View previous topic :: View next topic  
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: No Condensation, Reply with quote

Hi George (Kerri On),

You and Carolyn spend a lot of time on your boat, did you find a cure for V-Berth ventilation? I remember awhile back you talked about useing soffit material. How did that work out?
Any input from other Brats would be welcome. I have to do something, my admiral is getting crabby about the condensation.

I told her about my old navy days about coming off watch and getting in a "warm" hammock still smelling of the previous occupant's sweat. A bit of condensation is nothing. She was not amused with that either!

Martin.
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Hypervent Reply with quote

Hi Martin, you're right I had good sucess with vinyl soffit material but still had too much condensation near feet and more on Carolyn's side ( she's hot!)
I just took it out and installed Hypervent from Industrial Plastics It should do way better It's a bit on the spendy side I got 8 lineal feet of 40" wide at $168.00 Cdn
Our week out last week produced no moisture Better get some! I also put 1/2 inch foam on the berth sides and deck but not cabin over head
Cozy now
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timely question. I have had very little issue with condensation, but see it mentioned often. I have wondered if DryDeck under the sleeping mattresses would make a difference. It would allow much more air circulation under the pads.

I do keep the front hatch open at least to the first notch, and the center window is open to that first notch and then one side window is open ~4 inches. Also, I have my CPAP machine running which works kind of like a fan.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also use HyperVent below the V-berth cushions, together with a length of unicellular foam (backpacker sleeping pad from Walmart, $Cool along each side and that seems to help a lot. Ventilating the closed space seems to be very useful, but when you're trying keep warm that is problematic.

We ordered a 12v fan to help move the air, and that will help some as well.

...also a good idea to keep a mop-up towel and a smallish shower squeege handy. Use the squeege on the windows and the towel on the drippy bulkheads and overhead, then hang it outside on the cockpit clothes line.

We're still searching for the perfect solution (...possibly Lake Powell).

Best,
C&M

williwaw

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Williwaw
Photos: Williwaw
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I insulated the V-berth on Williwaw using closed cell foam (1/2" ceiling, 3/8" walls) and it made a MASSIVE difference. Highly recommended for anybody that spends much time sleeping on the boat. No more condensation on walls or ceiling.

I made paper templates for half the berth from brown construction paper then cut the foam to near size. I cleaned the walls with denatured alcohol and used 3M spray adhesive to make it stick. You get a few minutes of working time so it's a bit more forgiving than contact cement. Made final trims using a razor knife with the blade all the way out. Oh, and use a respirator if you don't want to lose a few IQ points. I still have the paper templates around here somewhere so anybody with a Venture 23 (26?) who wants to do it just let me know and I'll pass them on.

Kinda a pain to do but you won't regret it.
chimoii

C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Chimo
Photos: Chimo
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

williwaw wrote:
I insulated the V-berth on Williwaw using closed cell foam (1/2" ceiling, 3/8" walls) and it made a MASSIVE difference. Highly recommended for anybody that spends much time sleeping on the boat. No more condensation on walls or ceiling.

I made paper templates for half the berth from brown construction paper then cut the foam to near size. I cleaned the walls with denatured alcohol and used 3M spray adhesive to make it stick. You get a few minutes of working time so it's a bit more forgiving than contact cement. Made final trims using a razor knife with the blade all the way out. Oh, and use a respirator if you don't want to lose a few IQ points. I still have the paper templates around here somewhere so anybody with a Venture 23 (26?) who wants to do it just let me know and I'll pass them on.

Kinda a pain to do but you won't regret it.

Our 23 Venture was fully foam insulated at the factory and I've never had a problem. Did you add foam over the existing insulation?

Thanks

williwaw

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Williwaw
Photos: Williwaw
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2007 Cape Cruiser so no factory insulation. I believe that became available in 2008 when C-Dory took over manufacturing.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all your great input. It gives me something to work with.

Martin.
BRAZO

City/Region: Full-time Travel
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meyer Meyer
Photos: BRAZO
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are going to try PreciousAire Cut to Fit w/natural fibers to put under the v-berth mattress. Found this suggestion on another boaters site. I'm sure on the way to Alaska this year - it'll give it a good test. On Amazon for $30 for six 20" x 30" pieces.

http://www.flandersfilters.com/wp-content/themes/flandersfilters.com/downloads/sm1006.pdf

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008LR9S6Q?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRAZO wrote:
We are going to try PreciousAire Cut to Fit w/natural fibers to put under the v-berth mattress. Found this suggestion on another boaters site. I'm sure on the way to Alaska this year - it'll give it a good test. On Amazon for $30 for six 20" x 30" pieces.

http://www.flandersfilters.com/wp-content/themes/flandersfilters.com/downloads/sm1006.pdf

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008LR9S6Q?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

That looks interesting - that's 25sq of material for $30 or $1.20/sq ft. Compared to Hypervent - 1 linear foot of the 39" wide material is 3.25 sq. ft and costs $12. That's $3.69/sq. ft. or about 3x more. Now admittedly, you will have to tape together more squares to get full v-berth coverage but that's not a big deal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: