View previous topic :: View next topic  
sillawydna

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lumpsucker
Photos: sillawydna
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject: Dutch Harbor to Kodiak Reply with quote

Proof I've been living my life right. Got an email a week ago from my girlfriends father who is crossing from Hawaii on the family sailboat. He said if we could get to Dutch Harbor the first couple days of July we could hitch a ride to Kodiak. How can you pass that up! Two weeks and 800 miles in the Aleutians. Tickets bought, bag is packed.

Anyone been up there and have any suggestions on things not to miss along the way?

Andy
Sasscom

City/Region: St. Michaels
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: ViewFinder
Photos: ViewFinder
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just returned from Dutch Harbor after joining Tony Fleming aboard his Fleming 65 in Sand Point on Popof Island. We took four days to get to Dutch Harbor from Sand Point cruising at 10 knots after waiting for a good WX window. Dutch is interesting, as it is a thriving fishing port. Recreation boats are quite rare. Rent a car in Dutch and drive up to the ruins of Fort Schwatka on Mount Ballyhoo to see the WWII underground gun placements and get a great view of the harbor. Enjoy an excellent dinner at the Chart Room in the Grand Aleutian Hotel and lunch at Amelia's. Don't miss the Museum of the Aleutians. Heading east after Dutch, there's nothing until Sand Point except great scenery. Get a slip at the small boat harbor in Sand Point and walk up to the General Store, where you can buy just about anything from batteries to washing machines to fresh produce. If you see Robbie, the manager, he may give you a guided tour around town in his van. Mostly "clousy" WX but great people. Enjoy your voyage.
Suzuki 150s
Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beach comb on Unimak. Lots of glass floats, crab boat floats ,bears, Volcano and gray whales. The North side on the Bering Sea is the only side I'm slightly familiar with. I think I have some photos in my album from Unimak. If you camp on Unimak mind the bears......... lots of them. Its like camping in Jurassic Park.

The Aleutians have altered my perception on the nature of life and death. It has a way of exposing ones mortality that is seldom felt in our normal lives.

Pack your bags and Go!!!
sillawydna

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Lumpsucker
Photos: sillawydna
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions! Looking forward to the cool fog this year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: