Slips and falls

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Slips and falls Reply with quote

After filling freshwater tank, I learned in a hurry things can get slick ,and you gotta watch your step. Our slip is in the big boat section ,so the first step down is pretty big. I was hurrying and stepped from dock quick onto top gunwale ,I think you call it? Second step fell backwards while slipping into boat ,hitting my back and side .More embarrassed than hurt should have been slower,guess it was a good lesson learned. Then I talk to a guy on same dock ,his wife broke her leg getting on boat this season ,he broke his ankle last year,surprized about their bad luck. Would think its not real common ,but now thinking its easy to have a slip on a boat. Im watching the wife like a hawk as she gets in and out,just thought I would share,maybee prevent someone from having a first slip and fall,guess saying one hand on boat and one for yourself and slow going is a good safety idea,at 55 I jump around like still 40 think I will take it easy from now on.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can relate to this one. Not too long ago I fell into my boat, which is better then out of I guess, but it hurt like the dickens. I was simply stepping from the dock over the gunnel and my trailing foot snagged the rail on the way in. I don't think anyone saw it.

Actually, these little incidents with no lasting harm are good lessons. Thank you for bringing it up.

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo wrote:
I don't think anyone saw it.

Well that's the main thing Laughing

Seriously though, good reminder as it's often those "little things" that will get you. When I was single-handing on Powell last fall, I was being really careful to not fall overboard, not slip and turn an ankle (or worse) when hiking, not run into a rattlesnake, not get dehydrated, not get tangled in the anchor rode, etc. etc.

Then one evening at anchor, securely tucked into a glassy cove.... I nearly cut my finger off slicing a lime while making dinner Shocked Didn't see that one coming...
bshillam

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject: slip and fall Reply with quote

So I was the one that opened my lazerette on the Tolly I. The cockpit. Left it open to air while doing other things. Not five minutes later, walked backwards into the three foot hole. Luckly the only thing hurt was my sense of seamanship and safety.

A product I am thinking about,
Wireless kill switch. It monitors the operator and others on your boat.

Also let me add,
Never put yourself between the boat and another object. Have a free fender with six foot line. My dad is about a 1/4 less of a finger due to just that. I always keep a free fender. My wife handles the lines. He wasn't aware of the free fender and tried to stop my 20,000lbs boat. Even though we had a satey breifing and it's on there not to put yourself in danger. In a moment things happen quickly, we need to know how to handle the matter and to do so safely. Buy accidents do happen, so we should also be prepared for those too.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good reminders. Trips, slips and falls can happen in a heart beat. I've done it on the dock, so far not on and especially not off the boat.

Single handing, good reason to take things slow and easy, keep patterns regular, and stay aware.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I heard that stepping into an open hatch is the number one cause of boat owners insurance claims. I stepped into the open fish box on the TomCat and dropped a brand new camera overboard! Be careful out there.

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boating reminds me of when I used to raise exotic sea horses and other salt water things. the old motto was:

"Only bad things happen quickly"

every time I step out on the gunnels to go drop anchor or even just in my driveway washing the boat, I am afraid the first time I stop thinking about falling, i'm going to fall.

JPL

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: Bucket List
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worry most about the kids on the dock. Today I was fishing on a dock with my kids (2,5) and my sons friend (5) and sure enough my sons friend slipped or tripped and slid straight off the end of the dock into the water. Luckily he did not go under the dock and was we were able to get him back up really easily.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: