ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since departing Nanaimo in early June we have been poking around the Sunshine Coast and Desolation Sound. We had a different goal this summer of going slowly and staying places at least 2 nights. This allowed for much more time to read, beach comb and just enjoy life together. We actually stayed quite a long time in places like Pender Harbour (2 weeks) and Westview/Powell River (5 weeks). Long enough to really grt to know the area. Then onward. Places in Desolation Sound that have 74 degree water for swimming and day after day of calm winds and sunshine. No cell reception, no worries. So many highlights of why we cruise. Met many new cruisers to keep in touch with. Kerri On is running flawlessly with no issues in 88 engine hours this season and 715 miles so far since May 8. We are in Campbell River today not been in my own boat before. The water is 55 F almost 20 degrees cooler than 25 miles away in Desolation. The current off CR never quits and floods in from the north so is cold. We are going to store the boat for a couple weeks and do a road trip to see family in September. Then a Fall cruise of the Gulf Islands. We met c brats out here Ron and Anne on Meander found us in Grace Harbour and Jan on C Change and Dorothy and Bill on Blue Skies came up as we were fueling in Refuge Cove Nice to visit with friends. We have been surprised at the lack of wildlife in these popular area. Not even dolphins this year. But fish all over. Great to see schools of little fish every where. Melanie Cove trails were posted closed due to a momma bear with cubs but we didn't see them. Great season so far and more to come. Carolyn and George
ghone

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much has happened since last update. We took a road trip without the boat thru southern BC to visit family in Alberta and to scout cruising opportunities in the Kootenays and Chilcotin areas of BC. This Fall we also bought a small condo to serve as a home base for further travel. Market bottomed out here so we thought why not? Moved off the boat in early December and are enjoying condo life. Very easy. Power comes out of the wall and water out a spout. Next month we go to Kona Hawai'i for 7 weeks to tune up for a gruelling summer of cruising.
Starting off with the Friday Harbour CBGT, we'll cruise the SJ's for a bit then load up to start an inland BC, Idaho, Montana and Washington loop trip. We plan on running up the Okanagan valley boating in the lake near Vernon and then on to the Shuswap lakes prior to high season. On a bit to Revelstoke and lakes and meander to Nakusp and Upper and Lower Arrow Lakes. On down to Castlegar and Columbia River and Kootenay lake and east to Creston and on to Koocanusa Lake. Learning about the history of the dam creation projects and resulting issues since good and bad. Interested in history of the towns also. More East to Waterton Lake and then dip south for Hungry Horse, Flat head and start looping back end of July to Lake Pend Or Reil and Cor de lene and others on the way west. Heard about the Scablands in Washington and how it's topography is pretty unique. Back into BC for early September to hop a flight to Reno for the Air Races and then a Fall cruise thru the Gulf Islands and San Juan's.
A bit of a different trip this season. Inland lakes, mostly reservoirs and in holiday season. We wanted a closer to home waters explore this year, as we have zero time in this mode in our own backyard. Kerri On is serviced and in storage, when we get back from Kona we'll bottom paint and clean and load up. Likely a lesser load this year as we won't be loaded for live aboard, only 3-4 months. What has anyone else got planned for a trip this season? George and Carolyn
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey G&C!
We're currently in AZ "downsizing" stuff from the house prior to putting it on the market.
We plan to head East in about mid-February, hopefully to get in on the Hontoon Island CBGT but we'll see....
From there, plans call for us to launch at Astor, FL and head North on the ICW to the Chesapeake Bay and back. We're planning a slow trip and planning for six months on the water.
I can hardly wait; I'm getting dang tired of this downsizing, estate sales, and all that. Too much like Work!
Best,
C&M
PS: Where did you buy your condo?

ghone

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right downsizing is a big job. We did 2 households purged into a 10x10 storage for the last few years. I am helping my aunt move to a care home now so doing it some more. There is obviously a biz op in downsizing/ de clutter. I thought at some point to take El and Bill's excellent idea of a "safe Harbor". Market conditions and mortgage rates coincided to be a no brainer so we just did it. Our home port is Nanaimo and our realtor found a nice 2 bedroom condo that had just been all renovated in colors we liked and at a price that allows us to keep being nomadic. With someplace to regroup at. It's 5 minutes to downtown Nanaimo and backs on a nice park. Once downsized stay downsized! That 10x 10 had enough stuff to outfit an 850 sq ft condo! Amazing. Carolyn is on a fru fru diet. Keep the clutter to a minimum. A woman does need a few dollies and stuff but hey keep it real! Good luck on the sale and get back afloat. All the best. G and C.
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi George,

Sounds great!

Maybe you have mentioned before, but how do you spend 7 weeks in Hawaii at a reasonable rate? Do you rent vacation rental, have a time share, or know good friends?

Have a great time.
Steve
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi George and Carolyn,.

Sounds like you are planning on cruising some of my favorite country. Nakusp is my favorite hot springs in the world, and the Arrow Lakes are beautiful. the scariest hiway I have ever driven goes south from there. (Learn to hug the wall and don't look, in any direction.)

Sure hope to cross wakes at some point. I am planning on heading up the island, but sounds like you will be gone by then. Likely, July to Aug. Should see you at Friday Harbor for sure.

Working on the downsizing thing. Ouch, ouch ouch. What did I ever do with all this stuff? Twisted Evil

Stay warm and dry, and see you in the Spring.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ghone

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been out of Campbell River the last 2 weeks exploring thru the current passes in the back route of passages north
Heriot Bay on Quadra is a favorite spot, then north thru Surge Narrows to the Octopus marine park, quiet and remote
Took us thru Hole in the Wall and Yaculta rapids infamous for horror stories but easy at slacks
Few boats in those waters, very warm, windy at times
Challenging navigation keeps many boats out
We're in Gowland Harbour tonight, caught a window to get around Cape Mudge, blew 30 knots plus yesterday at Heriot Bay, bit boisterous on the way down from Surge Narrows
Supposed to blow more the next couple days we may go overnight at posh April Point lodge, just because
We're going to haul out and trailer north for coolness
Maybe Telegraph Cove and go look for Orca
We'll see you in Ladysmith
Kerri On and crew are living large
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you & Carolyn are doing well this summer. If it doesn't cool down enough for you around Telegraph Cove, keep heating north. Here in Sitka its 58 F this evening & raining.

J&J

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J & J, I'd love some of that cool right now. 89 going to 100 today. That would be great if the fat would melt. It doesn't, just everything else. Went out to the car this morning to head for the car wash. All the tires had melted off Shocked don't know if it was from the hot drive yesterday or the heat today. Twisted Evil

George, Hope to be heading up towards Telegraph in a couple of weeks. Leave some Orca there for me please. Saw tons of Humpbacks around Juneau. Great. Hope to see you at Ladysmith. I'm still working on retirement ideas. Keep an eye out for a Red strip 22, twin 50 Honda's. Say Hi if you see her.

Good to hear that Kerri On is treating you well. I'm sure that comes from you treating her very well first.

Happpy Canada Day,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ghone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay 58F is too cold and Harvey 100F is too warm!!
Good thing we can move to where it suits
Nice today tucked in Gowland Harbor while it blows out in Discovery Passage 20-25 now more tonight, got a nice lee in behind a couple islets.
Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:22 am    Post subject: stay snug & cool Reply with quote

George & Carolyn, Stay snug & cool. Apparently you have your act together.

I wonder some times how I let my life get so out of control that I've got this duty to perform before I can get loose. So here I sit in 105 degree temps wishing I was in Desolation Sound.

Oh well,
Just read "The Curve of time" by M Wylie Blanchet about boating there in the '20s & '30s. It really made me question my sanity.

oh well again

Chuck

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: stay snug & cool Reply with quote

Two Bears wrote:

Just read "The Curve of time" by M Wylie Blanchet about boating there in the '20s & '30s.

That's a wonderful book, isn't it? I read it just as I was taking my first trip up the Inside Passage.

You might also enjoy "Following the Curve of Time," by Cathy Converse. (It's a combination of retracing the path and biography of sorts published in 2008.)

PS: Once again - last fall on Powell - I made great use of the splashwell "step over" board that I copied from Two Bears. Thanks!
ghone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desolation is the place to be, about the only place on the coast not seeing 25-30 knots day/night since Monday!! Huge high off our coast just sitting there
We're at April Point resort at the marina, low key here, but via water taxi to Painters Lodge is upscale
Took the taxi and spent yesterday in posh surroundings, lunch and dinner out wow treats
Wanting to get to Campbell River today, we'll see what slack does, 20+ NW now with 16 knot fllood at Seymour Narrows later up the coast a bit, full moon stuff
Throw that schedule out! Good thing we don't have one
George
ghone

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any C Brats in the Gulf Islands this week? Kerri On is heading south towards Saltspring and the Penders this week looking for whales
Will keep an eye out for anyone
Blake and Rhonda are running thier new to them NT32 thru there so may see them somewhere
Have a great week
George
ghone

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Solstice everyone!! Kerri On is on the hook in Garden Bay Pender Harbour. The skipper is enjoying a couple of fine pale ales. Slow meander north to the Gathering in Powell River. Any c brats around? Wind is kinda boisterous headed west 20-25 on the nose. Malaspina strait is Not to be trifled with. No rush. Pender Harbour is a wonderful place. George
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: