The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Launching in Low water levels

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CDory23

State or Province: CA
Photos: CDory23
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Launching in Low water levels Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm going up to Eagle Lake in Lassen forest for my first time. Obviously a huge benefit of the C-Dory in this situation is the Draft, specs say 7". With that being said Eagle Lake is Very low as many lakes are with the drought. I don't think I have anything to worry about reading this last report, but wanted to get a feel of what others thought. Was planning on staying 3 nights sleeping on boat but did book a campsite to stretch legs and have a fire as well. Plan was to launch boat and moor it in shallow water, Marina said you can just hop in water with waders or shorts and walk to campsite. Any advice from anybody boating/launching in these low water conditions or experience at Eagle lake would be appreciated. Report is below but generally water is 20-24" deep around ramp. I have a Navionics chart card to help me out with hazards. Thanks. I think I will be a site up there launching such a large boat in those conditions!

http://eaglelakefishing.net/eagle-lake-ramp-conditions.php
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest problem is launching ramps. Often they run out--and then you are the end of a washed out ramp. One treatment for that is to dump gravel, but still watch for the end of the ramp. A shallow draft/low incline ramp means you cannot float the boat. There are ways around this: Not always easy. A tongue extension is what sailboats use often. or a tongue Dolly. At times it may be necessary to detach the trailer, keeping line /chain on it, and let it work on down further into the lake. At times I have to get the rear of the truck in the water. Coming back on, it may mean winching more to get fully back on the trailer.

Most lakes are clear enough to see navigational hazards. Even in lakes there are often errors in charts. So watch both. Usually you can get the C Dory in close enough to step jump off the swim step to shore. The stern will float in less than a foot. Watch the trim tabs and transducers. Two anchors to shore, out at about 45 degrees on each side to hold the stern stable. Drop a bow anchor out far enough to get 7:1 scope.

Have fun!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my Pacific tandem bunk trailer I need to back in until the trailer fenders are just submerged. That works out to about 30 inches depth at where she floats off with just a tiny tug on the lines.

Launching in less than that can be done by backing and them jamming the brakes. That will fork with about 4' less water level but if you are using a bunk trailer it may leave marks on your bow gel coat, to the sides of the stem. retrieving at that depth is a pain. It will be a winching load almost all the way.

If you have a steep ramp, it may help to float off the bow by having some extra weight in the stern, (like a person or two.) That also can help getting onto a shallow trailer, again best if the ramp is fairly steep.

Good luck, and enjoy the clear water. Remember the transducer for the sounder is on the stern. Try not to find the shallow spots before the 'ducer does. Wink As Bob said, the lake charts are/may not be perfect. Not even my salt chuck chart is 100%, 100% of the time.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

love the lake. Big trout and clear water.

the one thing you have to watch out for on all power generating lakes in the sierras is how much water is going out tonight??? I have seen people end up with boat sitting on the bottom in the morning because they let 2 to 4 ft out that night. Use a bungee rope anchor to pull you boat in to deeper water after you get off.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=33367

watch the video

CDory23

State or Province: CA
Photos: CDory23
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to follow up on this post. I just got back from Eagle Lake. Beautiful place with good fishing. The boat was very easy to launch and retrieve even with just a few feet of concrete ramp left. Not sure the exact depth boat floated off trailer but was around 2 to 2.5ft. The trailer had to be on lake bottom which was very uneven which made the retreival a bit more time consuming to get boat to sit evenly (a couple minutes) but not bad. Any lower and 4wd will be a necessity.
Blueback

City/Region: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Blueback
Photos: Blueback
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDory23 wrote:
I wanted to follow up on this post. I just got back from Eagle Lake. Beautiful place with good fishing. The boat was very easy to launch and retrieve even with just a few feet of concrete ramp left. Not sure the exact depth boat floated off trailer but was around 2 to 2.5ft. The trailer had to be on lake bottom which was very uneven which made the retreival a bit more time consuming to get boat to sit evenly (a couple minutes) but not bad. Any lower and 4wd will be a necessity.

That's (yes--2 to 2.5ft of water) one of the many good features of the Dory design. I have seen some battle royals with V shaped hulls plus IO drive on poorly designed ramps.
I carry a can of silicon spray lubricant and spray the bunks down which lasts for a good long spell. Just be sure you keep the belt hook connected until the hull is safely able to slip into the water on a steep ramp.
This little trick makes launching much easier- just be sure your Dory is well belted for transport.
Geoff

3-Work at rebuilding the endangered runs of salmonids on the West Coast
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: