The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Ignition key sometimes doesn't work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smittypaddler

City/Region: Neenah, Wisconsin
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Na Waqa
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Ignition key sometimes doesn't work Reply with quote

I have twin Honda 40s on my CD-22 Cruiser. The starboard engine always starts, no problem, but intermittently the port engine won't. The engine doesn't even grind, and if I wiggle the key or shift lever (I'm never sure which does the trick) it'll start. I took it to a dealer, who, because it's intermittent and of course started every time for him, couldn't find a problem. I'm hoping for suggestions from anyone on how to diagnose the problem, or what part is most likely at fault that I can easily replace.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
C-Dawg

City/Region: Spanaway
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dawg
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it's not the solenoid on the starter motor going out?

C-Dawg sold November 2018
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taken one all apart and put it back together before, but it has been forever. As I recall, there is a detent/lockout and a pin switch inside your control box that keeps it from starting in forward or reverse. I would suspect that if you are jiggling things around and then it works, it is either the switch at the key, the neutral safety pin switch inside, or the detent/lockout is worn and causing things to not line up quite right. If you are jiggling the shifter and then it works, it is probably that pin switch inside. If you are jiggling the key and then it works, it is probably the ignition switch. It was not very fun taking this apart and putting it back together as it was tough to get things lined up again.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bet would be that it's the detent/lockout inside the engine. There's a lockout in the engine that determines if it is in neutral prior to start. I have had similar problems with my starboard engine, especially on hot days when the cable expands a bit.
beermanPDX

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Photos: Jean Marie
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also would guess it's a problem with the neutral safety switch. I had a very similar issue with my starboard engine (Honda 90). The control cable from my helm control is attached to a rod / linkage under the engine cover. That rod only depresses the neutral safety switch when it's in neutral. What had happened with mine was that the plastic nut that holds the safety switch on to it's bracket had loosened, effectively moving the switch further away from the rod. Sometimes it would contact the rod properly, sometimes it wouldn't. I just re-tightened it with a dab of thread locker and no problems since.

Have someone move the helm control lever in and out of gear (engine off) while you look for the corresponding moving part under the engine cover. You should be able to see the linkage moving and where it comes in contact with a switch.

Rob
2008 25 Cruiser - Sold
2002 Nordic Tug 32/4 - Sold
1989 40 Tollycraft Sport Sedan
smittypaddler

City/Region: Neenah, Wisconsin
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Na Waqa
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject: Problem solved Reply with quote

Someone suggested the solenoid on the starter, and that turned out to be the problem...probably. I got the motor to the point where it was failing, and took it immediately to the dealer. Instead of getting his testing equipment in place beforehand, he tried it twice, and it failed twice, but of course when he finally did get his testing equipment in place, it wouldn't fail. Instead of repeatedly bringing it to the dealer for a $200 labor charge each time, I had them replace the solenoid, the cheapest part that could be the culprit, hoping that was the problem. It hasn't failed since.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
C-Dawg

City/Region: Spanaway
Photos: C-Dawg
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Someone suggested the solenoid on the starter

Cool Fleeting moments of brilliance. Beer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: