The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

2 batteries, 2 sixty hp yamahas and 2 battery switches

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leon

City/Region: Terrace
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea Nile
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: 2 batteries, 2 sixty hp yamahas and 2 battery switches Reply with quote

Hi
Bought a 2011 23ft Venture C-Dory in St John's Nfl, and hauled it all the way across Canada to Terrace BC. It is in storage right now, hoping to retire next year and make a lot of uses out of it. Right now I am at work a 1000 miles from where it is stored. And I am going to research it to learn the systems before heading out to the ocean for a week or two at a time.
1. Question, it has 2 batteries, 2 motors and 2 battery switches. How is that wired in? What is charging with what switches in what combination? I did notice that I needed the port switch on to work the port engine trim.

2. I have a garmin 4210 chartplotter, and it suppose to have the east coast charts on it, How do I tell what charts are on it, and what charts do I need for the west coast, North west BC?

Other things that are getting worked on, the wallas stove/heater wasn't working right, so the former owner took it apart a little, it is in Victoria BC getting reassembled and checked out....might have some questions on that.

The water system had a bunch of leaks including one out of the bottom of the pump, ordered a new pump. I am thinking the boat wasn't winterized. It has instant hot water, I was told that didn't work, noticed it wasn't plugged into the inverter. I am thinking I want to keep it simple and maybe remove the water heater, and heat my water on the stove.
Bought a couple of scotty electric downriggers and a scotty puller. yet to be installed.
Some canvas snaps are missing on the canvas back, and noticed a second hole after getting the first one fixed, I am thinking I will get it into an upholsterer to fix holes, snaps etc and maybe makes some curtains for the inside of the cabin. The cabin has the snaps for curtains but no curtains.

There is a lot of storage space on the boat, but it need boxes selves to make better uses of it.

Looking for a boarding ladder too.

Any ideas help etc would be appreciated

thanks

Leon
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your boat!

Hard to tell about your batteries without a little more info. Do you have two matching deep-cycle marine batteries (for house and cranking) or do you have a deep cycle house battery and a high amp cranking (starting) battery?

What you have indicated regarding the port motor tilt and batter suggest two identical marine batteries and a redundant system. The idea is that one battery starts and charges off of one motor, and the other starts and charges off the second.

There is usually a switch labeled "interconnect" or "emergency only" as well that will allow you to tie the two systems together if one battery is dead and the other is not (often automatic systems like bilge pumps, CO detector, etc. are run only off one battery so that the other is truly OFF and can be used to start either motor when "interconnect" is used).

Your setup may vary. If you aren't sure, send pics to help us get the idea.

Good luck!
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battery setup is a tough guess as the installations can vary so much. If you only have what you listed and the switches only say On/Off, then it could be pretty easy to guess but if one or more says "both or emergency", or you find a third switch, it can be complicated. If you don't have the time or experience to trace out the details, I would hire an hour of marine electrician time to do that and explain/draw the system out right from the start.

The Garmin chartplotter you have should have come preloaded with all US coastal charts for both coasts. Canadian charts would have been additions but panning and zooming in to a spot in western BC waters will give you the answer pretty quick. You should see coastal details, marine symbols, and possibly some contour lines as well. If you don't have coverage, the map will be scary simple and not very helpful looking.

Good luck with all the projects and do some searches on those tasks to see what others have done here. Very useful.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the boats were delivered, in most cases they came without motors...and individual dealers installed the motors, which also included wiring the batteries... so there are lots of different styles of wiring....my boat came without any switches...no way to shut off the batteries...each motor charged a different battery... (cheap dealer...no longer sells C-Dory)

I use a tiny spray of silicone lube on my snaps and it seems to help them attach and come loose... but you might as well buy a snap kit with the tool to install new snaps as it is a common problem for snaps to come apart and be lost...

After several years of use, water system leaks happen just from the flex and movement of the parts.... you need to keep an eye on it and fix em when you see them.... it's never ending.... these are just part of the routine of owning a boat....any boat.

Joel
SEA3PO
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats

Unit came with BlueChart g2 marine map and probably needs free system and installed charts updating
or other maps are available for a fee
see
https://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00690-01

When you power on the unit it displays briefly the OS and map versions or from the Home Screen, select Configure, System, then System Info (owner's manual, page 3)

Updating requires a computer and a SD memory card

see
Garmin 4210
https://support.garmin.com/support/sw/supportPage/display?locale=en_US&topicIDs=%7Bf25d2860-030a-11dc-e9ab-000000000000%7D&topicIDs=Chartplotters&topicIDs=%7B6a9a7f70-df73-11e3-c98c-000000000000%7D&topicIDs={304db230-422e-11dd-c388-000000000000}
Manual

BrentB

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We like Sailrite to purchase items although found good quality items at Joann Fabric storie
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Garmin 4210 came with charts of the US coast, but for Canada you had to buy Blue Chart G2 charts--and if they had Eastern Canada, you are going to have to come up with a few bucks for Western Canada. There is a fee paid to a making agency for the Canada Charts, where as the US are in the Public Domain.

As folks have said anyone's guess on the switches--but probably one battery is hooked up, so I is engine, 2 is house. The other is engine, and "combine"--or #2 battery hooks to the other start battery.

I much prefer 3 batteries, with a dedicated house battery, and a Voltage Sensitive Relay, to charge all of the batteries from both engines. No switches normally. to play with.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Leon

City/Region: Terrace
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea Nile
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I sent an email off to the boat dealer, hoping they reply on the matter of battery switches etc.... next time I get a chance I will check out my chartplotter.

Leon
BrentB

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck

it will all come together in short order
BrentB

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck

it will all come together in short order
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that a picture is worth a thousand words. One can only guess how the electrical system works bases on the components mentioned above.

So my suggestion is to make a diagram using the switches, batteries and motor as starting points. Next see what wires connect them and what color. Not only will it start to make sense to you, but show that to a C-Brat or dealer and you'll have some concrete advice. Don't forget the black grounds, because they complete the circuit. And the fuses, though they can come after the first part of the diagram is complete.

Boris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: