View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcr_pnw

City/Region: Puget Sound
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Photos: Sea Star
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Possession Salmon - 2015 Reply with quote

Yet again, time for another great season. Chinook went off with a bang and ended abruptly. I had a great start then a fillet knife mishap, an ER visit, and 7 stitches later I was out for about a week and the best fishing of the short season. Was still able to put some meat in the freezer. Kevin on Catch 22 had a banner year.

Now time to shift to pinks and silvers. Pinks are already in and being caught in good numbers off Possession and Jeff Head. Fish checker in Everett had 131 pinks by mid afternoon yesterday. As soon as 8-1 opens I'm sure Humpy Hollow and Shipwreck will be on fire. They are 3-4 weeks early.

Last couple years have been great sharing info here. I know it's put more fish in the boat for me. If you get out, let us know what, where, and when are helping to fill the freezer!

Tom and I will be heading out tomorrow afterwork. Sea Star will be in a slip in Everett through at least September and I'll be fishing most evenings once the pinks and silvers get thick. Feel free to drop me a PM if you'd like to get out for a few hours in the afternoons/evenings.

See you all on the water!

Troy
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Possession Salmon - 2015 Reply with quote

tcr_pnw wrote:
Chinook went off with a bang and ended abruptly.

Migrate north to Area 7, bring Tom with you

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Possession Salmon - 2015 Reply with quote

chromer wrote:
tcr_pnw wrote:

Or migrate west to the ocean. It's been a spectacular chinook season out there. I'm more than 1/2 through my salmon card with nothing but chinook on it. Two weeks ago, we took our limit of 4 fish all over 20lbs. We didn't have to throw anything back to get those either.

tcr_pnw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Possession Salmon - 2015 Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
chromer wrote:
tcr_pnw wrote:

Or migrate west to the ocean. It's been a spectacular chinook season out there. I'm more than 1/2 through my salmon card with nothing but chinook on it. Two weeks ago, we took our limit of 4 fish all over 20lbs. We didn't have to throw anything back to get those either.

Gad, I wish! Time is hard one. Really gotta run for 3 days to make it worth it. Dang hear $200 just in ferry costs. Would love to moor for 2-3 weeks, but then need to make the 4 hour run out.

Where has been good for you? You making the run out to Swiftsure or Blue Dot? Or finding fish in close?
rogerbum

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Possession Salmon - 2015 Reply with quote

tcr_pnw wrote:
rogerbum wrote:
chromer wrote:
tcr_pnw wrote:

Gad, I wish! Time is hard one. Really gotta run for 3 days to make it worth it. Dang hear $200 just in ferry costs. Would love to moor for 2-3 weeks, but then need to make the 4 hour run out.

Where has been good for you? You making the run out to Swiftsure or Blue Dot? Or finding fish in close?

I moor out there most of the summer - it costs me about the same in moorage for a month as it does to get the boat out there so I hear you on the cost issue. For my money though, the fishing there is SO much better than in the sound, it's worth making the trip on the weekends. If you catch the 5:30 Edmonds ferry and drive straight there you can be there by around 9:30.

Swiftsure has been 100% reliable for kings but most are in the 8-14# size range. Blue dot has been good - I've been there once or twice this year and we took some good size fish off of it. A few in the high teens/low 20's. South around Shark Fin or Compass Rose has been even better. Two weeks ago we took our limit of 4 fish and all were over 20. We had 5 bites, 4 made it to the boat - 20, 22, 23 and 25 lbs.

The thing I really like about Neah Bay is that I can get it all there - great bottom fishing along the coast S. of Tatoosh, great king and coho fishing, halibut all year long with a Canadian license and tuna also. No place else in the state can match the range of opportunity and no place else has salmon fishing that is better - Ilwaco or Westport can be just as good, but not better. My worst day of salmon fishing in Neah Bay is about equal to a typical good day in the sound. So I haven't fished the sound much at all in the past 8 years or so. I do a little winter fishing in the sound but I'd really rather fish in the ocean when I can.
tcr_pnw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Possession Salmon - 2015 Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:

I moor out there most of the summer - it costs me about the same in moorage for a month as it does to get the boat out there so I hear you on the cost issue. For my money though, the fishing there is SO much better than in the sound, it's worth making the trip on the weekends. If you catch the 5:30 Edmonds ferry and drive straight there you can be there by around 9:30.

Swiftsure has been 100% reliable for kings but most are in the 8-14# size range. Blue dot has been good - I've been there once or twice this year and we took some good size fish off of it. A few in the high teens/low 20's. South around Shark Fin or Compass Rose has been even better. Two weeks ago we took our limit of 4 fish and all were over 20. We had 5 bites, 4 made it to the boat - 20, 22, 23 and 25 lbs.

The thing I really like about Neah Bay is that I can get it all there - great bottom fishing along the coast S. of Tatoosh, great king and coho fishing, halibut all year long with a Canadian license and tuna also. No place else in the state can match the range of opportunity and no place else has salmon fishing that is better - Ilwaco or Westport can be just as good, but not better. My worst day of salmon fishing in Neah Bay is about equal to a typical good day in the sound. So I haven't fished the sound much at all in the past 8 years or so. I do a little winter fishing in the sound but I'd really rather fish in the ocean when I can.

Agreed it is a helluva place to fish. I'll have to head out and catch up one day with ya if you get an open seat. I'll cover fuel and dinner. The times I have fished out there have been great. Unfortunately the 23 is not the best boat for the job. Takes a lot of work to get out where you need to go. Even in calm conditions, with a good swell we could only manage 10-12 kts comfortably out to Blue Dot. Granted we had our limit of Kings in an hour, but a long day. And if the wind kicks up, good luck trolling in any direction other than where it takes you. Never felt unsafe out there at all, just harder work than it needed to be in a 23. And no self draining deck makes for a mess on board. Next boat will be a cat and I'm sure I'll be doing the same as you.
Catch 22

City/Region: Lynnwood
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Catch 22
Photos: Catch 22
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was definately a short but sweet king season for us in area 9. I ended up with 134 pounds retained on my rod and over 200 for the boat. We released about 6 good fish too. I can't wait for coho to start coming in. It has been great networking with other c-brats and sharing information. I look forward to seeing you folks on the water. Good luck all!
C-Dawg

City/Region: Spanaway
Photos: C-Dawg
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Possession Salmon - 2015 Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
Or migrate west to the ocean. It's been a spectacular chinook season out there.

True dat. I've only been out a few times this year, but the kings do come easily. Good to hear you're catching a lot of big fish out of Neah, Roger, that means they're headed past Westport soon.

I'm headed up to Nootka this Saturday for a week. Hopefully we'll come home with enough meat for the winter. Smile

C-Dawg sold November 2018
Larry Q

City/Region: Rochester, Wa
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-ya
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wash a way beach out of Tokeland is heating up nicely. We boated eight silvers in 3 hours. It should continue through August.
tcr_pnw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Briefly fished Shipwreck with my little brother this evening for a couple hours. Picked up a pair of feisty pinks in about an hour and a half.

One on a UV white flasher and one on an 8in dodger. 80ft and 85ft down.

Short on time so didn't run to Scatchet Head but was nice to find some in close.

Anybody going to brave the masses this weekend?
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started off the Shipwreck this morning, but not hardly any fish. Fished the west side of Possession this morning for about an hour and caught 3 out of 6 pinks on white dodger mini pink squid 70-80 feet down. Really started biting about 11:30 am, but had to run to put crab pots in for slack tide. Fish are on the west side of Possession to Indian Point now, should be crossing over to humpy hollow pretty soon, then look out Surprised

3 more limits of crab today, 20 on my card for the season and I started on July 13. What a season so far!

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
rogerbum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest, what size were the pinks? We caught 6 out at Neah Bay this weekend and all were pretty small - e.g. a couple of pounds. Nice size trout but small even for pinks. I can't remember catching/hooking this many pinks that were so small.
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were the typical 3-4 pound range.
I'm sure we'll see some small ones coming in, too. Can't help to think that the large biomass is feeding on a finite food source so we'll see some smaller pinks. Hope the coho are good size this year.
Hope to get out to Westport next week for some hot action.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everett lot was nearly full yesterday and the ramps were busy. Fish counter said no significant # of coho yet. Give it a week or two.

On a positive, the crabbing has been spectacular! Cool We went out and got a total of 25 for the weekend from two pots, in two pulls.

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crabbed and fished yesterday. 15 crab total ( three limits) . Lots of nice size crab this year. We threw back 50 females or just under sized crab.

trolled for pinks in the wind and 4 ft plus seas. Noaa was predicting 5 mph and one foot or less. Don't know why I even bother to look at Noaa reports anymore. Those dirt bags are always wrong and I am getting tired of it.

Question for the masses. I have not seen a sea star in two years in a crab trap and the crabbing has been great the last two years?? Any connection??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: