The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bow weights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Wortsmith

City/Region: White Hall
State or Province: AR
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Just In Case
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Bow weights Reply with quote

I just purchased a used 2,000 C Dory 22' Cruiser that has about 40 Lbs. of added weight to the bow laid into the anchor rope locker. It this necessary? I got a 75HP 4 stroke with a Dolphin Fin stabilizer.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ride quality increases with weight up in front to a point. I upped my anchor to a 25 lb'er and added 40 feet of chain to the rode and noticed a difference immediately.

I don't have any spare space in my anchor locker with the amount of rope and chain I have in there. The previous owner might not have needed that much anchor rode so just used some added weight to compensate.

We'll throw our big mastiff dog up front and it rides even better.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Bow weights Reply with quote

Joe Wortsmith wrote:
I just purchased a used 2,000 C Dory 22' Cruiser that has about 40 Lbs. of added weight to the bow laid into the anchor rope locker. It this necessary? I got a 75HP 4 stroke with a Dolphin Fin stabilizer.

Necessary? No. Does it sometimes improve the ride? Yes. Depends on the conditions in which you boat. If you're mostly on lakes with little chop, I'd lose the weight. If you want to go over 12-16kts in chop over 1' AND you don't have trim tabs, the weight will help smooth out the ride. I permatrim (a bit more surface area than a Dolphin Fin) will also keep the bow down better.

letitride

City/Region: San Jose
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: No Limits
Photos: Letitride
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added ~125ft of G4 chain to the front of my 22ft when I had it and it made a huge difference in the performance (basically added weight to the front).

Proper weight balancing is one of the most important factors in ride quality and it took me a good 3-5yrs to learn that lesson.........I added trim tabs $$$ + Foil $$ + then added the chain and whammmm the boat ride quality was amazing.....for my conditions....2-3ft chop in the afternoon every day from wind.

Move weight around and play with the boat in your ocean area conditions, you can fill jugs of water and add then to the front to figure out the weight required and then order chain length to match that weight.

For me I added the chain for better anchoring I was not trying to solve the weight issue, but I learned balancing the weight for my ocean conditions made a huge difference in the ride quality...

Enjoy the 22 is an awsome boat.....
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current 22 had 100 feet of chain in it when I bought it. First thing I did is to remove it. Yes, putting the bow down in chop, will make the ride better. So will trim tabs, plus the Permatrim. I have one of the Doelfin's--came with the boat. I am going to change to the Permatrim. It works better.

Now the negative with the chain. Going down wind and down seas. You have the weight up there, and you cannot easily move it. Excess weight in the bow (or ends) will cause bow steering, increase tendency to broach and increase hobby horsing. It is best to keep weight out of the ends of the boat (says he who puts in extra batteries, and freezers etc…

If you don't have trim tabs, get them. Then upgrade to the Permatrim. You have the 75, and it is fine, but as the boat gets heavier it tends to need more engine power.

As for anchoring--sure all chain works slightly better. In my large cursing boats I had at least 200 feet of chain. But, for the type of anchoring most of us do, 25 or so feet of chain is plenty. If you are going to stay in the rivers, lakes and the Gulf, SE--10 to 15 is enough.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you could set this up better to me.

+1 all around for bigger ground tackle and more chain. That's very useful weight, not dead weight like you have now. Dead weight is not ideal.

I put on a slightly heavier anchor and went from 10' of chain to 35' of chain. There is more bow weight, but water now sits in my cabin, right by the helm, instead of in the aft sump as it should, even with a big kicker. Also, my windlass has a lot more trouble pulling that gear up now. But I may do away with the windlass in favor of a put puller, so who cares?
Joe Wortsmith

City/Region: White Hall
State or Province: AR
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Just In Case
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Bow weights Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. It seems that a little weight up front is preferred. I'll put the weights back aboard and up front. Joe
Blueback

City/Region: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Blueback
Photos: Blueback
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
My current 22 had 100 feet of chain in it when I bought it. First thing I did is to remove it. Yes, putting the bow down in chop, will make the ride better. So will trim tabs, plus the Permatrim. I have one of the Doelfin's--came with the boat. I am going to change to the Permatrim. It works better.

Now the negative with the chain. Going down wind and down seas. You have the weight up there, and you cannot easily move it. Excess weight in the bow (or ends) will cause bow steering, increase tendency to broach and increase hobby horsing. It is best to keep weight out of the ends of the boat (says he who puts in extra batteries, and freezers etc…

If you don't have trim tabs, get them. Then upgrade to the Permatrim. You have the 75, and it is fine, but as the boat gets heavier it tends to need more engine power.

As for anchoring--sure all chain works slightly better. In my large cursing boats I had at least 200 feet of chain. But, for the type of anchoring most of us do, 25 or so feet of chain is plenty. If you are going to stay in the rivers, lakes and the Gulf, SE--10 to 15 is enough.

Bob--you have many great posts sharing your knowledge and this is another one.
Being a tad bow heavy in a following sea is scary and there is a tendency to here to push the stern around in a bow ballasted vessel. Ballast when added should be around the CG as you know. Trim as you say is best with trim taps and come as standard equipment on the 19 Angler instead of bow ballasting the vessel. I had a dolfin but at some point will move to a Permatrim. Water ballast at least can be dumped if your get into problems . Too many lbs with an anchor chain your stuck with.

3-Work at rebuilding the endangered runs of salmonids on the West Coast
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words, Blueback

I went trust the opposite way with the anchor. My primary anchor now is the 10# Manson Boss. It holds better than any other anchor, and it is lighter. My other 3 anchors are all Fortress designed in 6 and 7 # weights

Yes, water ballast is good--and I am going to post in another thread several boats I just heard about with water ballast.
Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It holds better than any other anchor

As Bob well knows, on the cruisers forum, and others, that statement should generate another thousand posts or so. Smile
If your boat came with storage lockers under the v berth or if you installed them yourself, as some of us have, you can add weight, down low. The weight is spread across a wider area, yet still is forward. For me I have stowed less used items in that area. Extra props, third anchor and rode, extra fenders, pfds, etc. A mixture of hard items and soft items for a good fit.
Regards,
Mark

Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is worth considering. I have an operator at work who uses sandbags up front to counter a kicker on the swim step when he runs a particular jet boat. sand bags could be dumped easily, chain and anchor, not so much.

My CD wants to rise up in the bow. I do take the point about the chain well, and a lighter bow with more trim tab action may be a better way to trim. Dr. Bob is usually right...

FWIW, I probably anchor in much more current and greater depths than most here. It is the need to hold in these situations that brought me to using so much chain, not the ride in chop. I think that if I wanted to save weight I might start with a lighter anchor and keep the chain. I have a couple fortress anchors at work I might borrow to try out. I use a delta now, and I prefer it to my old danforth for holding and for ease of pulling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: