Mariner or other quality charger.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
kasnmart

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: boat-y-sattva
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sales guy at Fisheries Supplies told me they don't carry or don't recommend the Guest 2610 battery charger anymore cause it's not "really" waterproof.
QUESTION: where is the best spot to locate the batter charger? Same sales guy recommended not in the lazarrette With the battery, unless the lazarrette can be kept dry. I am installing blue sea "add-a battery" kit with the ACR.
Would love pictures of how others have fit everything in.
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put my battery charger (MasterVolt) under the galley. Even if it is "waterproof" you don't want it in wet location.
ThumbsUp

City/Region: Reno
State or Province: NV
Vessel Name: Thumbs Up
Photos: Thumbs Up
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The leads coming out of the ACR in the diagram above have an s drawn in the line with little circles. What does this symbol represent? Is this where a fuse is installed?

I've installed 80amp fuses where the s appears on the blue sea install. I believe this is one of my problems.

Same s symbol are coming out of the positive bus bar in the diagram above.
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the symbol you describe is one of those for fuses. A circuit breaker is a different symbol. However, often in small boats, a circuit breaker is used rather than a large fuse.
ThumbsUp

City/Region: Reno
State or Province: NV
Vessel Name: Thumbs Up
Photos: Thumbs Up
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Bob! What gauge wire would you recommend running between the ACR, switch and battery terminals? I went with the 'bigger is better' mentality and chose 2 AWG, but it's large and cumbersome. Smaller AWG would be more flexible and easier to run.

I have 2 yamaha 50s, not sure if that makes a difference when selecting AWG.
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot depends--if the starting load of the engine goes thru this wire, and the switch (which it does on mine)--then 2 AWG is OK--because your batteries are near the switch. I would stay with that. Your outboards only put out 17 amps each. The biggest draw will be your windlass--40 to 50 amps max.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: