The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cooler Rack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CDory23

State or Province: CA
Photos: CDory23
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Cooler Rack Reply with quote

I have researched a lot of Splashwell modifications on this site. I have finally decided for my needs a cooler rack with a cutting board custom mounted on top of cooler is the best fit for my needs. I was originally going to customize it from scratch something similar to this: pic a few posts in

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=21112

I found limited information on the factory racks but really like this one I found. I was really just looking for an easy order rack instead of working with a shop or customizing it myself because of other projects I have going on right now. If anybody has any current information on the factory racks or where I could order a rack that would work it would be very helpful. Thanks

http://www.c-brats.com/albums/2007-cdory-photos/2007_c_dory_002.jpg
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Dory23, that first picture you referenced is the small cooler on my 22 Crusier. It hangs on a bar that runs between the lazerettes and sits into the splash well. It does keep the OB's from tilting forward all the way up to get the props out of the water. That would be my only complaint with that set up. It keeps the cooler out of the cabin and up off the sole, so in that way it is a big plus. I don't use a cooler often but when I do, this is the one that I use.

Harvey
[b]SleepyC[/b] Moon

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cooler rack can also make getting in and out of the boat more difficult. It kind of blocks the way to/from the swim step (if you have one). It also puts the cooler up more in the sun. We use a cooler but keep it in the cockpit. It also doubles as a table.
CDory23

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies. For the majority of my fishing trips I do the sun on the cooler and the access into the boat is not a problem. The permatrims are useful as a nice step but I have the Garelick 4 step ladder which works great. The cockpit turns in to valuable space and getting the cooler off the floor is my main goal. To have it double as a cutting/bait board on top would help as well.

With that being said those are great points and I was hoping to find a rack that would be easily removable for days when it would not be practical. I read a post somewhere on here with a removable system.

It would be great if I could find a factory removable rack to fit my needs and I have contacted C dory about there current options and haven't heard back. At worst I will be customizing something up and have a local shop put it togethere with 316.
bcassal

City/Region: BLoomington
State or Province: IN
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Carpy
Photos: Carpy
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a very simple platform to sit over the splash well. It attaches to a bar that spans the splash well, We use it to store the cooler while under way, and for cooking and food prep as well as other uses. Simple construction of epoxy coated plywood. Like most of my modifications, it was inspired by another C-brat on this site. I wouldn't be without it!
Photos in my album: Carpy; Modifications and improvements.

Bruce Cassal
Carpy
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bcassal wrote:

Photos in my album: Carpy; Modifications and improvements.

I'm compelled to warn you that this behavior can be dangerous. I've done it, and it causes major growth in my mod list Cry

Mr. Green
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another home-made cooler rack. Top can abe modified for a cutting board. Photos start here: (Click on photo.)

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
CDory23

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carpy, I do like your table, as it seems to be the most universal. I might consider making mine out of starboard. Where did you purchase the transom bar? Thanks!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my cooler, I keep a white towel folded (2 layers at least), over the top and in place with a bungee cord. This provides extra insulation. I have a silver foil reflector that I have used on top of that if it is really warm and lots of direct sun. It can also be moistened for evaporative effect to increase cooling.

I used to have a table that fit over the top of the cooler, with slats down on each side to keep it stable. It would work on this cooler except it is different sized.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I noticed with the cooler rack that came with my boat is that if it is in the cooler parts of the year it will not fit because the boat contracts too much. In the summer it fits fine.
CDory23

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting all materials necessary tomorrow to make and install a table on the splashwell very similar to Carpys. I am sizing it to fit a YETI 110 which will also have a cutting board on the top of that.

I am going to make the table out of 1" starboard with 1/2" borders. I plan on using SS screws to secure the border to the main slab on starboard. I have not worked much with starboard and I know that that is difficult to glue anything but I"m wondering of a sealant or anything else I can use when securing the borders. Any help on this or other tips building appreciated. Thanks
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDory23 wrote:

I am going to make the table out of 1" starboard with 1/2" borders. I plan on using SS screws to secure the border to the main slab on starboard. I have not worked much with starboard and I know that that is difficult to glue anything but I"m wondering of a sealant or anything else I can use when securing the borders. Any help on this or other tips building appreciated. Thanks

1) Loctite does make a special glue that bonds starboard (HDPE/High Density Poly Ethylene) together:
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/sg_plstc/overview/Loctite-Plastics-Bonding-System.htm

2) Also, some mechanical bonding is in order. Use deeply grooved screws such as sheet metal screws with good sized heads.
Counter sink the heads for cosmetic and safety reasons. Make sure the screw tips don't protrude(!)
Drill pilot holes in both HDPE pieces, but keep the screw fit tight for a good bond. Add some glue as in #1 above to lock the screws in place.
One could even through bolt them with machine screws and nylock nuts, counter sinking the screw heads and nuts.

My two cents! Laughing

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: